I'm choosing to do business with a GFZ! :O
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > I'm choosing to do business with a GFZ! :O

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default I'm choosing to do business with a GFZ! :O

Those of you who caught my thread last week titled "Confronted by an idiot" may have caught that I'm in the process of helping my mother move.

I am actually moving her into an Assisted Living Facility because she can no longer seem to keep her medications straight.

While going through the business agreement with the facilities GM we came across a notice to residents that no weapons of any kind are allowed to be possessed by residents.

There are not any "gun buster" signs on the doors, nothing posted anywhere else, and the language was limited to residents only.

Now, I took possession of my mothers 1 handgun many months ago because frankly, her parkinsons makes opening a lock box impossible and with my children visiting her it was just not acceptable to have a loaded .38 in a dresser drawer.

After some consideration I realized they were not putting any restrictions on my mother that I had not already exercised and they were not banning me from CCW while visiting so I went ahead with the lease/contract.

Thoughts?

Tack

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #2

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

It's not really a GFZ if they allow you to carry your weapon in. I hope for the best for your Mom and family.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Those of you who caught my thread last week titled "Confronted by an idiot" may have caught that I'm in the process of helping my mother move.

I am actually moving her into an Assisted Living Facility because she can no longer seem to keep her medications straight.

While going through the business agreement with the facilities GM we came across a notice to residents that no weapons of any kind are allowed to be possessed by residents.

There are not any "gun buster" signs on the doors, nothing posted anywhere else, and the language was limited to residents only.

Now, I took possession of my mothers 1 handgun many months ago because frankly, her parkinsons makes opening a lock box impossible and with my children visiting her it was just not acceptable to have a loaded .38 in a dresser drawer.

After some consideration I realized they were not putting any restrictions on my mother that I had not already exercised and they were not banning me from CCW while visiting so I went ahead with the lease/contract.

Thoughts?

Tack
Tack, i am thinking this probably has to do with the safety of the residents and not really them trying to restrict or deprive anyone of their rights. many of the residents may be in the beginning stages of allhziemers, dementia and various other ailments that could put others at risk if they were to possess a firearm. if that is truly the case, i underatand and wish these elderly people had not come the condition they are in, but people get old and infirmed, it's just part of life that many of us will have to go through at sometime in the future if we live that long.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969 View Post
It's not really a GFZ if they allow you to carry your weapon in. I hope for the best for your Mom and family.
True...

Having taken care of her for the last 9 months and understand where she is "mentally" well, I just can't seem to find fault with there policy. Spend anytime in these facilities amongst the resident and you quickly realize the risk...

This is honestly the first measure of gun control I've encountered that I agree with and that scares me.

Quick...I need BKT to slap me! Or maybee OPAWW could insult my cockroach again!

Tack

Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

If it makes you feel better I have this gun because we had to take it away from my grandfather and he never made it to assisted living.

forumrunner_20120727_191051.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

Scratchammo Likes This 
Old 07-28-2012, 12:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
Tack, i am thinking this probably has to do with the safety of the residents and not really them trying to restrict or deprive anyone of their rights. many of the residents may be in the beginning stages of allhziemers, dementia and various other ailments that could put others at risk if they were to possess a firearm. if that is truly the case, i underatand and wish these elderly people had not come the condition they are in, but people get old and infirmed, it's just part of life that many of us will have to go through at sometime in the future if we live that long.
QFT...

My thoughts exactly. I'm just struggling with that fact that I've actually found a measure of gun control that's failing to piss me off...Honestly, I did not know that was possible?

Tack

Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
If it makes you feel better I have this gun because we had to take it away from my grandfather and he never made it to assisted living.
Come on now Mountain Man...you took that from your Gramps so one of your deadbeat cousins couldn't pawn it...Right?

Really dude, if you didn't trust his judgement all you had to do was unload it and replace his black powder with coffee grounds...

Don't get me wrong...protecting family treasures from our idiot relatives is a perfectly legitimate reason for securing it.

Tack

Old 07-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

It was a bit of both. He made threats so we acted.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
QFT...

My thoughts exactly. I'm just struggling with that fact that I've actually found a measure of gun control that's failing to piss me off...Honestly, I did not know that was possible?

Tack
Tack, five years before my grandmother passed away, my father had to take her driver's license away, about three years before he removed her shotgun from the house, and two years before she passed he finally had to put her in a nursing home. he hated to do it, but with allhziemers in the advancing stages, none of us were able to take care of her as we just didn't know how to handle it. people get old, and there's just not a thing to stop it from happening. i don't see it as gun control, nor more than we see not letting an immature child not handle a firearm, until they are capable of understanding it's dangers if used incorrectly. just a reverse of going from too young for guns to too old for them due to safety.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
It was a bit of both. He made threats so we acted.
That makes sence...and justifies the confiscation...

My moms parkensons got to the point where watching her hold the TV remote made you wonder if she could keep 2 out of 6 shots on a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 10'

She's honestly more of a threat to bystanders/neighbors than she would be to a threat.

It's a shame too because she used to be a pretty good shot.

Tack