Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Legal definition of an Assault rifle? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/legal-definition-assault-rifle-78530/)

drboompa 12-15-2012 06:51 PM

Legal definition of an Assault rifle?

The media calls any firearm that has the physical apperance of a modern battle rifle with full auto capacity an "assault rifle." What does the BATF say? However, in the end, the media wins the day!

Axxe55 12-15-2012 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drboompa (Post 1052738)
The media calls any firearm that has the physical apperance of a modern battle rifle with full auto capacity an "assault rifle." What does the BATF say? However, in the end, the media wins the day!

i suppose the media is the one to ask about this as they are the one that came up with the term in the first place. it is used to ilicit a reaction, usually a negative one about any firearm that looks similar to those used by either the military, LE or terrorists.

most gun owners actually detest and hate the terms, "assault rifle" or "assault weapon". i know i do. my description of my Bushmaster M4A2 Carbine is best said as being a semi-auto rifle built on the AR platform. the only thing it has ever "assaulted" was paper and steel targets!

robocop10mm 12-15-2012 07:07 PM

ATF does not define "Assault Rifle". They are Machine guns to the Feds. Assault rifle is a term coined by the Germans (reportedly Hitler himself). In German it was SturmGewer. Storm rifle. I have heard several DB reporters use "high caliber" to describe the Bushmaster rifle the CT DB (I will NEVER use his name). High caliber? Compared to what, a .17 Rem? If anything the 5.56/.223 is a small caliber. When I hear these DB's use completely butcher the terms, I want to send a message to the advertisers boycotting their products.

Come to think of it, that may be a way to shift the media bias. Make a list of the companies that advertise on CNN, HLN, CNBC, etc and inundate them with e-mails til they stop pumping money into the pockets of these Libtard reporters and their employers.

partdeux 12-16-2012 01:39 AM

ugly gun definition.

WebleyFosbery38 12-17-2012 08:44 AM

Nothing new here, the re-defining posse is in heat! Dont like a definition, wait 10 minutes, someone will change it! Lets see, Marriage, Guns, Needs, Baby, Murder, and BOR's are all on the progressive "needs to be re-thunk platform". Assault Weapons have been understood for much longer than AR has been in existence!

Assault- a crime that involves causing a victim to apprehend violence

+

Weapon- a tool or instrument used in order to inflict damage or harm to enemies or other living beings, structures, or systems

=

Assault Weapon- is any of various automatic and semiautomatic firearms using an intermediate cartridge (Wiki)

WTF? Neither term said anything specifically about a type of device much less a Firearm and the final conglomeration of the two doesnt even mention an action just the existence of this unicorn like device!

So, if this new term is really factual, The Lockerbee Bomber, Tim McVeigh, and Mohammad Atta and friends are AOK with their tools of choice for terrorism and destruction, not "Assault Weapons", let them pass! Paintball guns and some Air Nailers will be banned FOOG!

So many semantics, so little brainpower used in the envisionment of a safer society FOOG!

sputnik1988 12-17-2012 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

mountainskytop 12-17-2012 11:33 PM

It's going to be whatever the government defines it to be if it comes down to that!!

cameronguyton 12-18-2012 02:53 AM

I find it funny that my AR is an "assault rifle" because it looks like a military rifle.

My Mosin M44 was apart of the Soviet Army and the media doesn't care about it.