Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Important gun laws in Maryland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 02:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Important gun laws in Maryland

Got a friend with some legal trouble. Arrested for assault not convicted yet court date is in march. No prior offenses. Can he currently purchase another fire arm.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2013, 03:34 AM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if there is no court order barring him from purchasing a firearm i dont see why not

Old 02-11-2013, 04:05 AM   #3

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Is he under indictment ? I would check this out before attempting to buy a firearm. He does not need to compound his charges.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8384 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Well, first of all, my bill for legal advice is in the mail to ya. I do take 5.56 ammo in payment.

Second, will depend of what the charges ARE. If he has been indicted for a crime that is a felony, OR is a crime of domestic violence, then NO. That is not MD, but Federal- applies everywhere, and is one of the questions on the 4473.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5262 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 332

If you do an end round on the law buy a gun then get convicted you now have to dispose of the gun by some means as you will be a felon in posession of a firearm.

Felons cant possess firearms regardless of when they bought one. Even borrowing one to go hunting or target shooting.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #6

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The federal standard is under indictment, if he hasn't been indicted, he won't run afoul of federal law.

There are still some Maryland hurdles he may have to jump through. He was arrested and released on recognizance or bail, a Maryland court commissioner or judge may make his release conditional, including a condition that he turn in firearms, failure to do so could lead to re-arrest and confinement before trial. Even if it isn't specifically noted, obtaining a new firearm under this condition would have the same result.

There are some next steps to consider, best case, your friend did nothing wrong and the charges would be dropped or he'd be acquitted, he could plea to a lesser charge, or he could be found guilty. If he plans to plea, he'll have a hard time ever owning a gun again if the charge could carry a sentence of more than one year, the same if he's found guilty of assault in Maryland. Even if he pleads guilty to a charge with a potential sentence of one year or less, he still may get probation, which may include a condition prohibiting the position of firearms. Even if there is no specific condition prohibiting it, probation officers in Maryland have such discretion.

Not a lawyer, just a layman's interpretation.

J

Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5141 Times on 2932 Posts
Likes Given: 4352

In the current climate, wait until the case is settled.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
In the current climate, wait until the case is settled.
I understand thanks for the advice everyone and by friend I mean my dad. Haha I'll tell him to wait.