Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > legal implications of owning multiple guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #21
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1315 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 605

dthomas had some good advice. I can add a little bit to it. I found an actual firearms attorney in my state that conducts a phone interview, takes my resume (to make sure he's not representing an idiot), and then, for $350 a year, I am a preferred client, I get his CELL phone number, I can call him with any question, and he will respond if I am arrested immediately. This is the best thing you can do for yourself legally is find a firearms attorney in your state - they are not as expensive as you think.

Secondly, A C&L FFL to be considered a professional "collector" would probably relieve some of your tension. They are very easy to get and relatively cheap. Your attorney could also form a firearms corporation that could "own" your guns and insure them, thereby making you NOT the owner of them. If you have a family member or friend you trust, you could place a safe in their basement or garage with a combination only you or your wife knows, then if you are in a shooting, your call to the wife can be for her to call the attorney and move all the guns to the "safe house" - if they're not in your house, they can't be confiscated. This is the ultra-paranoid route and would cost about $300 for the extra safe, but I thought I would mention it for the sake of completeness.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1236 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 1866

Default Thanks

Thank you all for your repies. I was worried about a prosecutor successfully painting a negative picture of a "defendant" (who shouldn't even be on trial) that a jury would go for, because of the "anybody who owns multiple guns must be a kill-crazed maniac" concept. But maybe somewhere out there are potential jurors who are not that easily manipulated (I would hope).

Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Thank you all for your repies. I was worried about a prosecutor successfully painting a negative picture of a "defendant" (who shouldn't even be on trial) that a jury would go for, because of the "anybody who owns multiple guns must be a kill-crazed maniac" concept. But maybe somewhere out there are potential jurors who are not that easily manipulated (I would hope).
I have read a lot of posts saying "what if I have too much ammo" or " too many guns" or "JHP high power" etc etc.

My bottom line is to be educated in my state laws to do as much as possible correctly in any event or action. After the event - to keep my mouth shut, hire a lawyer and go from there. Although it may have happened, I have yet to hear of anyone convicted for shooting a BG in the house at night.

And under any circumstances, I would rather be defending myself in court than attending my funeral as the guest of honor.

Last edited by JSDinTexas; 08-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #24

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
I have read a lot of posts saying "what if I have too much ammo" or " too many guns" or "JHP high power" etc etc.

My bottom line is to be educated in my state laws to do as much as possible correctly in any event or action. After the event - to keep my mouth shut, hire a lawyer and go from there. Although it may have happened, I have yet to hear of anyone convicted for shooting a BG in the house at night.

And under any circumstances, I would rather be defending myself in court than attending my funeral as the guest of honor.
Did you ever notice how the media calls our gun collections

"arsenals", but LE has "firearms storage" or "magazines"?

My point here is perception. As we increasingly become

more mainstream, as firearms enthusiasts, it is less of a threat,

but a large part of the problem is how we are regarded by LE and the

public at large.

Join the NRA! (Brought to you by Carl Junior's )

Old 08-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yes, it is an interesting situation. I seems that a large majority of the people who choose (and are chosen) to go into the news/reporting business are naive, altruistic do-gooders who have a belief that it should be possible to reason with every humanoid and convince all to 'be nice' to each other, then there would be no more crime nor violence. So, to them, anyone who chooses to be prepared to defend him(her)self is evil and should be disarmed at all costs. (Plus, when that doesn't work, and someone IS victimized, it gives these reporters something to report about). Somehow, it is more honorable to be a cringing, willing victim than to stand up to the bad guys.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #26

Quote:
Yes, it is an interesting situation. I seems that a large majority of the people who choose (and are chosen) to go into the news/reporting business are naive, altruistic do-gooders who have a belief that it should be possible to reason with every humanoid and convince all to 'be nice' to each other, then there would be no more crime nor violence. So, to them, anyone who chooses to be prepared to defend him(her)self is evil and should be disarmed at all costs. (Plus, when that doesn't work, and someone IS victimized, it gives these reporters something to report about). Somehow, it is more honorable to be a cringing, willing victim than to stand up to the bad guys.
They aren't "do-gooders" in the least, and naive has nothing to do with it.

They are warping our perceptions by distorting the story to make it

as sensational as possible, so that the altruistic and naive tune in,

and, in return, buy more soap, hard-on pills, and dog food.

The journalist's only interest here is to make the story as

unusual and interesting as possible to the masses, who are being

spoon fed their dog-$#!+ to increase ratings and market share.

DO they care if WE get mangled in the process?? HELL NO.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

thanks, therewolf. You are right. I guess that's also why the news is always full of negative s@#t and scandals. If they report about the gazillions of good things goin' on out there they are afraid no one would tune in.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #28

Quote:
thanks, therewolf. You are right. I guess that's also why the news is always full of negative s@#t and scandals. If they report about the gazillions of good things goin' on out there they are afraid no one would tune in.
The bottom line is people lead effed up lives. Seeing somebody

on the news who's worse than them makes them feel better

about themselves. Perspiring minds want to know...

Last edited by therewolf; 08-14-2011 at 09:55 PM.