Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Leaving handgun with friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2540 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

If you have a hard case for it, might not be a bad idea to lock the case.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

ratpacker Likes This 
Old 06-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #12

Liked 1129 Times on 728 Posts
Likes Given: 277

If a friend is capable of protecting himself or others with a hand-gun, he will probably own one. If he is not proficient with a hand-gun, I sure as hell would not want him using mine.

Let 'em get their own guns.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 06-15-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2837 Times on 1945 Posts
Likes Given: 582

If you have a Safe that can't be moved(mine is 650 Lbs and needed three offensive linemen & a Hoist to move it from the bonded courier to the inside of my house). No reason to use "the Pawn Shop" option if you have a good Safe....

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 06-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #14

Liked 561 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiep View Post
In SC where I live, if I own it I can sell it to whom ever I please as long as he is an instate resident. .

Not exactly.

11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), (n), or (x).

The person you sell to must not be a Prohibited Person.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #15

Liked 195 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Storage locker, storage rental, etc. No need for what ifs, judgement calls, hindsight. I would much rather have my firearms under lock and key than in the possession of someone I am supposed to trust.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:50 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20045 Times on 11398 Posts
Likes Given: 50571

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Not exactly.

11.a. However, you may not transfer a firearm to any person you know or have reasonable cause to believe is prohibited under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), (n), or (x).

The person you sell to must not be a Prohibited Person.
in states where you can do a FTF sale of a pistol without being required to go through an FFL dealer, knowingly prohibited person is the defining factor.

i live in Texas andwe can do private sales of any legal firearms without using an FFL dealer. if i sell a gun to a complete stranger, i have no way of determining what his criminal background is, nor anyway to do a check. so i can't be held responsible for what the person i sold it to, does with it.

now, on the flipside, if i sell my BIL a pistol and he's on felony probation or parole for drug poseession or armed robbery, they can assume that is something i should have known, since he's my BIL.

years ago, i did have one pistol i was questioned about that was used and recovered from an armed robbery that i had sold to an individual at a gun show. it had passed through several people since, but i was the last recorded owner on any FFL forms for that pistol.

on the rare occasion if i do a private sale, i get the person's name, address and DL number in case there ever happens to be any problems that might arise later on.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #17

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
in states where you can do a FTF sale of a pistol without being required to go through an FFL dealer, knowingly prohibited person is the defining factor.

i live in Texas andwe can do private sales of any legal firearms without using an FFL dealer. if i sell a gun to a complete stranger, i have no way of determining what his criminal background is, nor anyway to do a check. so i can't be held responsible for what the person i sold it to, does with it.

now, on the flipside, if i sell my BIL a pistol and he's on felony probation or parole for drug poseession or armed robbery, they can assume that is something i should have known, since he's my BIL.

years ago, i did have one pistol i was questioned about that was used and recovered from an armed robbery that i had sold to an individual at a gun show. it had passed through several people since, but i was the last recorded owner on any FFL forms for that pistol.

on the rare occasion if i do a private sale, i get the person's name, address and DL number in case there ever happens to be any problems that might arise later on.
Why not do a bill of sale? Seems like the best way of documenting that the gun is no longer in your possession while not giving the government any more details about it. You would only need to show it to someone if a issue ever came up.

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post

The pawn shop would normally be a good source of security. "But" there are a few things to consider. If I am not mistaken by Federal Law since a pawn shop/broker would have an FFL to do weapon transactions. If you pawn a firearm you have to fill out a Federal Form 4473 and have a record check run on you to get it back. Some of the pawn shops also charge a fee for this check. There also have been record of some pawn shops taking the weapon out and shooting it to be sure it is functional since they have an investment in it ?
Bottom line, if the person is a good friend and is legal to possess a weapon. And had a secure storage area for my weapon that would be my choice. Only you know the integrity of the friend. In fact in Indiana I know that their personal protection law states the CCW can carry any weapon that they are legally in possesion of. It could even be a friends pistol for example.

in Texas, if you pawn a gun, the person who pawned the gun is the only one who can get it out of pawn, and you have to fill out a 4473 Form, just like your were buying a gun.

and a pawn shop is not a storage facility for guns. the interests rates are massive as well for just a 90 day pawn! you can extend the loan period of the pawned item if you choose, but this just adds to more money they are making on the pawned item.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
Why not do a bill of sale? Seems like the best way of documenting that the gun is no longer in your possession while not giving the government any more details about it. You would only need to show it to someone if a issue ever came up.
that is pretty much what i was saying. the term was escaping me. brain fart!

the last private sale i did, it was a straight up trade with a co-worker that i have known for at least two years and also holds a CC permit. i didn't do a bill of sale with him. i knew him personally and know where he works and lives.
Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 06-19-2014, 01:13 AM   #20

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
that is pretty much what i was saying. the term was escaping me. brain fart!

the last private sale i did, it was a straight up trade with a co-worker that i have known for at least two years and also holds a CC permit. i didn't do a bill of sale with him. i knew him personally and know where he works and lives.
Someone is getting old!

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!