Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Illinois Law: Proximity to a road?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default Illinois Law: Proximity to a road?

I've looked through the DNR website and the Illinois State Police website, and I can't find anything this specific (does not mean it doesn't exist ... )

Basically my friend and I are building a gun range on his property that basically sets in the middle of no where...but obviously there are country roads nearby.

What we're wondering is if there's a law that anyone might know of that states you have to be X number of yards from any public road/highway to discharge a firearm?

Obviously you can't shoot from the road, or shoot over the road, neither of which will be a problem...just curious on proximity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #2
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2064 Times on 1121 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
I've looked through the DNR website and the Illinois State Police website, and I can't find anything this specific (does not mean it doesn't exist ... )

Basically my friend and I are building a gun range on his property that basically sets in the middle of no where...but obviously there are country roads nearby.

What we're wondering is if there's a law that anyone might know of that states you have to be X number of yards from any public road/highway to discharge a firearm?

Obviously you can't shoot from the road, or shoot over the road, neither of which will be a problem...just curious on proximity.
I've never seen anything like that. In fact, hunting the ditches during pheasant season is pretty common.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8633 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Contact the NRA (Ummmm- you ARE a member, right?) and ask for the folks in their range section. They can give you some pointers on building a range, safety distances, and backstops.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I'm not aware of any state law, buy I know counties that do have such laws. I'd check with the state, county and local authorities.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:15 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 314 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 63

As I recall from the Hunter's Safety class that I took last year with my son, you must be inside of the private property that skirts the roadway. So if you have the shoulder of the road and then a ditch which is public property and then a fence or other boundry, you have to be inside of that fence. You can then shoot in any direction other than back towards the road. This includes parallel to the roadway.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:20 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8056 Times on 4650 Posts
Likes Given: 10400

Here in CA you have to be a minimum of a million miles (OK, that's an exaggeration) it's 100 yards from a dwelling (which includes your pup tent and possibly your sleeping bag rolled out on the ground). You cannot shoot over a public road or over a body of water.

It depends on precisely where you are shooting.

Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #7

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Here in CA ... it's 100 yards from a dwelling (which includes your pup tent and possibly your sleeping bag rolled out on the ground).

LOL
Ohhh CA...at least you can CC there

Also, yes im an NRA member, i'd be ashamed if I wasn't. Lots of people have confirmed what I thought to be true, so im going to go with that. It's a *VERY* remote location to begin with, the likelihood of anyone coming out there in the first place is ... slim. But i wanted to make sure any ways.

I really hate it when the law can't just spell it out for you. They should do for the law what the food company did for nutrition labels...just make a simple, yet effective, glance-at-it-once style fact sheet that tells you all you need to know about a specific topic.

Illinois Gun Laws:

In Illinois, we think guns are bad for you, so we must stress you keep their use to an absolute minimum and use sparingly.

Recommended Daily Dosage: 15 rounds per day or less. Consult an over priced physician.

Concealed Carry: 0
Grenade Launchers: 0
Automatic Weapons: 0
Minimum Distance from the road: 0 (as long as you're on private property)

But with simplicity like that, it'd abolish the need for lawyers...and where's the fun in that?!

/end sarcasm

But w/ it being Illinois, i'm always cautious in those grey areas where it's just because you can't find specific information about something, doesn't mean some liberal gun nazi didn't bury it under stacks of legal jargon only to be found by the most top paid attorneys.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 01-10-2012 at 11:42 AM.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1240 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1874

Just make sure you have a good backstop, such as a big pile of dirt or thick steel, and put piles of dirt along the sides of the range. That should avoid having somebody's car or house (or animal) a mile away get hit by a wild shot.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

here in AZ, its a half mile from the road..

Old 01-11-2012, 04:22 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Anyone know about homes. I may have a farm to hunt but I don't remember the distance I have to be from a home. I thought I was told 300 yards? I'm in lake county.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp