Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Kansas Private Sale Law (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/kansas-private-sale-law-31145/)

RedLine 08-31-2010 02:57 AM

Kansas Private Sale Law

I turned 18 a while back and I am looking to purchase a handgun. I know that I can't buy one from a dealer or conceal and carry it. I am really just looking for something to keep in my home for defense and to take to the range. I know federal law states I can privately buy a handgun at 18, but I haven't been able to find out if you have to be 18 or 21 to do so in KS. Also if it is possible what kind of paper work is involved?

dunerunner 08-31-2010 03:03 AM

Don't know if it will be covered but look here gunlaws.com - Kansas Gun Law Links

you can always call the attorney generals office and ask?

RedLine 08-31-2010 03:09 AM

I though about calling, but I have heard sometimes they themselves are not completly educated on the issue or may not completly agree with an 18 year old owning a handgun and just tell you no. I will check out the site you provided. Everything I have found seems to apply to buying one from a dealer.

dunerunner 08-31-2010 03:11 AM

You can always go to a licensed dealer and I assure you they know the law.

skullcrusher 08-31-2010 03:17 AM

Another link for you.

Kansas Gun Laws - What Are the Gun Laws in Kansas?

RedLine 08-31-2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

You can always go to a licensed dealer and I assure you they know the law.
Very true I didn't even think of that. I'll have to stop by my local dealer tommorow after work and just ask.

Quote:

Another link for you.

Kansas Gun Laws - What Are the Gun Laws in Kansas?
I have actually read over this a few times and find it a little unclear. I believe this addresses purchasing from a dealer. Not actually owning a handgun.

skullcrusher 08-31-2010 03:55 AM

Then I suppose the possession or sale of any firearm under 12" barrel length to anyone under 18 was not clear enough? Oh well, that is what you get when asking for legal information on the interwebz. Why not access the Kansas equivalent of the constitution at your local library and look it up? Call the Sheriff and ask what would happen if you buy a handgun face to face privately and you are later caught in possession of the handgun by one of his Deputies.

RedLine 08-31-2010 04:08 AM

Quote:

Then I suppose the possession or sale of any firearm under 12" barrel length to anyone under 18 was not clear enough? Oh well, that is what you get when asking for legal information on the interwebz. Why not access the Kansas equivalent of the constitution at your local library and look it up? Call the Sheriff and ask what would happen if you buy a handgun face to face privately and you are later caught in possession of the handgun by one of his Deputies.
I was not sure if that applies to dealers or private sellers or both. That was the unclear part... I am going to school to become a police officer so I do not plan on buying one if it would jeopardize that. I was just hoping that there was a way I could purchase one before I turn 21. If not I will probably just buy another rifle as I am looking to expand my collection.

RedLine 08-31-2010 04:11 AM

I guess it does state it us unlawful to "give" a handgun. I mussed that the first time. Damn.. Oh well I suppose I'll just have to wait.