Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Indiana Private Sales Law

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Indiana Private Sales Law

I am a 19 yr old Indiana resident who holds a Lifetime permit to conceal & carry a handgun. I have a friend who is over 21 (the legal age to purchase handguns from a dealer). I know that my father can purchase the gun for me but I'm wondering if my buddy can purchase it & then I can legally buy it from him?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-31-2010, 01:47 AM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Straw purchase...illegal! Have Dad buy the gun for you!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #3

I figured that. what defines a "straw purchase"?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:04 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's like you asking someone to buy alcohol for you. You the intended buyer, who for one reason or another cannot buy the weapon, ask someone else to purchase it for you. Whether they use their money to buy it and you buy it from them or you give them the money to buy it, it is a straw purchase. I am not certain what the laws are on private sales to persons not old enough to purchase a handgun, but I'm sure the seller would have some heavy explaining to do!

When in doubt, call your local law enforcement office or look here gunlaws.com - Indiana Gun Law Links

Have your Dad buy the gun for your birthday, unbirthday, Christmas, Easter or whatever present.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 AM   #5

This would be so much easier if our damn laws made sense ! I can purchase a permit on my own but cant purchase the gun to carry? Doesnt make too much sense to me

Old 08-31-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

If you start expecting laws and government regulations to make sense, you are destined to be dissappointed in many ways.

Buying from a DEALER (who is licensed by the Federal Govt) Federal law governs. 21 to buy a handgun. In some states, you may own a handgun at 18, which means you can buy from a private seller in your state, but not a dealer. A family member can buy a gun from a dealer AS A GIFT to you - but if someone buys a gun FOR you with YOUR money- THAT is a strawman sale.

And yes, you do have my sympathy. At the age of 20, I was an Army 1Lt, an infantry company commander, and could not buy a box of .45 ammo at the gun shop. Despite the fact that I was signed for enough mortars, recoiless rifles, and machineguns to level a small town.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 AM   #7

I just got enlisted ! But anyways, So if a friend who can legally purchase a gun, with his own money does purchase a gun & I just so happen to buy it from him with my own money, is that legal?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:51 AM   #8

How long does someone need to legally "own" a gun before they can sell it?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

If an FFL dealer takes one firearm out of the "For Sale" stock, annotates the books accordingly. They cannot do a private sale of the firearm for at least one year after it has been removed from stock.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #10

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

You want your buddy to buy a gun and sell it to you - that is a straw purchase plain & simple. Posting that here on a national open forum proves the intent to "break" the law. You asked...