Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Kansas Private Sale Law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Kansas Private Sale Law

I turned 18 a while back and I am looking to purchase a handgun. I know that I can't buy one from a dealer or conceal and carry it. I am really just looking for something to keep in my home for defense and to take to the range. I know federal law states I can privately buy a handgun at 18, but I haven't been able to find out if you have to be 18 or 21 to do so in KS. Also if it is possible what kind of paper work is involved?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2010, 03:03 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Don't know if it will be covered but look here gunlaws.com - Kansas Gun Law Links

you can always call the attorney generals office and ask?

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:09 AM   #3

I though about calling, but I have heard sometimes they themselves are not completly educated on the issue or may not completly agree with an 18 year old owning a handgun and just tell you no. I will check out the site you provided. Everything I have found seems to apply to buying one from a dealer.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can always go to a licensed dealer and I assure you they know the law.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:17 AM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Another link for you.

Kansas Gun Laws - What Are the Gun Laws in Kansas?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-31-2010, 03:24 AM   #6

Quote:
You can always go to a licensed dealer and I assure you they know the law.
Very true I didn't even think of that. I'll have to stop by my local dealer tommorow after work and just ask.

Quote:
Another link for you.

Kansas Gun Laws - What Are the Gun Laws in Kansas?
I have actually read over this a few times and find it a little unclear. I believe this addresses purchasing from a dealer. Not actually owning a handgun.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Then I suppose the possession or sale of any firearm under 12" barrel length to anyone under 18 was not clear enough? Oh well, that is what you get when asking for legal information on the interwebz. Why not access the Kansas equivalent of the constitution at your local library and look it up? Call the Sheriff and ask what would happen if you buy a handgun face to face privately and you are later caught in possession of the handgun by one of his Deputies.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Then I suppose the possession or sale of any firearm under 12" barrel length to anyone under 18 was not clear enough? Oh well, that is what you get when asking for legal information on the interwebz. Why not access the Kansas equivalent of the constitution at your local library and look it up? Call the Sheriff and ask what would happen if you buy a handgun face to face privately and you are later caught in possession of the handgun by one of his Deputies.
I was not sure if that applies to dealers or private sellers or both. That was the unclear part... I am going to school to become a police officer so I do not plan on buying one if it would jeopardize that. I was just hoping that there was a way I could purchase one before I turn 21. If not I will probably just buy another rifle as I am looking to expand my collection.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:11 AM   #9

I guess it does state it us unlawful to "give" a handgun. I mussed that the first time. Damn.. Oh well I suppose I'll just have to wait.