James Brady dies..........
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > James Brady dies..........

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 23,235
Liked 7328 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9017

Default James Brady dies..........

I can't believe no one has started a thread on this. Maybe it just doesn't matter and there is no interest. Let's see what you all have to say. Any comments?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/white-house-press-secretary-james-brady-wounded-attempted-1981-assassination-president-ronald-reagan-dead-73-article-1.1891303

__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 08-06-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DrFootball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Northern Arizona(Fmr. NYC & L.I.)
Posts: 8,024
Liked 3275 Times on 2227 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default

Very sad he took a round to the head. Very valiant to struggle and mostly recover from it. His name will always be thought of "in Sync" with the Background check. Again, the person, not the tool, is the criminal..


Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

__________________
askdrfootball@gmail.com

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
DrFootball is online now  
7
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mercator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,183
Liked 2220 Times on 1550 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Default

I don't know if the background checks work as intended. What I do know is, a crazy POS nearly killed Ronald Reagan. Reagan! The course of human history was about to take a different turn. At the time I'd have been open to any goddamn suggestion on how to prevent that from happening again, ever. Nobody came up with anything better than the Brady Campaign. Too bad. I'll take it.

James Brady suffered greatly, because he was there in service of President Reagan. He took a bullet intended for Reagan. He was a martyr for America. RIP.

__________________
"You can't reason with a flying crowbar"
Mercator is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

he and Reagan were the victims of a deranged gunman who had delusions of grandeur.

he was left pretty much an invalid after he was shot, and forever his legacy afterwards will be the Brady Bill.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
7
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,674
Liked 6325 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 6813

Default

Being a victim of a violent crime is a lifechanger for sure, both RR (emotionally) and JB (Physically) were severely traumatized by the attack in ways that caused them both to use their pulpit to seek greater safety for themselves and others. I dont blame either for looking towards new laws to do this but I dont agree that the laws they hoped would diminish this type of thing did much of anything to prevent future ones either. As Axxe pointed out, this wasnt a strategic crime of opportunity, it was a nutcase going crazy and insufficient protective posture for someone who was in the cross-hairs of allot of folks that hated him for his beliefs.

Immediately after this happened, the only thing that could help protect these folks happened, they eliminated nearly all public contact in uncontrolled situations for dignitaries like POTUSes and Popes, that has probably saved allot more of them than any BCG Check that came out of the tragic attack on my favorite president.

I always felt very sorry for Mr Brady, his life was ruined just because he was close to a very well known target. He should be fondly remembered for taking a bullet that had our presidents name on it not putting his name on a bill that wouldnt have stopped the occurrence of the tragedy to begin with.

__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

John Hinckley Jr. was a seriously unbalanced and mentally unstable person.

i can't say even had there been a law in place like the Brady Bill already, that it would have stopped or prevented the same attack that happened.

here's some information about Hinckley that might be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley,_Jr.

__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,674
Liked 6325 Times on 3156 Posts
Likes Given: 6813

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
John Hinckley Jr. was a seriously unbalanced and mentally unstable person.

i can't say even had there been a law in place like the Brady Bill already, that it would have stopped or prevented the same attack that happened.

here's some information about Hinckley that might be interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley,_Jr.
Our current BCG stats actually prove it wouldnt have prevented anything. Denial is the first step, the second step which is prosecution happens less than 5% of the time. So if Hinckley or another crazy person got denied and nobody does a thing about him trying to buy a gun, his next step is to buy a gun on the corner from a punk who stole his grandaddies pocket pistol that has no trace at all possible. Then he shoots Brady or instead just ran him down with a Van, now he, 4 SS guys and Ronald Reagan are dead, thats not any less probable under the conditions this crap happens.

Laws like locks arent prevention, just short detours from easy to simple enough.
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 28,735
Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Our current BCG stats actually prove it wouldnt have prevented anything. Denial is the first step, the second step which is prosecution happens less than 5% of the time. So if Hinckley or another crazy person got denied and nobody does a thing about him trying to buy a gun, his next step is to buy a gun on the corner from a punk who stole his grandaddies pocket pistol that has no trace at all possible. Then he shoots Brady or instead just ran him down with a Van, now he, 4 SS guys and Ronald Reagan are dead, thats not any less probable under the conditions this crap happens.

Laws like locks arent prevention, just short detours from easy to simple enough.
another point to consider is that a person can be mentally unstable and appear normal. and unless they have been committed to a mental facility of some sort, then there is no way they would be denied from purchasing a firearm legally.

in just the past couple of years, there now have been violent shooting where the shooter was know to have mental problems and no one did anything about it, allowing them to still legally purchase firearms.

so in some cases, a BGC is not going to stop a mentally unstable person unless there have been instances where they have been committed in the past for mental issues and this is on their record.
__________________
Axxe55 is offline  
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Cnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 54
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
another point to consider is that a person can be mentally unstable and appear normal. and unless they have been committed to a mental facility of some sort, then there is no way they would be denied from purchasing a firearm legally.

in just the past couple of years, there now have been violent shooting where the shooter was know to have mental problems and no one did anything about it, allowing them to still legally purchase firearms.

so in some cases, a BGC is not going to stop a mentally unstable person unless there have been instances where they have been committed in the past for mental issues and this is on their record.

That's correct.


Cnon
__________________
Cnon is offline  
Axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 848
Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default

Very conflicted. I think the Brady family has done horrible by this country in terms of our freedoms, but James Brady himself seemed to be an honorable man who found himself in a horrible situation.

May he R.I.P. but I hope his legacy soon fades away as well.

__________________

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

CrazedJava is offline  
6
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Texas .30-06 Dies for .30-30 Dies - Trade ACES 6 Trades 2 09-29-2013 03:26 AM
Would James Bond go Sig? 357cultist SIG Sauer Forum 4 03-16-2013 03:55 PM
Favorite/Best James Bond 007 BeyondTheBox The Club House 16 01-01-2013 10:26 PM
Who was the best james bond ???..... LONGHAIR The Club House 21 08-29-2012 04:23 AM
A letter to Jesse James Jo da Plumbr The Club House 4 04-12-2010 01:13 PM