Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Interstate Transportation of Firearms (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/interstate-transportation-firearms-69328/)

redscho 07-31-2012 05:42 PM

Interstate Transportation of Firearms

While my Florida CCW is currently valid in 35 States I will be traveling in a couple where it is not.
United States Code Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 926A
Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
Will this be honored if I am stopped and am in compliance with above? Anyone with any experience in this area?

silverado113 07-31-2012 05:58 PM

Yep you are fine as long as you follow the transportation rules. I got pulled over in IL and had them in the back of the truck with no problem.

locutus 07-31-2012 06:57 PM

You may get hassled if the officer is an arse-whole, but you won't bet arrested or have your guns taken away.

silverado113 07-31-2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 888326)
You may get hassled if the officer is an arse-whole, but you won't bet arrested or have your guns taken away.

I actually had one loaded in the center dash but shhhhhh he didn't ask about ALL my guns :D

c3shooter 07-31-2012 07:50 PM

With the exception of NJ and New York- where there seems to be a reading comprehension problem among some folks that think state law trumps THAT Federal law.

Unload, case them, lock them in trunk. Be aware of the facilities you may NOT carry a firearm into- secured side of airports, marine ports, post offices, Federal property, Military reservations (some exceptions there)

redscho 07-31-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 888372)
With the exception of NJ and New York- where there seems to be a reading comprehension problem among some folks that think state law trumps THAT Federal law.

Unload, case them, lock them in trunk. Be aware of the facilities you may NOT carry a firearm into- secured side of airports, marine ports, post offices, Federal property, Military reservations (some exceptions there)

So going through NY may be a problem. That is on my route. :( Can they search youir vehicle for no reason without a warrent in NY?

silverado113 07-31-2012 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redscho (Post 888440)
So going through NY may be a problem. That is on my route. :( Can they search youir vehicle for no reason without a warrent in NY?

No they aren't supposed to but it has happened before. It's more NYC that's the problem from what I understand the NY state although the state as some messed up laws.

therewolf 08-01-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redscho (Post 888273)

Will this be honored if I am stopped and am in compliance with above? Anyone with any experience in this area?

Perhaps I've been lucky, I've just never drawn a full-scale vehicle search

in all my years of extensive travel. I also lock it up in the trunk, in

bad states.

Sir, may I recommend making your influence be felt in states which

don't support you, by driving straight through to a friendlier state, and

by spending absolutely no money in these restrictive states, whatsoever?

IME, this has always worked for me...

redscho 08-02-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 889355)
Perhaps I've been lucky, I've just never drawn a full-scale vehicle search

in all my years of extensive travel. I also lock it up in the trunk, in

bad states.

Sir, may I recommend making your influence be felt in states which

don't support you, by driving straight through to a friendlier state, and

by spending absolutely no money in these restrictive states, whatsoever?

IME, this has always worked for me...

I was born and brought up there (NY state) but got out as soon as I could when I was 17. When I was a kid there I could ride down main street with my .22 rifle slung over my shouder going woodchuck hunting and no one got their panties in a wad.