Inventorying Legal Issues
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Inventorying Legal Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Inventorying Legal Issues

So Im a college student that made my first app and never thought of the legal repercussions of the it and am curious what you guys think of the general idea... its called Gun inventory and its essentially a database where you can keep track of all your firearms information in-case they are stolen... What do you guys think of the overall idea? would it be worth it to have that information or is it just a way that the government can track you and your weapons easier?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan1478 View Post
So Im a college student that made my first app and never thought of the legal repercussions of the it and am curious what you guys think of the general idea... its called Gun inventory and its essentially a database where you can keep track of all your firearms information in-case they are stolen... What do you guys think of the overall idea? would it be worth it to have that information or is it just a way that the government can track you and your weapons easier?
Welcome! Stop over to the Intro thread and introduce yourself when you have a sec.

Your app is probably fine and it has a lot of company.

Personally, I keep a description, s/n and pic of my firearms in a spreadsheet that be read pretty much anywhere. To be honest, I haven't seen the need to look into an application that keeps track of one's guns. If I'm missing something, please yell.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #3

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

If you have more than a handful of firearms you probably need a way to keep up with them. I am not worried about government confiscation near as much as I worry about theft.

I built a data base that includes a lot of information on each firearm I own, including serials, what accessories I have for it, how it shoots, detailed descripiton of condition, a photo of the receiver, price paid/sold, etc.

If (when) something happens to me, my family can get rid of them with some knowledge of what they are worth, and can describe them to potential buyers. I would hate for some joker to get one of my favorites too cheap. There is actually a couple I would rather take with me to the grave to keep some jerk from getting them....

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
If you have more than a handful of firearms you probably need a way to keep up with them. I am not worried about government confiscation near as much as I worry about theft.

I built a data base that includes a lot of information on each firearm I own, including serials, what accessories I have for it, how it shoots, detailed descripiton of condition, a photo of the receiver, price paid/sold, etc.

If (when) something happens to me, my family can get rid of them with some knowledge of what they are worth, and can describe them to potential buyers. I would hate for some joker to get one of my favorites too cheap. There is actually a couple I would rather take with me to the grave to keep some jerk from getting them....
Damn Chainfire, what good are they going to do you in the ground. Nobody in your family shoot?

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Sounds useful to me. Currently, i just keep pics of the firearms and #'s.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #6

Liked 1654 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Damn Chainfire, what good are they going to do you in the ground. Nobody in your family shoot?
Well you never know when you might need your .45. Better safe than sorry.

The truth is, my son will get his pick, my daughter will get her pick then I hope my wife will sell the rest, as I would like to see her recover some of the money she has watched me spend over the years. Then she can answer the question I have heard so often: "Why do you need another gun?"

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Sounds like a plan, and final vendication.

NEVER FORGET

Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Talking

Microsoft beat you to it with Excel, and before that, pen and paper. If developing the app is something you would enjoy, then go for it, but expect to make nothing and only gain satisfaction.

Make sure you have good end user agreement so you don't get the bill if the software fails and someone loses something valuable as a result. Remember, you will need to defend yourself even if just to prove you or your software did nothing wrong.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:41 AM   #9

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I use an access program I created but I could see a use for your app for those who maybe on the go or something. My only issue would be who or better yet what agency may gain access to some of the info in the app.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:23 AM   #10
Vendor
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thumbs up It can be fun but keep your day job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepergeo View Post
Microsoft beat you to it with Excel, and before that, pen and paper. If developing the app is something you would enjoy, then go for it, but expect to make nothing and only gain satisfaction.
This is the truth. I have been developing collector software primarily to learn and polish my skills in new technologies that I can apply at work. I have learned and / or enhanced the following skills in my approximately 12 years of developing software for collectors:

• database design and development
  • VB6 client development (NM Gun Collector Software)
  • Java Swing (NM Collector Software)
  • Mobile Apps (NM Collector for the Android)
  • more

Also, you would be surprised how demanding people are for a $20.00 - $50.00 product! On the other hand, I have met some really nice people who really appreciate the software products I have produced and are very generous in many ways.

It is definitely worth doing if money is not your primary objective.

Clay