Is it legal for me to own a gun? My house is in a school zone. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Is it legal for me to own a gun? My house is in a school zone.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3042 Times on 1588 Posts
Likes Given: 294

All or nearly all laws are written because someone did something to someone else. If no one ever committed a crime with a gun there would not be any reason to have any gun regulations. Many times these laws are knee jerk reactions to something very bad. No one considered these things to be a problem until someone actually did them. The NFA was penned as a result of the widespread use of machineguns, etc to commit crimes during prohibition. As a result, the "government" felt a need to regulate these arms. Agree or not, our elected officials saw a need and responded.
The GCA of 1968 was a response to the unfettered and sometimes improper movement of arms to the hands of criminals. Yes it was also an attempt to control. Yes, I think many laws, especially gun laws are simply a means to control. Controlling bad behavior and controlling people. Obviously bad behavior needs to be controlled. Controlling people jsut for the sake of control is obviously wrong (but done every day all over the world).
Did either of these laws stop crime? No. They were simply attempts to reduce crime. If you actually believe that ALL gun laws are infringing on our rights to keep and bear arms, you have a very bad case of tunnel vision. Wake up! There are some very bad people out there that will do untold thinigs to you and your family if there were not laws.
How about we simply add enhancements to offenses that are committed with a firearm? Rob a store, get 10 years. Rob a store with a gun, get life. Is that not an infringement of the Constitutional rights of robbers? Last time I checked, Constitutional rights applied to ALL the people including the accused criminal. Maybe their Constitutional rights should end when they "think" about committing a crime.
Without laws we do not have a society, we have Anarchy.

Don't get me wrong, there are laws I do not agree with. I make my opinion known to my State and Federal legislators, Governor and President. If they do not do MY bidding, I vote for the opposition.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

delete please

Last edited by taltamir; 06-08-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
All or nearly all laws are written because someone did something to someone else. If no one ever committed a crime with a gun there would not be any reason to have any gun regulations.
People have been killing each other with knives, sticks, their bare fists and every other plausible instrument from the dawn of time.
None of the gun control laws decrease the violence overall. I daresay they increase it because it makes it more difficulty for the elderly, women, and other "at risk" groups to defend themselves.

Furthermore, even if something specific such as heavy weapons are only used to commit crimes it still does not justify their banning. Machine guns might not be used on daily self defense (still useful against mobs but thats another issue), they still go back to he fundamental principle of the 2nd amendment, being the defense against the government. The knowledge that there are militias armed with heavy weapons would give would be tyrants a pause and ensures the freedom of the people.

Also the "government" is a non entity. It is merely a collection of individual human beings. They just happen to be individual human beings who are in a position of power and authority.

Finally, while you gave an explanation for machine guns being used by organized crime. What about laws banning guns in school (ever heard of an NRA shooting? it seems mass shootings only occur in gun free zones). What about waiting lists? what about laws forbidding the sale of magazines with more then 6 bullets? what about laws increasing the price of a magazine from around 20$ to 300$ just because (well, part of the limitation to 6 bullets requires that the magazine be especially made to not be easily convertible to hold more... so it requires significant cost increases).
In the end it is ignorant people with a deep seated faith in the evilness of the gun who champion those causes, they spit on the constitution and care not for the right of self defense. To them the gun is a tool of evil and must be opposed in every way.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #24
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3042 Times on 1588 Posts
Likes Given: 294

I do not disagree with the need to protect ourselves FROM the government. All the 86 machinegun ban did was increase the prices. You must keep in mind all these laws are enacted by OUR elected officials. If they are not doing our bidding, they need to be voted out of office. Apparently, enough stupid sheep elect the likes of Ted Kennedy and Oblama. We are a Constitutional Republic. Majority rules, with in the confines of the Constitution. The problem is "they" (SCOTUS) interpret the Constitution in modern terms when that is not how it was intended. The whole "Living Document" arguement. I am more of a strict constructionist, but that does not deal with the problem of gun crime. If one is truly a strict constructionist there should not even be any enhancements to aggravated offenses involving firearms. Even multiple Felons and certified insane people have gun rights. Once again the law must be applied equally. If one group is denied their 2nd Amendment rights, it opens the door for others to be denied. We will likely disgree on the line but should be able to agree there is a line, somewhere. Hopefully you will not be of the opinion the 2nd Amendment applies to Thermonuclear explosives. Are they not "arms"?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball