Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Just When I Thought I'd Seen It All...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Thumbs down Just When I Thought I'd Seen It All...

Obama to propose $100M brain mapping projectBy NEDRA PICKLER
From Associated Press
April 02, 2013 8:25 AM EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is proposing a new investment into research to map the human brain in hopes of unlocking some of its mysteries.

The president planned to propose a $100 million investment for next year during remarks Tuesday morning, the White House said.

Obama mentioned the idea in his State of the Union address, comparing the potential to the Human Genome Project that mapped DNA.

"Every dollar we invested to map the human genome returned $140 to our economy. Every dollar," Obama said in the address to Congress in February. "Today, our scientists are mapping the human brain to unlock the answers to Alzheimer's."

Obama wants the research to involve private institutions as well as government agencies, including the National Institutes of Health, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and the National Science Foundation. It will require the development of new technology that can record the electrical activity of more neurons in the brain and a study of the ethical implications of the advancements.

A White House statement said Obama would announce the brain research project, known as BRAIN, intended to "revolutionize our understanding of the human mind," as well as create jobs.

Obama's top science advisers would elaborate on the project's details later Tuesday, the White House statement said.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #2

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Whoa there, wait a minute. Leeeeet's not rush judgement on this one just yet.

Alzheimer's alone costs Americans hundreds of millions in healthcare costs, not even mentioning nursing homes that allow a free stay on taxpayers dollars once they hit their quota of years. My grandmother for instance, battled Alzheimer's now for about 9 years and its incredibly sad and upsetting. Her body has outlived her brain. We cannot care for her, she is basically a shell of her former self. You have NO IDEA how taxing this is financially and emotionally.

This could be a great return in investment and this could lead to breakthroughs in brain science. I see this as a potential victory. $100m invested could return many hundreds of millions over time & research.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1646 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 527

I have seen too many government projects ostensibly for a good cause turn against the people. I would applaud Alzheimer's research as it is a devastating disability but I cast a wary eye on any government projects. There are too many Mengele's out there.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Unhappy I Know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post

Alzheimer's alone costs Americans hundreds of millions in healthcare costs, not even mentioning nursing homes that allow a free stay on taxpayers dollars once they hit their quota of years. My grandmother for instance, battled Alzheimer's now for about 9 years and its incredibly sad and upsetting. Her body has outlived her brain. We cannot care for her, she is basically a shell of her former self. You have NO IDEA how taxing this is financially and emotionally.

This could be a great return in investment and this could lead to breakthroughs in brain science. I see this as a potential victory. $100m invested could return many hundreds of millions over time & research.
I would agree IF I had ANY faith in the source - I don't. I've had Alzheimer's in my family - and currently do, so I DO HAVE AN IDEA how taxing it is not to mention how heart breaking it is.

This president has proved himself to be untrustworthy in far, far too many areas. I think, like most of "his" ideas, there are ulterior motives. I feel he is a narcissistic, Marxist - and them's his good points!

Last edited by johnr43; 04-02-2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: spelling
Warrior1256 Likes This 
Old 04-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1781 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

I think Obama should be the first to volunteer for this brain study, only one problem he'd need a brain first...

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

People Like This 
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #6

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

This is a Leftwing spending frenzy. Who will he cry for on this one? The elderly. The retarded. The very ill. Everyone his nationalized healthcare plan's "death panel" will sweep aside. That's where the savings is to come from, not better mediacl treatment. Worse treatment for all but "free" to 51%.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2423 Times on 1424 Posts
Likes Given: 1349

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post

Hopefully, including the thousands of military veterans who suffer from brain trauma and PTSD!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

People Like This 
Old 04-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1119 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

There have already been articles and flicks in the scientific journals about experimenting with mind control. Just in the last week there was a story about some "scientists" implanting chips in the heads of 2 mice at Duke University, I think, then shipping one of the mice to Bolivia. They then used electronic signals to cause the mouse at Duke to do specific movements. The mouse in Bolivia simultaneously made exactly the same movements as the one at Duke. So much for our government's "innocent" motives.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #9

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
There have already been articles and flicks in the scientific journals about experimenting with mind control. Just in the last week there was a story about some "scientists" implanting chips in the heads of 2 mice at Duke University, I think, then shipping one of the mice to Bolivia. They then used electronic signals to cause the mouse at Duke to do specific movements. The mouse in Bolivia simultaneously made exactly the same movements as the one at Duke. So much for our government's "innocent" motives.
You may wanna put your tin foil hat back on....

Lets reel it back now. This focus on REAL disorders such as PTSD, dementia, and Alzheimer's, and whatever other brain diseases are out there

Old 04-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #10

Liked 305 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr43 View Post
I would agree IF I had ANY faith in the source - I don't. I've had Alzheimer's in my family - and currently do, so I DO HAVE AN IDEA how taxing it is not to mention how heart breaking it is.

This president has proved himself to be untrustworthy in far, far too many areas. I think, like most of "his" ideas, there are ulterior motives. I feel he is a narcissistic, Marxist - and them's his good points!
Yeah, unfortunately we have learned from painful experiance that you have to be suspicious of anything Obama proposes. It usually only benefits his political agenda.