Info on personal weapons in the military. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Info on personal weapons in the military.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

(Evil grin) Oh the fun I will have.

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 06-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #12
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 12818 Times on 5480 Posts
Likes Given: 2097

In GENERAL- all US military puts rather stringent limits on firearms that can be carried/ used on duty for a couple of reasons-

One- supply. Commonality of spare parts, magazines, and ammo.

Two- Commonality of use. M16s have a given range, rate of fire, etc. Delighted that you love your 1903A3 Springfield. How is that gonna work for house clearing?

Three- legalities. There are trifling little things like the Hague Accords, law of Land Warfare, etc. Issued weapons meet those standards. Non-issued- maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Your friend has a LOT to prove before he will be concerned about much beyond a full canteen and bug repellent. While all special warfare selection is heavily slanted towards physically challenging, MOST people bomb out on the MENTAL challenges they did not see coming. Does he know the miniumum standards set by his prospective branch to APPLY?

Old 06-12-2012, 02:17 AM   #13

Liked 3301 Times on 1661 Posts
Likes Given: 451

I suspect that it happens, but I also suspect that it is among well established personnel with a bit of rank who know what they can & can't get away with.
Jim Bob the newby needs to worry about plenty of other things first.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 06-12-2012, 02:23 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
In GENERAL- all US military puts rather stringent limits on firearms that can be carried/ used on duty for a couple of reasons-

Two- Commonality of use. M16s have a given range, rate of fire, etc. Delighted that you love your 1903A3 Springfield. How is that gonna work for house clearing?

Three- legalities. There are trifling little things like the Hague Accords, law of Land Warfare, etc. Issued weapons meet those standards. Non-issued- maybe they do, maybe they don't.

Your friend has a LOT to prove before he will be concerned about much beyond a full canteen and bug repellent. While all special warfare selection is heavily slanted towards physically challenging, MOST people bomb out on the MENTAL challenges they did not see coming. Does he know the miniumum standards set by his prospective branch to APPLY?
Are you talking about the asvab? He got a 90 something. Little mongrel's smart.

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 06-12-2012, 04:25 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter

Well said C3, sometimes it is a battle to bring my own magazines places. As for trusting troops with weapons... Well, I still don't trust some of mine who did graduate training, some with excellent marks. And not to mention getting into schools... It's a pain in the ass to say the least. I finally scored a slot for a school I've been wanting for years.

Old 06-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney

Are you talking about the asvab? He got a 90 something. Little mongrel's smart.
ASVAB means about nothing, and his overall score means nothing. His GT score is what they care about, and even more so is his ability to apply said knowledge and skills under pressure.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 548 Times on 329 Posts

No you can't use your own weapon while on active duty. I know that is the army's policy.
1 he will need to keep it in the arms room while he lives in the barracks. Or off post. But Then it needs to be registered with the provost Marshall office. Before you can bring it on post.
2 want to go shooting at the range or hunting with your own weapon on the weekend better ask your CO first to get it out of the arms room . On Friday cause no one will be there Saturday to let you in the arms room.
3 does he want every Tom, Dick, Harry messing with his stuff? Cause that's going to happen to while it's locked up in the arms room.
Tell your friend to worry about making it through basic and then his secondary Mos training before he worries about can I bring my own guns with me. Selection into any school is not easy and there's a reason why.

"I'm an A**hole"

Old 06-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #18

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

tell your friend not to worry about having his firearms on post because on his days off all he is going to want to do is drink and chase girls. At least thats all me and my buddies did on our days off. I did not feel like picking up shooting again until about 12 years after I got out of the Army.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8292 Times on 4264 Posts
Likes Given: 9557

SSGSF said it all, no carrying private weapons on duty, ever. If you live in the Barracks, they are in the arms room. All weapons that are carried on duty must be accounted for and approved by higher command. I cant remember a single case in 21 years of anyone carrying anything resembling a weapon that wasnt 100% issue other than Knives.

That was WW2 high brass, The Old National Guard and special operations with special duties carrying non standard weapons way back when. As My drill used to say, If the Army thought you needed it, it would be issued!

Good luck going for the gusto, if you make it, your gonna have plenty of fun with really cool guns, explosives and other interesting things. I suggest you start by working on your Pushup, Situp and 2 Mile run, do them all of the time and then deprive yourself of sleep and do it again. If you can max those out without sleep before you try to enter, its a good start!

Old 06-12-2012, 09:09 PM   #20

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Lots of great advice in this thread, I suggest your friend take a look at it.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity