Judge says felons can possess guns - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Judge says felons can possess guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I would counter that point with history. Yes... more felons "re offend" than don't... but what options do they have?

1. Felon... no one is hiring you.
2. Felon... no right to vote.
3. Felon... prison only taught you 1 thing, to be MORE violent.

If there safe enough to be on the street, barring them from gun ownership makes no more sense than gun free zones. Those felons who would use a gun in crime will do it regardless of the prohibition... and those who would not are just as defenseless as the lemmings sipping latte's behind the gun buster signs at the local mall.

If you've served your deb't to society and our elected officials deem you safe enough to be on the steets then all rights should be returned.

Perhaps X Cons would be less violent if they were not relegated to the life of a slave?

And if not... hopefully they select me as there next victim. Guarantee I'll be there last.

Tack
This is a great post (once again Tack)!

This is also a very accurate description (explenation?) of what is truly wrong with our prisons. Once you get out, nothing is the same as it was before. Hell, even with a non-violent, non-theft MM I got odd looks from a number of potential employers and many that just blow you off because of it.

What is left for a convicted felon but McDonalds drive threw?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 03-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5737 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
What is left for a convicted felon but McDonalds drive threw?
They would seem well-suited to a career in politics, though any rehabilitory measures they endured during their incarceration would have been counter-productive.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #33
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 893 Times on 563 Posts
Likes Given: 4740

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
The people of the state through their election of state legislators, govenor, and judges have set the bar for what is required to repay a debt to society.

I understand your argument, but a victims family isnt exactly impartial as a jury is which explains why we are tried by a jury of our peers and not the family of the victims.

The child in your theoritical scenario must be the offspring of a felon or other persons not in possession of firearms. When my kid asks me about the boogy man that broke in, I will look her in the eyes and say, "dont worry, daddy made sure that boogy man is never coming back." This, of course, something that a convicted felon could not provide for his family; security.

We argue against liberal gun grabbers that an unarmed populace is nothing more than slavery, while an armed populace is a citizenry. Yet you would argue WITH the gun grabbers against the non-violent felon?

No, I stand by my previous statement. Being labled a felon today is the same as being made a second rate citizen. I can conceive no argument that can overcome this most basic of logics...
I understand your point about the elected officials and appointed judges (not all are elcted - even at the state level), however, WE should be the ones that decide what is or is not a law, and what the punishment for breaking it is, by a vote on it - not because we voted someone in office.

There is no such thing as a "jury of your peers" anymore, if there ever was one. Besides, I wouldn't trust my life or freedom with 12 people not honest enough to get out of jury duty by stating that they can not truly be impartial.

The parents/guardians of the child could have a gun, but it is useless if the bad guy makes it into the home quiet enough as to not wake anyone. At that point, doesn't matter if you get rid of him or not. Also, dogs aren't always reliable as early warning devices, as they'll bark because a car drove by, which would tend to cause those not super paranoid to just ignore the dog.

Has any of what I have previously stated been that I think ALL felons shouldn't be allowed to exercise their 2A (or any) rights? Nope. I have been talking about VIOLENT felons, hence the talk of murderers and rapists, not car theives.

Being labeled a felon for anything other that rape or murder can be justified, depending on the actions and intent.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I find this interesting. Ideally, media coverage should encourage parties involved to act in a fair and legal manner, as if they were being observed by a supervisor. In practice, media coverage seems to encourage overly dramatic testimony & evidence presentation, not to mention sensationalization of the various parties to the crime. Some kind of standards might be helpful, but there is no objective party to promulgate these standards. The media is motivated by money to get coverage their audiences will enjoy and watch; the defense team and prosecutors are motivated to get coverage that will persuade the viewers to support their contentions as to guilt/innocence and circumstances of the crime. The judiciary is, IMO, motivated to hold on to its judicial power & influence, presumably by attempting to appear just, learned, and whatever else they think the viewers are wanting in a judge.

Once again in America, a standard is needed, but who is trustworthy to establish it?
I know many lawyers, about an equal mix of prosecutors and defense. None of the prosecutors I know or have met want any kind of media coverage, other than updates. Only a few of the d-bags (I mean, defense lawyers) I know are happy with the media trying the case. They like it because the media isn't bound by any of what lawyers are bound by. Defense can't get a peice of evidence thrown out, because it was obtained legally, they get the reporters of infer that it wasn't. They know their client is guilty, they point to a dozen other people, making the media harass the DA's office as to why they aren't being arrested (not cleared of any wrong doing, as would have normally happened).

Now, my comments about the media have been primarily about PRE TRIAL. I guess I should have specified this. However, I figured the Casey Anthony mention was good enough, considering it was due to the massive media coverage that the prosecutors were forced to move in haste. They HAD to arrest her, and bring her to trial, because the public demanded it, because they KNEW she was guilty - screw the rule of law - don't need to prove guilt when the good public knows it.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagner View Post
A judge has decided that under Louisiana law, felons cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms. I would expect the Feds to disagree.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/03/new_orleans_judge_rules_statut.html
Looks like the jails in Louisiana are getting overcrowded again. Assuming that many convicted felons don't care one iota about the gun laws, why not decriminalize it and cut down on the prisoner count?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Looks like the jails in Louisiana are getting overcrowded again. Assuming that many convicted felons don't care one iota about the gun laws, why not decriminalize it and cut down on the prisoner count?
No using rational thought....

j/k I somewhat agree here.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-23-2013, 01:33 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
No using rational thought....
Yeah, I'm sorry. I forgot this was the internet. I'll try to knock it off. <grin>