Is it legal
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Is it legal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is it legal

Hello. Sorry to come in here first post and ask a stupid question however I am curious.
I was recently denied a Nebraska Purchase Permit due to some police reports from about 2 years ago that the sheriff said federal law prohibits me from obtaining a handgun.
This is the part of the law she was refering to.
Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.
However I was never committed, or adjudicated a mental defect. One I was taken to the hospital by the police and admitted over night for observation and the other was for mental Health triage from which I was released by an LEO as neither a danger to myself or another.

I cant afford to appeal it right now. So what would likely happen if I let the window expire and try again later?

Last edited by shagsmcgee; 04-02-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: removed a stupid question

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagsmcgee View Post
snip(
This is probably not the best place to ask legal advice; you get what you pay for.

snip

Third, don't wait to fix your legal issues; go on ahead with it if you feel you are in the right and being denied your RKBA.

Fourth, just borrow a firearm for target practice until you straighten things out with your record.

These rules suck, but they are intended to keep the crazies out of the gun shops, and lord knows the lines are long enough already.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 04-02-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2838 Times on 1409 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Sounds like they wish to jerk you around.
You were checked out and released. That should have been the end of it.

What is the appeal process? Almost everything in this world has some form of process for appeal, you need to find out what yours is. Also, don't sit around waiting on this, your window of opportunity may get shut through some rule change or time expiration.

NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #4

I have 10 days from the date of the letter to appeal. So I have about 7 days left to file the appeal with the county court. So I need to file it without a lawyer since I cannot afford the cost of an attorney at this time. As I read the law my interpretation of it is that I need to have been officially committed and adjudicated as mentally ill for the denial to have any weight. The last lawyer I spoke with today said I should file under the Administrative Procedures Act which was the most advice I was able to get out of the dozen or so lawyers I talked to. They all said they would need a retainer of ~$1500 to $2000 to file this appeal for me. So now I am trying to figure out the proper way to file the paperwork myself, however I am having a difficult time doing that as there is very little information I have found on how to properly submit an appeal and the county court is not allowed to assist me in any way in the proper way to draft the document.

Basically I file the appeal and they have 30 days to make a decision.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

As Gello stated the best legal advice may not be free...

BUT... Simply being admitted by LE for evaluation is a far cry from being held in a facility as ordered by a judge and found insane, incompetent or a danger to yourself or others, etc.

"Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution". That is key. Unless a Judge orders you to be committed (involuntary), and you're found to be something other than "normal", you shouldn't be disqualified.

You could check yourself in weekly and say you need mental health assistance because you're going through a "rough time", and it's not a disqualifying factor.

If that was the case, you would be disqualified from purchasing ANY firearm, not specifically handguns. Either your Sheriff is grossly mis-or-uninformed, or as stated above you're being jerked around.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Here we go again, Please find a lawyer.

The FTF flunked it’s Bar exam.

Only a fool would seek legal advice from a public forum and has a fool for his counselor.

The only thing more stupid than sourcing legal advice from a public forum is providing said advice!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-01-2011, 11:25 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Doesn't the NRA brag about flying in and giving legal counsel in these situations? Call the NRA, call GOA, call every gun rights lobbyist group you can find on the Internet until you find one willing to help.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
G.O.A. LIFETIME MEMBER!
Sole owner of Random Thought # 5,000

Old 04-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #8

well I dont exactly have $2k for a lawyer. I wasnt exactly coming here for legal advice. More opinions than anything. All I'm really wondering now is if I let the 10 day appeal window close is that going to screw me in say 6 months if I try again knowing full well that I will have to appeal and being prepared for it. I had a BG check for my job and nothing like this came up so I assumed I was OK to apply for my permit. Now I'm more or less concerned about what happens if I let the window close this time and try again in 6 months.

as far as the transfer question. Yeah it was a dumb one and I edited it out of the original post.

Old 04-02-2011, 12:13 AM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Is it possible to get record copies from the places you were taken, then make a written appeal and provide copies of the records to the County Board to show you were never committed?

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:55 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagsmcgee View Post
well I dont exactly have $2k for a lawyer. I wasnt exactly coming here for legal advice. More opinions than anything. All I'm really wondering now is if I let the 10 day appeal window close is that going to screw me in say 6 months if I try again knowing full well that I will have to appeal and being prepared for it. I had a BG check for my job and nothing like this came up so I assumed I was OK to apply for my permit. Now I'm more or less concerned about what happens if I let the window close this time and try again in 6 months.

as far as the transfer question. Yeah it was a dumb one and I edited it out of the original post.
consult your local district attourney's office

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...