Judge says felons can possess guns - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Judge says felons can possess guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 02:07 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 659 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 3680

Quote:
Current law creates a second class of citizens which are not permitted their God given right to self defence.
Current law does no such thing. I know this is a firearms forum, and apparently most people on here perceive firearms as the only means of protection, but, they aren't.

Quote:
If he has dutifly served his sentence (and his debt to society)
Who decides that the debt is paid off? The parole board? Certainly not Society.

And certainly not the family and loved ones of those that were murdered. Same as most rape victims, they'll never feel any "debt" is paid off.

Or, are you just referring to instances where the victims were not physically harmed? If so, then what do YOU say to the child that is having nightmares of the boogeyman that broke into his/her house? Went into his/her room?

Then again, this is all on the false assumption that none of them will be repeat offenders....

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-22-2013, 02:15 AM   #12

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1400

"felonies" originally only described the most dangerous crimes committed by people unfit for society.

But it has been broadened to mean all sorts of things and the term has been extremly diluted.

But the laws limiting "felons" have stayed

Nearly everyone in this forum depending how the wind blows might be made a felon by the stroke of a pen.

Lets approach this in a thinking manner and realize the meaning of "felon" has changed from our parents time.

PS: Sorry for the typos in my post.. EDITED

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 03-22-2013 at 09:11 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Yep. It doesn't take much to become a felon now days. I know a young man. When he was 18. His buddies talked him into breaking into someones unattended house and stealing a small safe. They got caught. This was his only offense, yet he is a felon.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #14

Liked 4785 Times on 2314 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I agree with this. Thomas Jefferson said, "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." I think all free men should have access, even felons. I feel that if you commit a violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, etc you shouldn't be allowed out of prison. These violent people have proven that can't be trusted in society, so keep them locked down. Plain and simple, if you aren't locked up you should have all your rights. But...we don't have room bc we are more concerned with giving drug users mandatory minimums so the real threats are on a revolving door plan.
Bingo...

It's quite rare for Tack to read a post that I can't "improve" upon... ^^THIS^^ is one!

Well said 1911love!

Tack

Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 AM   #15

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

A very good point. The Felony today is a simple claim by some one that you hit them. We have words that are not PC which can be parlayed into felony counts. Pointing ones finger while saying "Bang"?

As far as using a sentence to satisfy a victims feeling has never been a part of American Justice. That comes under vengeance not justice. Police officers are being disarmed and fired because a girl friend in High School claims the officer was violent in his youth. Do we need to revisit gun laws and felony, yes. Are felony counts and PC conduct being used for pseudo gun control, of course.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:04 AM   #16

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I agree with this. Thomas Jefferson said, "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." I think all free men should have access, even felons. I feel that if you commit a violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, etc you shouldn't be allowed out of prison. These violent people have proven that can't be trusted in society, so keep them locked down. Plain and simple, if you aren't locked up you should have all your rights. But...we don't have room bc we are more concerned with giving drug users mandatory minimums so the real threats are on a revolving door plan.
I also have to give kudos to this response. Mirrored my thoughts perfectly, and worded them much better than I could.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
A very good point. The Felony today is a simple claim by some one that you hit them. We have words that are not PC which can be parlayed into felony counts. Pointing ones finger while saying "Bang"?

As far as using a sentence to satisfy a victims feeling has never been a part of American Justice. That comes under vengeance not justice. Police officers are being disarmed and fired because a girl friend in High School claims the officer was violent in his youth. Do we need to revisit gun laws and felony, yes. Are felony counts and PC conduct being used for pseudo gun control, of course.
It's not about satisfying a victim's "feelings". It's about what is and is not actual justice, and who decides that it has been met.

The entire justice system needs to be revamped, as well as how it is used.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-22-2013, 03:17 AM   #18

The system makes mistakes individuals make many mistakes. A justice system based on emotions is called Vigilante Justice. I don't think anyone would want to be judged only by the victims family.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:30 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm not talking about being judged by the victim or the victim's family. Nor am I talking about vigilante justice.

I'm talking about punishments that actually fit the crime.

You commit a mass murder (like Sandy Hook, VA Tech, etc.), you should be hanged.

However, when I say that the justice system needs to be revamped, I'm talking more about the activist judges that let things go they shouldn't, and don't allow things they should.

Also, media coverage should be limited, that way those responsible for ensuring that the guilty party is actually the one being arrested and tried can do so. And that the prosecutors aren't being rushed into trial by the people (like with Casey Anthony).

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #20

The punishment should fit the crime? That is an often quoted statement. Who's vision of the punishment shall we choose? Will the vision of the anti-death penalty churches prevail? Will the very pro-execution factions prevail?