Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Judge says felons can possess guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/judge-says-felons-can-possess-guns-87109/)

JWagner 03-21-2013 07:58 PM

Judge says felons can possess guns

A judge has decided that under Louisiana law, felons cannot be prohibited from possessing firearms. I would expect the Feds to disagree.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2013/03/new_orleans_judge_rules_statut.html

nitestalker 03-21-2013 08:12 PM

The "Left" after suffering the defeat on an AWB by their own leaders Harry Reid are attacking the NRA. The Democrats blame the NRA for forcing Senator Reid to abandon President Obama on this one.
They are now claiming the NRA is protecting felons who kill and harm women and children. The "Liberals" never accept blame for anything.;)

orangello 03-21-2013 08:16 PM

I like that previous LA statute they quoted; it seemed to limit the prohibition to violent-type felonies as it should be.

1911love 03-21-2013 08:18 PM

I agree with this. Thomas Jefferson said, "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." I think all free men should have access, even felons. I feel that if you commit a violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, etc you shouldn't be allowed out of prison. These violent people have proven that can't be trusted in society, so keep them locked down. Plain and simple, if you aren't locked up you should have all your rights. But...we don't have room bc we are more concerned with giving drug users mandatory minimums so the real threats are on a revolving door plan.

tomgodd 03-21-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love (Post 1185101)
I agree with this. Thomas Jefferson said, "No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." I think all free men should have access, even felons. I feel that if you commit a violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, etc you shouldn't be allowed out of prison. These violent people have proven that can't be trusted in society, so keep them locked down. Plain and simple, if you aren't locked up you should have all your rights. But...we don't have room bc we are more concerned with giving drug users mandatory minimums so the real threats are on a revolving door plan.

+1. If not a violent offender and served their time. I see no problem with them being able to own a firearm. Imo violent offenders should be hanged.

Jagermeister 03-21-2013 08:28 PM

The ruling is constitutional. Judges must uphold.

BigByrd47119 03-21-2013 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911love (Post 1185101)

Its not every day you see a perfect response, but this ladies and gentlmen...this is such!

Current law creates a second class of citizens which are not permitted their God given right to self defence. A convicted felon not free to use his Second Amendment right should not be free at all. If he has dutifly served his sentence (and his debt to society) he should be as reborn, a free man once more.

Im noticing a slight up-tick in "good" judges of late! Makes me warm and fuzzy!

Daoust_Nat 03-21-2013 11:22 PM

I don't think they can possess, but they don't have to register the gun. If they register a gun they cannot legally have, they testify against themselves, which is protected by the fifth amendment.

1911love 03-21-2013 11:42 PM

Thanks BigByrd!

Exactly Dao, that's why the NFA applies only to us LACs and not violent felons. Complete BS.

DrumJunkie 03-21-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 (Post 1185118)
Its not every day you see a perfect response, but this ladies and gentlmen...this is such!

Current law creates a second class of citizens which are not permitted their God given right to self defence. A convicted felon not free to use his Second Amendment right should not be free at all. If he has dutifly served his sentence (and his debt to society) he should be as reborn, a free man once more.

Im noticing a slight up-tick in "good" judges of late! Makes me warm and fuzzy!

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. If these felons are so dangerous to society that they are not allowed their rights when released they should not be released. I can kind of understand a trial waiting period. But parole pretty much takes care of that. They can have limitations of all kinds there anyway. Once done the person has done their time and paid their debt. If this is not the case then don't release them. Otherwise there is no reason for them not to be free citizens in the true sense of the word.

I have often wondered if the F word is used so liberally (pun intended) so as to keep people from being free citizens taking people out of almost all aspects of society. No vote, no protection, no problem.:(