I'm choosing to do business with a GFZ! :O - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I'm choosing to do business with a GFZ! :O

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Dont worry about it Tack...if you have sense, (no such thing as "common" sense, you either have sense, or you dont) you realize this is a sensible thing so your not getting angry and agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Tack, five years before my grandmother passed away, my father had to take her driver's license away, about three years before he removed her shotgun from the house, and two years before she passed he finally had to put her in a nursing home. he hated to do it, but with allhziemers in the advancing stages, none of us were able to take care of her as we just didn't know how to handle it. people get old, and there's just not a thing to stop it from happening. i don't see it as gun control, nor more than we see not letting an immature child not handle a firearm, until they are capable of understanding it's dangers if used incorrectly. just a reverse of going from too young for guns to too old for them due to safety.
As my daddy once said to me, when i raised some hell with him about he and my youngest playing while i was sweating my testes off trying to get some odds and ends wrapped up at dads place.

He smiled that lazy smile at me and said, "once a man, twice a boy. Now get back to work "MAN". The boys have playing to do." He then loaded the fishing poles and the boy in the truck and left me standing there sweating....

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #12
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8273 Times on 4780 Posts
Likes Given: 10700

When my father-in-law was getting old and losing his will to live I moved all of the guns out of the house except for one shotgun, and I removed the firing pin on that. After that he asked me several times to bring him a gun so he could end it all.

Many old folks get suicidal. That is probably why the policy.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 AM   #13

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
When my father-in-law was getting old and losing his will to live I moved all of the guns out of the house except for one shotgun, and I removed the firing pin on that. After that he asked me several times to bring him a gun so he could end it all.

Many old folks get suicidal. That is probably why the policy.
Suicide, mental decline, pain medications...all good reasons for ^^THIS^^ policy.

I feel better for not being upset by it and appreciate all of your feedback.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #14

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Its so hard to watch someone that you looked up to growing up to become dependant on YOU to take care of them whether(is this a real word?) they like it or not. The really hard part is taking care of them and them still feeling an amount of independance. When a human being has no dignity or feels like they have none it becomes a choir to exist. Im sure those rules are in effect for the general populations safety and well being and should not be taken personal. I feel your pain putting her there, I recently lost my granfather after taking care of things at home instead of putting him in a home. I`ve seen things man! He couldnt use the bathroom by himself and him being a WW2 Vet he told me several times while laughing that I was the biggest man he ever met. Hats off to the care givers, my granpop was a handfull and I couldnt have done it for a stranger.

Badshot

Old 07-29-2012, 03:56 AM   #15

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Our family had a similar situation involving our dad, except it wasn't firearms related. In 2009 he had a massive heart attack, within 6mos he developed Alzheimer and dementia that has since set on fast and hard

The problem was/is he is physically fit as a horse and for a while insisted on driving and going down to the garage to work with his tools. I have to tell you it was a hard thing to do taking his van away from him, then taking away any and all tools that he could have hurt himself with.

In the end you are doing what you need to do to protect your mother, even from herself. I wouldn't consider that a form of control, more like compassion and concern for a loved one

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 07-29-2012, 04:01 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8853 Times on 3833 Posts
Likes Given: 1381

It is never an easy course to take- am going through that now with my lady- but there are times when you do the things that need to be done.

Have a friend that is a gunsmith- now and again someone brings him a gun to remove the firing pin. Elderly relative, dementia. He refuses to take payment for that- puts the firing pins in storage, tells them to bring him the gun when they want it restored to working order.

Years back I was chief LEO for a hospital, and wrote the weapons policy. Visitor- anywhere but the psych unit- and you had a CCW, no problem. PATIENT? We will write you a gun reciept, and store it in our gun locker- or- if you are a LEO, hand receipt it to your supervisor- but patients did not carry in our facility. Unable to secure weapon, different reactions to drugs, etc. And YES, I WAS responsible for your safety while you were our patient.

In addition to my officers, we had some employees that carried. They would drop their sidearms off at our office, pick them up on way out. No problem.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Suicide, mental decline, pain medications...all good reasons for ^^THIS^^ policy.

I feel better for not being upset by it and appreciate all of your feedback.
Very sorry to hear about your mom though. I have been going through htis myself with my own mother recently, but she is fortunate that my brother was able to have her move in with him (this is the first time he has taken care of her, boy is he surprised at how hard it is!).

I hope you were able to find her a place that she likes and has a great staff. That is all very important to keep her quality of life.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #18

We took her our two top choices for tours and meals and signed her up at the one she liked the best. It's a little farther from home but not much and the food was superb which is very important at her stage of life.

Both came highly recommended by 2 local nurses I know personally so it really came down to what she liked the best.

She's very luck my father left her with 2 pensions plus social security...^^THIS^^ stuff is scary spendy!

Tack

Old 07-29-2012, 04:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
We took her our two top choices for tours and meals and signed her up at the one she liked the best. It's a little farther from home but not much and the food was superb which is very important at her stage of life.

Both came highly recommended by 2 local nurses I know personally so it really came down to what she liked the best.

She's very luck my father left her with 2 pensions plus social security...^^THIS^^ stuff is scary spendy!

Tack
Yeah, I hear that! Before I knew my brother was planning on taking mom in I was researching out places where she could move to (not assisted care, but senior living facilities- basically apartments for seniors) that was closer to me since I was driving 45 minutes each way to take care of her in her house. The way it turned out with her moving in with my brother is much better though. Well, better for her but maybe not my brother....

Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Yeah, I hear that! Before I knew my brother was planning on taking mom in I was researching out places where she could move to (not assisted care, but senior living facilities- basically apartments for seniors) that was closer to me since I was driving 45 minutes each way to take care of her in her house. The way it turned out with her moving in with my brother is much better though. Well, better for her but maybe not my brother....
Sounds like your brother wanted to step in an be the Hero to keep her out of a senior care facility?

Poor guy has no Idea what he's in for. Our lives have been on hold and cometely rotating around moms needs since last October.

This upcoming move will mean as much to our sanity as it will to her care.

Tack