Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Interstate Transportation of Firearms

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 94 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default Interstate Transportation of Firearms

While my Florida CCW is currently valid in 35 States I will be traveling in a couple where it is not.

United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 § 926A
Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Will this be honored if I am stopped and am in compliance with above? Anyone with any experience in this area?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Yep you are fine as long as you follow the transportation rules. I got pulled over in IL and had them in the back of the truck with no problem.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5538 Times on 3134 Posts
Likes Given: 4818

You may get hassled if the officer is an arse-whole, but you won't bet arrested or have your guns taken away.

Winston Churchill

Old 07-31-2012, 07:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
You may get hassled if the officer is an arse-whole, but you won't bet arrested or have your guns taken away.
I actually had one loaded in the center dash but shhhhhh he didn't ask about ALL my guns

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 07-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8705 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

With the exception of NJ and New York- where there seems to be a reading comprehension problem among some folks that think state law trumps THAT Federal law.

Unload, case them, lock them in trunk. Be aware of the facilities you may NOT carry a firearm into- secured side of airports, marine ports, post offices, Federal property, Military reservations (some exceptions there)

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 07-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
With the exception of NJ and New York- where there seems to be a reading comprehension problem among some folks that think state law trumps THAT Federal law.

Unload, case them, lock them in trunk. Be aware of the facilities you may NOT carry a firearm into- secured side of airports, marine ports, post offices, Federal property, Military reservations (some exceptions there)
So going through NY may be a problem. That is on my route. Can they search youir vehicle for no reason without a warrent in NY?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post
So going through NY may be a problem. That is on my route. Can they search youir vehicle for no reason without a warrent in NY?
No they aren't supposed to but it has happened before. It's more NYC that's the problem from what I understand the NY state although the state as some messed up laws.

Member:

Old 08-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscho View Post

Will this be honored if I am stopped and am in compliance with above? Anyone with any experience in this area?
Perhaps I've been lucky, I've just never drawn a full-scale vehicle search

in all my years of extensive travel. I also lock it up in the trunk, in

bad states.

Sir, may I recommend making your influence be felt in states which

don't support you, by driving straight through to a friendlier state, and

by spending absolutely no money in these restrictive states, whatsoever?

IME, this has always worked for me...
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
Perhaps I've been lucky, I've just never drawn a full-scale vehicle search

in all my years of extensive travel. I also lock it up in the trunk, in

bad states.

Sir, may I recommend making your influence be felt in states which

don't support you, by driving straight through to a friendlier state, and

by spending absolutely no money in these restrictive states, whatsoever?

IME, this has always worked for me...
I was born and brought up there (NY state) but got out as soon as I could when I was 17. When I was a kid there I could ride down main street with my .22 rifle slung over my shouder going woodchuck hunting and no one got their panties in a wad.

Last edited by redscho; 08-03-2012 at 11:30 AM.