Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Leaving handgun with friend

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Leaving handgun with friend

Question

So if I leave my handguns with a grind while I am out of town can he use my weapons to defend himself if someone breaks in? Sate colorado

Last edited by bgg556; 06-14-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #2
Still learning
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 500 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 2481

Is your friend leagally able to own a gun? If not the answer would be NO!
But if they can leagally own a gun I do not see a problem.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgg556 View Post
Question

So if I leave my handguns with a grind while I am out of town can he use my weapons to defend himself if someone breaks in? Sate colorado
If you have to ask the answer is probably no.

The easiest way to secure your weapons while out of town is to pawn them for a small amount. Your guns will be waiting in a secure environment. Make sure to record the serial numbers and take pictures of your guns in case something goes awry.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
deg
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 310 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 453

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you have to ask the answer is probably no.

The easiest way to secure your weapons while out of town is to pawn them for a small amount. Your guns will be waiting in a secure environment. Make sure to record the serial numbers and take pictures of your guns in case something goes awry.
Hmmm that's an interesting idea, never thought of using a pawn shop as a storage facility. Good idea, the only problem I see with that is - if you have to be the one to get them out of pawn. If so and should something happen to you while gone, even a long stay in a hospital; you or you surviving family would be out. I understand that should something happen the guns will not be of "immediate" concern, but I think eventually they'd be missed. Good thought though....

"Don't believe all quotes you read on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

DrFootball Likes This 
Old 06-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #5
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

When I leave town, I lock my firearms in a safe and leave them at home.

People Like This 
Old 06-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1382 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by deg View Post
Hmmm that's an interesting idea, never thought of using a pawn shop as a storage facility. Good idea, the only problem I see with that is - if you have to be the one to get them out of pawn. If so and should something happen to you while gone, even a long stay in a hospital; you or you surviving family would be out. I understand that should something happen the guns will not be of "immediate" concern, but I think eventually they'd be missed. Good thought though....
You get a ticket when you pawn an item. Put your cell phone number on the ticket if you are concerned about a loved one needing to pick up your guns. I have purchased tickets for jewelry that was in pawn. I presented the ticket and picked up the jewelry, no questions asked.

A gun might be different due to BATF regulations. An FFL transfer would be required for loved ones to take possession of your guns.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-14-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1431 Times on 996 Posts
Likes Given: 716

The federal law (as I am guessing are most state laws) is largely silent on this one. If a crime is committed, the case will be wide open to the lawyers and the jury. This is where your judgement and common sense take a lead.

Old 06-14-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2196 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

The pawn shop would normally be a good source of security. "But" there are a few things to consider. If I am not mistaken by Federal Law since a pawn shop/broker would have an FFL to do weapon transactions. If you pawn a firearm you have to fill out a Federal Form 4473 and have a record check run on you to get it back. Some of the pawn shops also charge a fee for this check. There also have been record of some pawn shops taking the weapon out and shooting it to be sure it is functional since they have an investment in it ?
Bottom line, if the person is a good friend and is legal to possess a weapon. And had a secure storage area for my weapon that would be my choice. Only you know the integrity of the friend. In fact in Indiana I know that their personal protection law states the CCW can carry any weapon that they are legally in possesion of. It could even be a friends pistol for example.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 06-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #9

Liked 356 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I would leave them at a local firearms dealers for a small fee. It would be illegal here to leave them with a friend.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #10

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts

In SC where I live, if I own it I can sell it to whom ever I please as long as he is an instate resident. So I guess I can leave it with whom I please. It's my gun. Why would he need to use it unless he is in a really crummy area and I wouldn't leave it there anyway. If he has his own weapons he won't need yours, but if he uses it to protect home and property the police are going to take it as evidence and you may never see it again. Think of your friend this way. Will you let him use your car while your away. Might not be your friend when all is said and done.