Immigrating to US and looking for some answers - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Immigrating to US and looking for some answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 02:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I'll be keeping all info I can then seeking out the correct information I need so I dont break the law...I can see the US being more relaxed then here with regards to ownership, but taking it to and from the range and such I want to know exactly what the police are cool with and what would get me in trouble.

Cover all bases and I should be fine
Hey Wolfie where are y'all going to live? What state and city?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Hey Wolfie where are y'all going to live? What state and city?
Jewell, KS...its about 4 hours from Wichita, very small rural community.
- Cimarron "Pistolero" in .45 Colt, 4 3/4" barrel.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #13

Thank you for taking the time to check in to that for me, much appreciated! I was always under the impression social security benefits were only for US citizens and I never questioned it because I was happy with things that way. I never planned or wanted to become a financial burden on America, it was my choice to move here afterall so I was happy to pay my taxes and dues to support my new homeland. And yes I have a SSN, work permit and local driving license, all that fun stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Wheelspin,

Just did a check with my officers and yes you can not vote as your not a citizen, however, you can and will be able to draw your social security when you reach legal age (65 I believe). Now this is predicated on you having your own social security number.

Scubie

Wolfie, best of luck to you and your wife with the move and the whole immigration process. It can fell like a long drawn out process especially all the paperwork, background checks, medicals etc but it is well worth it and the USCIS are very helpful and friendly.

I'm still in two minds about surrendering my UK passport to become a US citizen when able to. Yes I love it here, love my wife, daughter (who was born here and is a US citizen) and stepdaughter but I still have alot of friends and family back in the UK and it would feel like I'm closing another door on them.

Heck, I have a truck on the drive that hasn't moved in over a year, a rifle, a refrigerator full of beer and an ever growing collection of hats. I'm as American as the next guy

The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country.
- General Patton

When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.
- US Marine Corps