Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Just a thought about guns being mis-used

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4570 Times on 2210 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I'll bet if we started requiring people to have a substantial garage built, with a heavy duty door, good locks, no windows, concrete walls- we could really reduce the number of cars that are stolen and used in crimes. It is really irresponsible to leave a car just SITTING in your driveway where anyone could take it.

As far as not being able to open your safe- in 5 minutes, know some folks that could make any of us beg for the opportunity to unlock the safe and GIVE them whatever is in it. Requires a bobby pin, a lighter, and your fingernails.

Not a big fan of laws telling me what I MUST do because you have other people that WON'T do what they should.
Bingo...

OP...while I too exercise 100% POSSITIVE control "either on my hip or in one of several safes"...I recognize that my situation is unique to me.

A single female living alone in a bad neighborhood may well need to access here fire arm much faster than a trained Veteran living is a safe suburb...and she may not be able to afford all of our "fancy safes".

So while advocating some type of POSSITIVE control, the actual mechanism for that control need to be left up to the individual and the combination of their needs and their means...otherwise your just creating a tax that will either prevent those who need a gun the most from having them OR your setting up a system that will punish crime victims for the later criminal missuse of their stolen property.

I have 4 kids and an expensive collection so investing in the safes to protect my kids and my investment is prudent but inalienable rights are not cut short by a persons economic status and we should not encourage them to be.

Tack
Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5199 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 4421

I'm sure the intent was good.

But it's another attempt to regulate human behavior by regulating "THINGS" instead of holding humans responsible.

Golda Meier.
People Like This 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #13

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I'm sure the intent was good.

But it's another attempt to regulate human behavior by regulating "THINGS" instead of holding humans responsible.
Good intentions =/= positive results.

Intent is always subject to perspective.

I don't want a liberals intentions anywhere near my freedoms.
People Like This 
Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5666 Times on 2805 Posts
Likes Given: 6027

Where do I put the safe if I live in a tent or cant tent people own guns? The onus is on the offense not the tool, cant restrict rights because someone may not live the usual lifestyle for john and jane Q.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks for the responses.

I don't disagree with the philosophy you all share about our freedom under the 2nd ammendment and I don't know if there would be follow-up requirements having to do with safes in the future (it hasn't happened in Kali), but in Washington's desire to do "something", I would rather see them require safe firearm storage options rather than something more draconian like firearm registration, mag limits, or outright bans on gun types. Maybe they could just give the american taxpayer a tax credit for buying upgraded firearm safes. They seem to need the ability to say they have done "something" before they will be willing to let this topic go away.

Again, I'm on your side on this and just wanted to get some feed-back on an idea.

Thanks

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:18

Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I wouldn't mind the tax credit, but i don't think offering a concession on storage would put this issue to bed. I think it would take more than most of us would be willing to tolerate.

I do have a safe and like it, but not all of my firearms stay in it (no kids or mentally-ill in household).

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #17

Liked 373 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popgun View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest something that I'm pretty sure is going to spark some pointed contrary opinions, but here goes.

Out here in Kalifornia (the land of idiot lawmakers) they passed one law, I think, that makes some sense. In order to purchase a firearm here, you must first purchase and own a "California Certified" gun safe (which I did a few years ago). Most of the "heavy" gun safe manufacturers safes will qualify. They need to have combination or keypad locks (no pad locks), no exposed hinges, and basically, can't be pried open with crow-bars. The law doesn't say you need to have all your guns locked-up in this safe; only that you own one. Naturally, most of my firearms are kept locked-up in this kind of safe as are many of your's, but I AM allowed to have other, less secure "quick use" safes or not use the safe at all (as with a gun under your pillow). The point is that if more people used this system, fewer firearms would be stolen or mis-used by un-stable family members such as we have seen in Conn and New Mex. In most homes, they might get to one gun, but they wouldn't be able to access the rest of the armory for additional weapon selections or additional ammo.

I'm open to critique on this subject as I'm supprised this hasn't been discussed much in the news media or here.

Thanks for your feed-back
is this a new law i know in order to purchsae a handgun you have to show proof of owning a safe or buy a gun lock,but if the handgun comes with a locking device then that does not apply.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman1 View Post
is this a new law i know in order to purchsae a handgun you have to show proof of owning a safe or buy a gun lock,but if the handgun comes with a locking device then that does not apply.
I don't know when the law was passed but I bought my upgraded safe about 2 1/2 years ago when I purchased a new handgun. They wouldn't turn it over to me until I could prove the purchase. Since then they have passed a lot of crazy gun laws, but nothing related to gun safe requirements.

"The basis of our political systems is the right of the people to make and to alter their Constitutions of Government. But the Constitution which at any time exists, till changed by an explicit and authentic act of the whole people, is sacredly obligatory upon all."

George Washington

If possible, so far as it depends on you, be at peace with all men.
Romans 12:18

Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #19

Liked 373 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

Quote:
I don't know when the law was passed but I bought my upgraded safe about 2 1/2 years ago when I purchased a new handgun. They wouldn't turn it over to me until I could prove the purchase. Since then they have passed a lot of crazy gun laws, but nothing related to gun safe requirements.
ive purchased several pistols in the last couple years and unless i say i have a safe i have to purchase a gun lock unless the gun comes with one. i have a safe and i have to tell them the make and model and sign an affidavite saying i own one but never been refused a pick up. if you do not have a safe you simlpy buy a cable lock or other state approved lock.

No Bells.No Whistles.Just perfection.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #20

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

I don't disagree with the philosophy you all share about our freedom under the 2nd ammendment and I don't know if there would be follow-up requirements having to do with safes in the future (it hasn't happened in Kali), but in Washington's desire to do "something", I would rather see them require safe firearm storage options rather than something more draconian like firearm registration, mag limits, or outright bans on gun types. Maybe they could just give the american taxpayer a tax credit for buying upgraded firearm safes. They seem to need the ability to say they have done "something" before they will be willing to let this topic go away.

Again, I'm on your side on this and just wanted to get some feed-back on an idea.

Thanks
I know where you're coming from - but we have to look at it from a "this **** stops here" standpoint.

They want you to be okay with a little erosion at a time.

Is it a nuisance to buy a gun safe? Nope. Not at all...unless the price its self is too steep...Government has no Constitutional authority to require you to purchase something that you have a right to own.

(And before anyone responds with the knee jerk car insurance response, i'll rebut: You don't have a Constitutional Right to an automobile. You do to a firearm. Nobody is forcing you to buy a Dictionary so you don't sound like a total dip **** when speaking w/ your 1st Amendment)

But this is always where people dumb the argument down and say "But you don't kill people with your words"

Yes. You do. In fact, more people have died from words than any other single thing in the history of man kind. Religion. Cults. "Orders". All are responsible for killing - the instruments used in the killings are many and vary far and wide, but the words themselves have not changed over the centuries, just the dialects with which they are spoken.

Some people attribute this "need for a right" to the gun its self, but they're not thinking deeply enough. It's not about the gun, it's about the freedom to own the gun. Private possession of firearms is the ultimate form of expression a nation can boast to show freedom.

Anyone who feels unsafe because someone like me has a gun is an idiot. They're cowards and until they grow up and face the real world, they get no respect from me. No willingness to compromise. I've done NOTHING to these people, yet I'm being labeled a criminal.

Requiring people to own a gun safe but not requiring them to use it is not doing ANYTHING. It's a typical LIBERAL MINDED feel good law that could better be thought through by a 15 year old Special Needs kid in High School.

I'm all for responsible gun ownership, but I don't need Government to require me to buy something. There are better ways of doing this that do not infringe on LAW ABIDING CITIZENS rights. They DO infringe on CRIMINALS RIGHTS

And when you mention this to a gun grabber, they always side w/ the criminal, that's why I will not "compromise" because to them this isn't about making the world safer, it's about getting rid of guns.

Getting rid of guns doesn't make the world safer. It makes it more dangerous. Because the only guys you can get rid of are the ones willingly handed over. And criminals aren't going to do that.

To prove my point - next time you're speaking with a gun grabber, pitch them this idea:

So - you're for keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, but not taking mine, right?

Yes, that's correct

So then how about we give police the authority to randomly search the persons and homes of known offenders at any time to make sure they are not in possession of any firearms (since criminals cannot own firearms)

Well, that would be an invasion of that persons privacy. They paid their dues, they should not be singled out because of something from their past

-Fin.

They care more about the rights of Sexual Predators and Child Rapists than they do about the rights of a law abiding citizen.

It's pathetic.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 01-23-2013 at 11:23 PM.
People Like This