Legal help in michigan
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Legal help in michigan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Legal help in michigan

I know someone who got into some trouble and had a bunch of legal firearms how would he go about giving them to a family member they're mostly handguns. I'm not sure if it's legal just trying to help someone out so the said family member doesn't get in trouble if he accepts the handguns.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #2

Liked 206 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Does MI still have gun registration? If so, start by registering the guns to the new owner. For best results, call your local bar association and ask to get a consultation with an attorney. I did this for some problems I had and it cost me $35 and got my problem solved.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamn View Post
I know someone who got into some trouble and had a bunch of legal firearms how would he go about giving them to a family member they're mostly handguns. I'm not sure if it's legal just trying to help someone out so the said family member doesn't get in trouble if he accepts the handguns.
You might also pose your question here: http://www.migunowners.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?180-Legal-Beagle-Corner

Old 07-20-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1039 Times on 626 Posts
Likes Given: 227

If family member has CPL, just fill out the paperwork

If they don't have a CPL, they will have to visit ANY police dept (although some are not following the law), and get a purchase permit for each firearm.

MGO link above is a great place for real legal advice.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:41 PM   #5

Thanks everyone I didn't even think of goin over to mgo for help.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #6

Liked 178 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

In Michigan there is a clause of "heir to an estate" that allows someone to keep in their possession at home(but not carry or use w/out a CPL) someone else's handguns due to the owner's death/or whatever he has going on until that person can sell/dispose of etc. the pistols, but i'm not fully sure how all of that works. Option 2 is to have someone with a valid CPL take possession of them in the time being until his legal troubles are over, or option 3 is for the new person wanting to take possession to go to the police department/get a background check and get as many pistol purchase permits as how many handguns there are, go and make a "private sale" from the person with legal trouble, fill out each pistol permit correctly and then it's legal for you to take them with you. Pistols in MI must be unloaded AND cased AND in the trunk to transport legally, if they are not cased they must be disassembled and still carried in the trunk, or if the vehicle has no trunk, cased and in an area inaccessible to the occupants or disassembled and inaccessible to the occupants(unless the owner or occupant of the vehicle has a valid CPL in which all these transporting rules do not apply), but then of course you guys would have to repeat that private sale again after his troubles are over and he goes and gets cleared for all the new pistol purchase permits to get them back.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

. ...

Last edited by partdeux; 07-25-2014 at 02:31 AM.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 AM   #8

Liked 409 Times on 266 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When my dad passed, I took his death certificate and the guns to the local police dept, transferred them to my name. No worries as long as everything's legal and the paperwork's in order.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:42 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
When my dad passed, I took his death certificate and the guns to the local police dept, transferred them to my name. No worries as long as everything's legal and the paperwork's in order.
The process has changed. You no longer have to take your firearms in to register (they actually don't want you to show up at the cop shop with a handgun). You pick up a permit to purchase from the PD for each handgun and put your name in the purhaser's spot and write "deceased" on the seller's line. You turn the PP's back in where you got them (you can even mail them). If you wanted, you can take or attach a copy of the death certificate.

Old 07-29-2014, 03:56 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I thought the executor or the person legally responsible for handling of the estate put their name on the sellers line