KC's finest...a little jumpy?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > KC's finest...a little jumpy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default KC's finest...a little jumpy?

KC police fire at backfiring van - KansasCity.com

Two Kansas City police officers who thought they were being shot at from inside a van returned fire Thursday night.

Only later did police realize that the van was actually backfiring and the man inside was not armed. He was not injured by the shots fired by police.

Windows of the police car were apparently shot out by the officers as they exited the patrol car. [say what?]

The officers were dispatched on a report of shots being fired from a white van just before 6 p.m. Thursday on Gregory Boulevard near Interstate 435.

When the officers got to the area they saw a white van parked on Gregory and pulled up near it. As they were getting out of the patrol car they heard the backfiring and fired their weapons. Police are continuing to investigate the incident.

----------

One hopes LEOs are a little less prone to use lethal force in a situation like this. What would probably have happened to the cops if the innocent driver or a bystander had been killed by the cops? Put another way, what would happen to Joe Sixpack who started firing his legally-concealed handgun at a van that backfired because he thought he was being shot at?

Last edited by bkt; 11-14-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-14-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2240 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

That is a pretty good example of police over-reaction. If you or i did that we would be off to jail for awhile. The cops will get a pass.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Oh, that's good. A backfiring van? Classic.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 11-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can't discern between a vehicle backfire and a gun shot?? WTF

They were probably pumping themselves up for a potential shoot out all the way to the scene!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

thats why the army has a day in basic training when live ammo is fired over your head.

unfortunately the officers will not be held to the same standard as civilians. if that was a regular joe those same cops would be cooking up a story about attempted murder by gun crazed civilian...

Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2952 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Lets see, Citizen reports of shots fired from the van. They approach the van and it backfires. They open fire. A little jumpy? Sure. When people shoot at you, you get a little jumpy. All who want to Monday morning quarterback the officers need to take a step back. In my experience a backfire can sound more like a gun shot than an actual gunshot. Think about the physics involved in a backfire. It is cause by a propellant being ignited in a tube. It is pretty much the same thing as a gun shot.

Officers that wait to see what is really going on are listed on the LE Memorial Wall in DC.

In all fairness, shooting out your own car windows in the "gun fight"? That is a little had to explain.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #7

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

i bet the guy in the van will get a tuneup now

this azzhole was prob driving around making the van backfire...we have all done it...find a victum,while driving,get your RPM's up,turn key to off position,pump gas pedal a few times,turn key to on position then ''BOOM!''

after reading this i dont think i would call backfireing @ people funny anymore..i have had it done to me,while going to the mail box...it sucks!

the police have a hard enough job,i hope this guy goes and buys a lottery ticket...

Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 AM   #8

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

check this out...

Being from the KC metro myself, I posted this on our local forum.

might as well have pissed into a hornets nest.......

Epic F-up by KCMO PD. - KSCCW.com Forum

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?