Illinois is jacking me over about my FOID what about u
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Illinois is jacking me over about my FOID what about u

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Illinois is jacking me over about my FOID what about u

So i sent in my FOID app. and after waiting 3 mths i get a letter from ISP saying that in 2006 i didnt pay a ticket and that i cant have my FOID card> i called them and told them i Paid it (which i did) they say send recipt which i had up to afew mths pryor to me moving back to ill. so i went to dmv and explained to them this crap and they say that "there system " shows that i didnt pay a $1300 fine 5YRS AGO, and they said that it just made it in to there system to make a very long story short I want to know how can they say that i cant have my foid card which legally allows me to own a gun for not paying a bogus fine, although MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT SAYS I CAN AND I QUOTE

(the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed).

How can they do this, what does my "traffic tickets" have to do with my right to hold a foid card. (I ALSO AM NOT A FELON).
THANK YOU any input -- IF ANY1 WANT TO HEAR THE FULL STORY LET ME KNOW LOL.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcolt-45
So i sent in my FOID app. and after waiting 3 mths i get a letter from ISP saying that in 2006 i didnt pay a ticket and that i cant have my FOID card> i called them and told them i Paid it (which i did) they say send recipt which i had up to afew mths pryor to me moving back to ill. so i went to dmv and explained to them this crap and they say that "there system " shows that i didnt pay a $1300 fine 5YRS AGO, and they said that it just made it in to there system to make a very long story short I want to know how can they say that i cant have my foid card which legally allows me to own a gun for not paying a bogus fine, although MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT SAYS I CAN AND I QUOTE

(the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed).

How can they do this, what does my "traffic tickets" have to do with my right to hold a foid card. (I ALSO AM NOT A FELON).
THANK YOU any input -- IF ANY1 WANT TO HEAR THE FULL STORY LET ME KNOW LOL.
Being that Illinois has the worst gun laws... herein Pennsylvania, if you owe any traffic fines they will not give you a CCW because in their eyes if you cant afford to pay your fines to the state then you should be able to afford a weapons permit. Maybe it is similar.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Being that Illinois has the worst gun laws... herein Pennsylvania, if you owe any traffic fines they will not give you a CCW because in their eyes if you cant afford to pay your fines to the state then you should be able to afford a weapons permit. Maybe it is similar.
Well regardless of what "they think" it shouldn't matter cause when the constitution was written there wasn't any stipulations "shall not be infringed" peroid which when you think about it that includeds the whole felons cant own is also unconstitutional it doesn't say the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed "as long as" but i do thank you for reading and responding. AND PLEASE DON'T FORGET I DID PAY THIS WACK @SS TICKET ONCE B4.

Last edited by mustangcolt-45; 10-26-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:20 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcolt-45

Well regardless of what "they think" it shouldn't matter cause when the constitution was written there wasn't any stipulations "shall not be infringed" peroid which when you think about it that includeds the whole felons cant own is also unconstitutional it doesn't say the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed "as long as" but i do thank you for reading and responding. AND PLEASE DON'T FORGET I DID PAY THIS WACK @SS TICKET ONCE B4.
No matter what "they think" or what you've already paid, ive got one word for you ...government. simple as that. They always have their hand out no matter what. Good luck to you man, you're gonna need it.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 10-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7643 Times on 4592 Posts
Likes Given: 9553

Calm down. Don't go ballistic on them or you are doing your cause more harm. See if the bank has any sort of records of you giving that much money to the DMV. If at all humanly possible, get that receipt. Try to solve this rationally and calmly. I KNOW the government is infuriating but you will only hurt yourself more if you go ballistic on them. How did you pay? Check? Credit card? Debit Card?

Are you sure this is not a fine you forgot about?

Whenever dealing with any government agency, always get names of who you talked to, dates and times you talked to them, the information shared at that time. Documentation is a key in the long run.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Liked 1835 Times on 950 Posts
Likes Given: 1396

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Calm down. (snip) Documentation is a key in the long run.
QFT
What she said.

1) Get proof; cancelled check image from bank, records from credit card company, whatever.
2) Write nice cover letter explaining the situation; poor department record keeping, etc. Don’t mention anything about 2A. Keep it about the department’s competency or lack thereof. Key the proof to the cover letter. Be nice.
3) Registered mail w/return receipt the cover letter & proof to the department in question;
4) cc: Registered mail w/return receipt the cover letter & proof to the department’s supervisor;
5) Note in the nice cover letter you would rather not involve your appropriate representative for constitute service and/or your local media to resolve this issue. Did I mention be nice?

Make all contact via paper. copy all letters and ensuing mail. It gives you physical documentation of what you 'said' and what they 'said' that phone conversations don't. Basically, make it seem like fixing this would be less work and trouble for them, than not fixing this.

All this presumes, of course, you are correct and did in fact pay the fine.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Calm down. Don't go ballistic on them or you are doing your cause more harm. See if the bank has any sort of records of you giving that much money to the DMV. If at all humanly possible, get that receipt. Try to solve this rationally and calmly. I KNOW the government is infuriating but you will only hurt yourself more if you go ballistic on them. How did you pay? Check? Credit card? Debit Card?

Are you sure this is not a fine you forgot about?

Whenever dealing with any government agency, always get names of who you talked to, dates and times you talked to them, the information shared at that time. Documentation is a key in the long run.
You ready for this i paid cash i'm a strong belivere in having as little of a paper trail as possible just cause . and i did have the reciapt up till recent. i'm possitive i didnt forget it cause b4 i moved to California i wanted to start new i paid all my debts , not to mention my family also remembers me [aying thoses fines cause there was mor then 1, and i was so happy to be done wit it.

I tryed to be calm aboiut it but the way they do things sad! when they said that it was from 2006 i asked them how come there was no note from the debt collection agency or phone calls (you all know if u owe the state a dime to collections you go let alone $1300 and not a peep please)! they sad they dont know but it was sent to collections so i asked for the number when i called the collections guess what they had no record at all OH IT GETS BETTER i go back and tell them this then they say that the reason that it showed up know is cause they switched systems when i asked fopr the copy they say they dont have 1 so i called down to sec. of state and asked for a copy cause threr the 1 that released my license they said and i QOUTE ( this is weird there is no paper recod and it just says u owe $1300 in the computer and that it doesnt seem rite) so i went back to the DMV and now im getting hot under the collar i tryed to tell here that california issued me a license and would not have if i had a problem in IL and that Ca requested a copy of my stuff from IL and therewas nothing then oh and by the way the 2nd time i called collections it magically appeared in the computer! and that it doestn matter owe money GOD i need a lawyer cause i feel this is a supreme court issue who knows . they ask for proof and i say wheres your proof it doesnt matter what that machine says it;s only as accurate as the minimal wage worker that puts it in is and God knows man NEVER makes mistakes LLOL and whos to say that when u "switched" systems that something went wrong. I MEAN COME ON!!!!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
QFT
What she said.

1) Get proof; cancelled check image from bank, records from credit card company, whatever.
2) Write nice cover letter explaining the situation; poor department record keeping, etc. Don’t mention anything about 2A. Keep it about the department’s competency or lack thereof. Key the proof to the cover letter. Be nice.
3) Registered mail w/return receipt the cover letter & proof to the department in question;
4) cc: Registered mail w/return receipt the cover letter & proof to the department’s supervisor;
5) Note in the nice cover letter you would rather not involve your appropriate representative for constitute service and/or your local media to resolve this issue. Did I mention be nice?

Make all contact via paper. copy all letters and ensuing mail. It gives you physical documentation of what you 'said' and what they 'said' that phone conversations don't. Basically, make it seem like fixing this would be less work and trouble for them, than not fixing this.

All this presumes, of course, you are correct and did in fact pay the fine.
You ready for this i paid cash i'm a strong belivere in having as little of a paper trail as possible just cause . and i did have the reciapt up till recent. i'm possitive i didnt forget it cause b4 i moved to California i wanted to start new i paid all my debts , not to mention my family also remembers me [aying thoses fines cause there was mor then 1, and i was so happy to be done wit it.

I tryed to be calm aboiut it but the way they do things sad! when they said that it was from 2006 i asked them how come there was no note from the debt collection agency or phone calls (you all know if u owe the state a dime to collections you go let alone $1300 and not a peep please)! they sad they dont know but it was sent to collections so i asked for the number when i called the collections guess what they had no record at all OH IT GETS BETTER i go back and tell them this then they say that the reason that it showed up know is cause they switched systems when i asked fopr the copy they say they dont have 1 so i called down to sec. of state and asked for a copy cause threr the 1 that released my license they said and i QOUTE ( this is weird there is no paper recod and it just says u owe $1300 in the computer and that it doesnt seem rite) so i went back to the DMV and now im getting hot under the collar i tryed to tell here that california issued me a license and would not have if i had a problem in IL and that Ca requested a copy of my stuff from IL and therewas nothing then oh and by the way the 2nd time i called collections it magically appeared in the computer! and that it doestn matter owe money GOD i need a lawyer cause i feel this is a supreme court issue who knows . they ask for proof and i say wheres your proof it doesnt matter what that machine says it;s only as accurate as the minimal wage worker that puts it in is and God knows man NEVER makes mistakes LLOL and whos to say that when u "switched" systems that something went wrong. I MEAN COME ON!!!!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #9

to the threadstarter, thats f*cking bullsh*t. no way around that. when it comes to ticketing and the DMV, in order to get a FOID, and CFP, I had to change my car registration and insurance from the suburbs to the city so everything would match. I can't chance them trying to f*ck me outta having my gun, so I bit the bullet (no pun) and took a car insurance increase, because I wanted my pistol.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaniemac View Post
to the threadstarter, thats f*cking bullsh*t. no way around that. when it comes to ticketing and the DMV, in order to get a FOID, and CFP, I had to change my car registration and insurance from the suburbs to the city so everything would match. I can't chance them trying to f*ck me outta having my gun, so I bit the bullet (no pun) and took a car insurance increase, because I wanted my pistol.
Thank you yeah i would love to get this out there and hope i can get this fixed cause i strongly feel this is a case for the higher courts maybe im wrong but i cant pay it if i wanted to i week ago i broke my back on a 4 wheel so im out of work . But aside from that there def in the wrong