legal implications of owning multiple guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > legal implications of owning multiple guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Default legal implications of owning multiple guns

I have accumulated a couple dozen guns over the years, have a concealed weapons permit, and carry regularly. I read the various gun magazines, and have become concerned about the legal implications of owning several guns in the event I ever have to use a gun to defend myself or some other innocent would-be victim. I have read of people in my shoes who have had all their guns confiscated and used to create a negative image of the poor guy who simply defended his life from an assailant. Gunwriter/police officer Mas Ayood has written several articles about the subject. Should I make an effort to trim my gun collection ("arsenal") down to a minimum? I have had seven instances over the years wher drawing a gun has saved my bacon, being fortunate enough to have the burglar or street assailant back down. Do people really go to prison when they legitimately defend their lives, simply because they own several guns?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I have accumulated a couple dozen guns over the years, have a concealed weapons permit, and carry regularly. I read the various gun magazines, and have become concerned about the legal implications of owning several guns in the event I ever have to use a gun to defend myself or some other innocent would-be victim. I have read of people in my shoes who have had all their guns confiscated and used to create a negative image of the poor guy who simply defended his life from an assailant. Gunwriter/police officer Mas Ayood has written several articles about the subject. Should I make an effort to trim my gun collection ("arsenal") down to a minimum? I have had seven instances over the years wher drawing a gun has saved my bacon, being fortunate enough to have the burglar or street assailant back down. Do people really go to prison when they legitimately defend their lives, simply because they own several guns?
No, if you can prove that your life was in danger or that you THOUGHT your life was in danger, the guns you have at home have no bearing, excuse me, SHOULDNT have any bearing on you at all. Not sure where you are getting the info you have, but it sounds like scare tactics to me.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Do people really go to prison when they legitimately defend their lives, simply because they own several guns?
Only if you use all of them at the same time while doing it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #4

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I don't think you got much to worry about as long as you are within the law. But regardless of how many guns you own the anti's are going to spin it as to make the gun owner look bad anyway.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Anything's possible, but the prosecutor is going to try and paint you as the bad guy no matter what if it has to go to trial.

Do everything you're supposed to and it won't.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3100 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Get your C&R FFL.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-11-2011, 03:37 PM   #7

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

I view the simple economics of the matter.

I don't want to waste bullets I could be shooting

at the range on some schmuck.

But I'd really hate it if they confiscated my

baseball bat collection, too...

Most criminals spend massive amounts to illegally procure

one gun, and one load of cartridges.

I don't worry so much about the guy with 20 guns and

15,000 rounds, he did the paperwork, took the training,

and has a clear record.

But it's easy for the LEOs and lawyers to misconstrue

and change all that.

JOIN THE NRA!

Last edited by therewolf; 08-11-2011 at 03:41 PM.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #8

Not sure where you're getting your stories from, but I've never in my life heard of it happening.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Massad ayoob makes his living by being a proffesional witness expert in court cases along with writing inflamatory articles for gun rags like guns and ammo.

A good sd shoot is a good sd shoot regardless of whether your using a 16inch naval cannon or a slingshot.

People like ayoob dont always tell the whole story as it serves their agenda better by being a bomb thrower than telling you the guy that had the guns was doing prolly doing something illegal with them that came up in the investigation.

Things you read written by experts in a gun rag is worth less than the advice you get on gun ownership from the huffington post....

Consult a real defense attourney for legal advise on self defense in your state.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Massad ayoob makes his living by being a proffesional witness expert in court cases along with writing inflamatory articles for gun rags like guns and ammo.

A good sd shoot is a good sd shoot regardless of whether your using a 16inch naval cannon or a slingshot.

People like ayoob dont always tell the whole story as it serves their agenda better by being a bomb thrower than telling you the guy that had the guns was doing prolly doing something illegal with them that came up in the investigation.

Things you read written by experts in a gun rag is worth less than the advice you get on gun ownership from the huffington post....

Consult a real defense attourney for legal advise on self defense in your state.
This. I have issues with Massad Ayoob.