Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Issues with New York Gun Laws

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default Issues with New York Gun Laws

And I know there are a lot of cops here, but as they say, you're one of the good ones if you're on this forum.

My main beef is with nypd, and blue state cops. And also most Feds, ATF, IRS enforcement, and federal gun grabbers of all types.

I live in a city where cops are the only ones allowed to have guns, and if you are graced with the ability to carry, it is a cop, a lone cop, who makes that decision, if you are rejected, it is a cop who makes that decision as well.

Leaving a gun show, ATF was obviously in the area in plain clothes, we were warned by some at the show, and the agents were obvious. NYPD is full of douchebags who mainly enforce the stupid and oppressive laws on everything in NYC. As a building owner I have seen landlords locked up for renting units for less than 30 days and treated like drug kingpins, cops here are rude, abusive and full of themselves. Not to mention the fact that NYC is no longer very selective, they just want boots on the ground. Just yesterday I saw two of the most ghetto chicks pulling over a guy, short, fat and stupid, yet they have the power.

I've gone to red states and cops are serious, polite, courteous, they don't treat you like a subject, but like a citizen.

And to think, as a high schooler I defended the officers involved with the amadu dialo shooting. I'm tired of being pro police in this state where the police are not pro me.

Bit of a rant, but tell me how you guys feel.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2012, 07:50 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6557 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

NYPD (New York), LAPD (Las Angeles), SFPD (San Francisco), CPD (Chicago), these are all police departments that I wouldn't trust with anything. I'm sure not all police departments in blue states are full of scum, but many seem to be.

That said, I don't have a problem with individual officers unless I know they have done something wrong. The police around here are pretty nice (and all of the ones on FTF are awesome). If you don't break the law, they don't bug you.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I don't live in New York, hope to never. And, I never plan to live in New Jersey or any state along the Atlantic Ocean. I think the further a person gets from the east coast the lower the control and restriction are concerning guns. If one could get west of Ohio they will find the gun tolerance level goes up. I live in Michigan, and there are a lot of people here packing. From grandma, to daughter, to granddaughter each are loaded with something.

The further west a person heads the more open guns seem to become. It might have a lot to do with the density of the population, with more people there is a need for more control. Packing a gun appears to be an Alpha thing, and those who are timid live in total fear of the Alpha. I totally understand that Alpha needs to use some sense of common sense with their guns to avoid a frightful stir.

In this state there are designated state game areas where shooters can take their guns and have a fun shoot without being hassled. It's all about respect and responsibility when it comes to guns. Anyone getting outside the acceptable level of behavior, the heat will come down. Here, in Michigan, there are numerous shooting clubs and ranges where shooters can visit and do their thing.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 564 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 3201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
I don't live in New York, hope to never. And, I never plan to live in New Jersey or any state along the Atlantic Ocean. I think the further a person gets from the east coast the lower the control and restriction are concerning guns. If one could get west of Ohio they will find the gun tolerance level goes up. I live in Michigan, and there are a lot of people here packing. From grandma, to daughter, to granddaughter each are loaded with something.

The further west a person heads the more open guns seem to become. It might have a lot to do with the density of the population, with more people there is a need for more control. Packing a gun appears to be an Alpha thing, and those who are timid live in total fear of the Alpha. I totally understand that Alpha needs to use some sense of common sense with their guns to avoid a frightful stir.

In this state there are designated state game areas where shooters can take their guns and have a fun shoot without being hassled. It's all about respect and responsibility when it comes to guns. Anyone getting outside the acceptable level of behavior, the heat will come down. Here, in Michigan, there are numerous shooting clubs and ranges where shooters can visit and do their thing.
New Hampshire isn't bad on firearms restrictions, they're pretty decent, acutally (they gave me a non res permit). Vermont is even better, as there is no permit needed to carry concealed. Not sure about Maine, but I know they are pretty good with their laws as well.

3 East Coast states that are gun owner friendly... just saying

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

I don't have an issue with most here in the Upper Midwest.....move to the 'Heartland', you'll enjoy life more

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

Maine is a little tougher. They at the least require you to take a firearms course. And here in NH, you can carry openly without a permit just like VT you can carry concealed without a permit.
What did your non-resident permit for NH cost ya?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2529 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Police Departments, in most cases, are a reflection of the govt that pays for it. In a jurisdiction run by a liberal political machine, the agencies in that jurisdiction are going to reflect that. Bloomberg or any other mayor, for that matter, is not going to appoint a police chief or commissioner that doesn't share his political beliefs. It starts at the top. The only fix is to change the politics of the top officials, be it at federal, state or local level.
FWIW, I kind of feel the same way. It used to be that my default was to automatically give police the benefit of the doubt. My father was a LEO, so I kind of get where they are coming from. But nowadays, I tend to see police as simply a piece of the bloated, arrogant govt who's job it is to fleece the peasantry. Fines, fees & taxes are the priority. I'm a peaceful law abiding citizen. If I get pulled over, I know I probably earned it and I tend to act accordingly (yes sir, no sir, etc.) I don't hate police, but I no longer take it on faith that officer Bob is on my side, or is going to treat me in a respectful manner.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #8

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

If you get stopped, you broke the law. That's how I look at it.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #9

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan16 View Post
If you get stopped, you broke the law. That's how I look at it.

hmm...that's accepting.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8307 Times on 3590 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Very old saying- many of you have heard me say it before-

A community gets the police department it deserves.

A police department gets the community it deserves.

I live in a rural county, Sheriff's Dept (elected Sheriff) and a few State Troopers. We expect LEOs to be civil, professional, and part of the community. We expect to bump into them at the local restaurant, working the local 4th Friday Concert, coaching the Little League, fishing with his or HER kids down at the lake.

Not to be knocking anyone else's hometown- but LA, SF, Chicago, NYC, Baltimore- how did you folks let things get so far off with your LEOs and your government?

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Closed Thread