Judge says felons can possess guns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Judge says felons can possess guns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 188 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default Judge says felons can possess guns

A judge has decided that under Louisiana law, felons cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms. I would expect the Feds to disagree.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/03/new_orleans_judge_rules_statut.html

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The "Left" after suffering the defeat on an AWB by their own leaders Harry Reid are attacking the NRA. The Democrats blame the NRA for forcing Senator Reid to abandon President Obama on this one.
They are now claiming the NRA is protecting felons who kill and harm women and children. The "Liberals" never accept blame for anything.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I like that previous LA statute they quoted; it seemed to limit the prohibition to violent-type felonies as it should be.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #4

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I agree with this. Thomas Jefferson said, "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." I think all free men should have access, even felons. I feel that if you commit a violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, etc you shouldn't be allowed out of prison. These violent people have proven that can't be trusted in society, so keep them locked down. Plain and simple, if you aren't locked up you should have all your rights. But...we don't have room bc we are more concerned with giving drug users mandatory minimums so the real threats are on a revolving door plan.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #5

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
I agree with this. Thomas Jefferson said, "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." I think all free men should have access, even felons. I feel that if you commit a violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, etc you shouldn't be allowed out of prison. These violent people have proven that can't be trusted in society, so keep them locked down. Plain and simple, if you aren't locked up you should have all your rights. But...we don't have room bc we are more concerned with giving drug users mandatory minimums so the real threats are on a revolving door plan.
+1. If not a violent offender and served their time. I see no problem with them being able to own a firearm. Imo violent offenders should be hanged.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

The ruling is constitutional. Judges must uphold.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 PM   #7

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Its not every day you see a perfect response, but this ladies and gentlmen...this is such!

Current law creates a second class of citizens which are not permitted their God given right to self defence. A convicted felon not free to use his Second Amendment right should not be free at all. If he has dutifly served his sentence (and his debt to society) he should be as reborn, a free man once more.

Im noticing a slight up-tick in "good" judges of late! Makes me warm and fuzzy!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 03-21-2013 at 08:42 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1227 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't think they can possess, but they don't have to register the gun. If they register a gun they cannot legally have, they testify against themselves, which is protected by the fifth amendment.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 03-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #9

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thanks BigByrd!

Exactly Dao, that's why the NFA applies only to us LACs and not violent felons. Complete BS.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Its not every day you see a perfect response, but this ladies and gentlmen...this is such!

Current law creates a second class of citizens which are not permitted their God given right to self defence. A convicted felon not free to use his Second Amendment right should not be free at all. If he has dutifly served his sentence (and his debt to society) he should be as reborn, a free man once more.

Im noticing a slight up-tick in "good" judges of late! Makes me warm and fuzzy!
If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. If these felons are so dangerous to society that they are not allowed their rights when released they should not be released. I can kind of understand a trial waiting period. But parole pretty much takes care of that. They can have limitations of all kinds there anyway. Once done the person has done their time and paid their debt. If this is not the case then don't release them. Otherwise there is no reason for them not to be free citizens in the true sense of the word.

I have often wondered if the F word is used so liberally (pun intended) so as to keep people from being free citizens taking people out of almost all aspects of society. No vote, no protection, no problem.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

BigByrd47119 Likes This