Info required for 17 year old

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Info required for 17 year old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 AM   #1
tag
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Info required for 17 year old

I'm 17 years old, and have been looking to get started on training with guns so I know how to use one if ever necessary. I know a little about guns, but not enough to have an extensive conversation with one of my teachers who I talk about them every once in awhile to. If anyone can direct me to some sources on learning about guns and how I should get started on studying about guns. I love to talk about them with as little knowledge as I understand. But, even more knowledge would make the conversations a little more vivid and allow me to practice caution when using a gun. Thank you all for taking the time to read this and reply.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2010, 02:25 AM   #2

You came to the right forum, try making a post in the Introductions thread and I am sure the great folks of FTF will guide you on your way!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 09-28-2010, 02:28 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's a wealth of info on these types of forums... enough to keep you reading for years with all the links... plus manufacturers' websites... dealer websites... tools like Genitron... What are you thinking about finding that you don't feel that you're finding?

"If the Earth were made of gold, I guess men would kill for a handful of dirt." - Gary Cooper's last line in the movie THE GARDEN OF EVIL

Old 09-28-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If your parents are OK with the idea, have them check into local laws about folks under 18 shooting with parental supervision and visit a gun range. Many let you rent firearms. That will give you some hands-on experience. Take a course on firearm safety first or have a range officer work with you.

As for learning about different firearms, ballistics, cost, etc. you came to the right place!

Old 09-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #5

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You can obtain a lot of good info here by our members. I am sorry though, that you live in New York....

Jim........

Old 09-28-2010, 01:42 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Sadly, as long as you're in NYC - handguns won't be in your future. My oldest lives in NYC and she had to jump through hoops just to shoot a .22 rifle at a NYC range...

Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Hang around here and absorb information, ask questions, get answers, continuing learning, visit some ranges that rent firearms and shoot various handguns and experience the moment. Education is good, along with the hands on experience.

Then...if you are still serious, as soon as you turn 18, get the hell out of New York and move to a gun friendly state...and/or join the military, lots of various weapons to get familiar with and shoot daily, especially in the Army or Marines!

Just my 's worth of suggestion, keep the change.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
tag

Moving to a different state is definitely something I want to do. I'm just afraid that I won't be able do too much by just going to college in another state because I'm pretty sure that students with guns on a campus is not allowed. Therefore, I'd only be able to practice and study at a gun range near a campus that I end up going to. I'm a senior in high school right now and it's almost time to start applying for colleges. Most of my colleges are in other states so there's a big chance that will happen. Anyone have suggestions of websites I should go through along with this site that will provide a vast amount of information that I can learn?

@Gordo323 Yup, I will definitely make many posts so I can learn as much as possible in little time. I'm a fast learner so it shouldn't take long to soak up even the basics.
@Alchemist I feel like I'm not able to do much with anything in this state. I'm aware of some of the gun laws and how I'm unable to carry a concealed weapon, let alone any gun for that matter. Also, I'm trying to look for the gun ranges. I've heard of there being a shooting range that holds shooting competitions for juniors (aka under 18yo) and I want to go there to practice since it seems to be allowed there. But, I've lost all hopes after I was unable to remember the name and range location. Also, I think that it's VERY far from NYC so I might not even have access to the range.
@bkt My parents aren't really OK in the sense that they are very err...how do I put this...They are very skeptical of the uses of guns by children. I may not have gained their trust yet although I'm very respectful. Not sure how to gain their trust which may result in their agreement of my decisions. I really want to take the safety courses, along with any classes that teach EVERYTHING about guns and how they work. I will definitely be browsing this site to learn as much as possible.
@masterPsmith I'm sad that I live in NYC too, well with respect for guns that is.
@NGIB I plan on moving to a place where I can have the best access to training of guns.
@IGETEVEN I'm definitely gonna absorb as much information as I can get from this site and any others that I bump into. I was thinking of applying to USMA but I have a blood problem and I'm not sure if that will prevent my acceptance(The blood problem is thrombocytopenia). I was accepted to the USMA summer program for the past summer, but was unable to go because of the same blood problem. If I'm unable to go to USMA, then I may join the Marines after I complete college.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag View Post
@IGETEVEN I'm definitely gonna absorb as much information as I can get from this site and any others that I bump into. I was thinking of applying to USMA but I have a blood problem and I'm not sure if that will prevent my acceptance(The blood problem is thrombocytopenia). I was accepted to the USMA summer program for the past summer, but was unable to go because of the same blood problem. If I'm unable to go to USMA, then I may join the Marines after I complete college.
If you are unable to go to West Point/Colorado Springs/Annapolis because of a blood condition the odds are you won't be able to enlist either.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 09-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #10

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
If you are unable to go to West Point/Colorado Springs/Annapolis because of a blood condition the odds are you won't be able to enlist either.
Tag- he is absolutely right. Especially the Marines, they are the hardest to get into. If thats what you want at least try, but your best chance is the Army or Navy.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945