Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Just watching the news... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/just-watching-news-81303/)

Xave 01-14-2013 04:24 PM

Fears confirmed

Well...it appears that most of our fears were confirmed. Obama just mentioned he will press for limiting mags to 10rds, an AWB, and background checks reform...which he stated he would give more insight into later in the week.
What scares me most though is his acknowledgement that he is willing to use executive power to get some of these laws passed. We have a hard time ahead of us. I hope it turns out better then I fear.

Warrior1256 01-14-2013 11:24 PM

What he is wanting and what he gets will be two different things if all of us keep the pressure on our elected officials.

PanBaccha 01-14-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warrior1256 (Post 1093789)
What he is wanting and what he gets will be two different things if all of us keep the pressure on our elected officials.

If he uses 'executive power' will that not circumvent congress?

drvsafe 01-14-2013 11:30 PM

There's only certain things he can accomplish by executive powers. And of those things rewriting the constitution is NOT one of them.

RJMercer 01-15-2013 03:44 AM

The EO is meant to clarify a law that was passed or how it should be enforced, not create law or to modify existing law or the constitution. Rep. Stockman of TX already spoke of congress handling executive over reach if he pushes it.

Bigcountry02 01-15-2013 03:50 AM

Freshman lawmaker threatens impeachment over gun rights

Then you have Freshman Republican Rep. Steve Stockman (Texas) on Monday said he would "seek to thwart" executive action by President Obama in regard to gun laws by any means necessary, even if it means "filing articles of impeachment."

"The White House’s recent announcement they will use executive orders and executive actions to infringe on our constitutionally-protected right to keep and bear arms is an unconstitutional and unconscionable attack on the very founding principles of this republic," Stockman said in a statement. "I will seek to thwart this action by any means necessary, including but not limited to eliminating funding for implementation, defunding the White House, and even filing articles of impeachment."

At a press conference in the East Room on Monday, Obama said he would consider executive actions on gun control, but said such actions would be limited in scope.

"Responsible gun owners ... they don't have anything to worry about," Obama said.

The president also ripped opponents for what he said were efforts of "ginning up fear" among gun owners.

But Stockman on Monday called potential executive action by the president "an existential threat to this nation."

"The right of the people to keep and bear arms is what has kept this nation free and secure for over 200 years," he continued. "The very purpose of the Second Amendment is to stop the government from disallowing people the means to defend themselves against tyranny. Any proposal to abuse executive power and infringe upon gun rights must be repelled with the stiffest legislative force possible.

"Under no circumstances whatsoever may the government take any action that disarms any peaceable person — much less without due process through an executive declaration without a vote of Congress or a ruling of a court. The President’s actions are not just an attack on the Constitution and a violation of his sworn oath of office," he continued, "they are a direct attack on Americans that place all of us in danger. If the President is allowed to suspend constitutional rights on his own personal whims, our free republic has effectively ceased to exist."

Obama said Monday he planned to review recommendations from Vice President Biden's working group, and would outline his plan to reduce gun violence by the end of the week. Obama did not say say whether an assault weapons ban would be central to that effort.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/277021-gop-rep-threatens-obama-with-impeachment-over-gun-action#ixzz2HzNXiSvx

ScottA 01-15-2013 03:50 AM

I'm expecting a new world record on a judicial injunction. The NRA probably already has attorneys lined up in every circuit outside the 9th.

CrazedJava 01-15-2013 02:35 PM

As near as I can tell, he can't pull off the 10 round limit without legislation. Most of what he can do through EO or Executive Actions sound reasonable but without funding the States he can't really implement a better background process or mental health checks.

In short, there really isn't much Obama can do but I sense he is trying hard to save face.

What kind of pisses me off is that I wish people had fought against Obamacare or many other deals as hard as they have pushed for their guns. We might not be in this mess if we had.

locutus 01-15-2013 03:09 PM

Even the "Caliph of Washington" (May Allah bless his name) cannot rule by decree.

Mosin 01-15-2013 03:12 PM

Just imagine an executive order limiting free speech, the womans vote. The nullification of slavery. The...heck ANY of our constitution...
Sickening.