Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Just When I Thought I'd Seen It All... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/just-when-i-thought-id-seen-all-88011/)

johnr43 04-02-2013 02:06 PM

Just When I Thought I'd Seen It All...

Obama to propose $100M brain mapping projectBy NEDRA PICKLER
From Associated Press
April 02, 2013 8:25 AM EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) President Barack Obama is proposing a new investment into research to map the human brain in hopes of unlocking some of its mysteries.

The president planned to propose a $100 million investment for next year during remarks Tuesday morning, the White House said.

Obama mentioned the idea in his State of the Union address, comparing the potential to the Human Genome Project that mapped DNA.

"Every dollar we invested to map the human genome returned $140 to our economy. Every dollar," Obama said in the address to Congress in February. "Today, our scientists are mapping the human brain to unlock the answers to Alzheimer's."

Obama wants the research to involve private institutions as well as government agencies, including the National Institutes of Health, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and the National Science Foundation. It will require the development of new technology that can record the electrical activity of more neurons in the brain and a study of the ethical implications of the advancements.

A White House statement said Obama would announce the brain research project, known as BRAIN, intended to "revolutionize our understanding of the human mind," as well as create jobs.

Obama's top science advisers would elaborate on the project's details later Tuesday, the White House statement said.
:eek::mad:

StainlessSteel215 04-02-2013 02:28 PM

Whoa there, wait a minute. Leeeeet's not rush judgement on this one just yet.

Alzheimer's alone costs Americans hundreds of millions in healthcare costs, not even mentioning nursing homes that allow a free stay on taxpayers dollars once they hit their quota of years. My grandmother for instance, battled Alzheimer's now for about 9 years and its incredibly sad and upsetting. Her body has outlived her brain. We cannot care for her, she is basically a shell of her former self. You have NO IDEA how taxing this is financially and emotionally.

This could be a great return in investment and this could lead to breakthroughs in brain science. I see this as a potential victory. $100m invested could return many hundreds of millions over time & research.

JTJ 04-02-2013 02:49 PM

I have seen too many government projects ostensibly for a good cause turn against the people. I would applaud Alzheimer's research as it is a devastating disability but I cast a wary eye on any government projects. There are too many Mengele's out there.

johnr43 04-02-2013 04:32 PM

I Know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1200430)

Alzheimer's alone costs Americans hundreds of millions in healthcare costs, not even mentioning nursing homes that allow a free stay on taxpayers dollars once they hit their quota of years. My grandmother for instance, battled Alzheimer's now for about 9 years and its incredibly sad and upsetting. Her body has outlived her brain. We cannot care for her, she is basically a shell of her former self. You have NO IDEA how taxing this is financially and emotionally.

This could be a great return in investment and this could lead to breakthroughs in brain science. I see this as a potential victory. $100m invested could return many hundreds of millions over time & research.

I would agree IF I had ANY faith in the source - I don't. I've had Alzheimer's in my family - and currently do, so I DO HAVE AN IDEA how taxing it is not to mention how heart breaking it is.

This president has proved himself to be untrustworthy in far, far too many areas. I think, like most of "his" ideas, there are ulterior motives. I feel he is a narcissistic, Marxist - and them's his good points! :(

DFlynt 04-02-2013 05:25 PM

I think Obama should be the first to volunteer for this brain study, only one problem he'd need a brain first...:D

MattShlock 04-02-2013 05:48 PM

This is a Leftwing spending frenzy. Who will he cry for on this one? The elderly. The retarded. The very ill. Everyone his nationalized healthcare plan's "death panel" will sweep aside. That's where the savings is to come from, not better mediacl treatment. Worse treatment for all but "free" to 51%.

eatmydust 04-02-2013 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 (Post 1200430)

Hopefully, including the thousands of military veterans who suffer from brain trauma and PTSD!

AIKIJUTSU 04-02-2013 07:09 PM

There have already been articles and flicks in the scientific journals about experimenting with mind control. Just in the last week there was a story about some "scientists" implanting chips in the heads of 2 mice at Duke University, I think, then shipping one of the mice to Bolivia. They then used electronic signals to cause the mouse at Duke to do specific movements. The mouse in Bolivia simultaneously made exactly the same movements as the one at Duke. So much for our government's "innocent" motives.

StainlessSteel215 04-02-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU (Post 1200683)
There have already been articles and flicks in the scientific journals about experimenting with mind control. Just in the last week there was a story about some "scientists" implanting chips in the heads of 2 mice at Duke University, I think, then shipping one of the mice to Bolivia. They then used electronic signals to cause the mouse at Duke to do specific movements. The mouse in Bolivia simultaneously made exactly the same movements as the one at Duke. So much for our government's "innocent" motives.

You may wanna put your tin foil hat back on....

Lets reel it back now. This focus on REAL disorders such as PTSD, dementia, and Alzheimer's, and whatever other brain diseases are out there

Warrior1256 04-02-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnr43 (Post 1200546)
I would agree IF I had ANY faith in the source - I don't. I've had Alzheimer's in my family - and currently do, so I DO HAVE AN IDEA how taxing it is not to mention how heart breaking it is.

This president has proved himself to be untrustworthy in far, far too many areas. I think, like most of "his" ideas, there are ulterior motives. I feel he is a narcissistic, Marxist - and them's his good points! :(

Yeah, unfortunately we have learned from painful experiance that you have to be suspicious of anything Obama proposes. It usually only benefits his political agenda.