Illinois gun laws - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Illinois gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:06 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Your used to what seems "normal" Just look next door at Indiana.There is no silly cooling off period for firearms.Illinois is the only state with a FOID card.Indiana has a carry permit for life.Indiana does not charge you a yearly fee as Chicago does for every firearm you own.Chicago does not allow gun shops to open.Chicago does not allow handgun ownership.Whew,I'm tired.Move to Indiana where people enjoy freedom.Take care aandabooks

Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7172 Times on 4316 Posts
Likes Given: 8745

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincev View Post
Your used to what seems "normal" Just look next door at Indiana.There is no silly cooling off period for firearms.Illinois is the only state with a FOID card.Indiana has a carry permit for life.Indiana does not charge you a yearly fee as Chicago does for every firearm you own.Chicago does not allow gun shops to open.Chicago does not allow handgun ownership.Whew,I'm tired.Move to Indiana where people enjoy freedom.Take care aandabooks

Yes, I understand what you are saying. But I do believe you are confusing Chicago with the rest of the State of Illinois. In the county and small farming town where I live, none of what you mentioned here applies to me, except the state law in regards to a FOID card. There are State of Illinois Rules and Regulations then Chicago narrowed their laws and regulations even further than the rest of the state.

Just saying, one can live in Illinois yet not be under the rules of Chicago.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #13

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Do I miss Illinois?

After 38 years living in the arm pit of Cahokia, IL., got fed up with the governments liberal attitude on second amendment rights and moved to a shall issue state. Lived in a very modest house in a high crime area and a small lot. The last check I wrote to St. Clair county for property tax was $4,000.00. P/U truck license plates were $107.00 per year. They taxed me right out of the state. No wonder they don't want you to own firearms and protect yourself. By-the-way, my house sold for 50k. Like getting a big pay raise here walking out the door with a 1911, .45 cal. straped on in the 8:00 position.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:12 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I see what you guys are saying in regards to the FOID card system. It is what I started with and I guess I am just used to it. Everyone still fills out a form purchase a gun no matter what state they live in.

Last session of the Illinois Legislature a CCW bill made it out of committee and got voted down due to the Chicago politicians. I have some hope for CCW. I don't own a handgun but believe that we Illinoisans should have the same rights as everyone else in the country.

What I'm not hearing here, is that there are guns out there on the market that people in other states are allowed to own and I'm not. I've never seen anything advertised in a magazine/show that I can't get in Illinois if I have the money. I do see alot of things that say they will ship anywhere but California.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 PM   #15

I'm new here but been researching the laws in Ill. to what i can own. I do know there are some limitations, now this is from memory and may only apply to city of Chicago counties(Cook) but i read...
No full auto rifles only semi-auto. I think they it can only be semi, not select it as an option.
handgun mags only can have 15(maybe 12) or less
Those were 2 that stuck out to me.
Than there was, no pistol grip on shotguns, no front fore-grip on shotguns, laser sights illegal, no home owner can have rubber bullets,slugs or sand bag ammo, one in the chamber is an additional charge/fine...
I been searching a lot but no site seems to have a collective writing on all the laws, sad really.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:30 AM   #16
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
I don't have much of a problem with it. I am a law abiding citizen,
and THIS very sentiment is one of the BIGGEST problems!!

FOID is simply registration. Its also defacto tax and IL isnt the only state to have it, MI is the same. The Fed tried it here and we here in the free state of IN thumbed our noses at the Fed. So the Fed cracked down and withheld roads funds and now our CCWs are not proper for us to use to get our handguns. Twas a time, you saw the gun you wanted, pulled out your CCW filed your paperwork and out you went.

IN has LIFETIME CCW for $60. If you want to transport and shoot, go ahead. See there is already laws on the books stating that if your felon (and you WILL be flagged in the system as such) your not supposed to have ammo or weapons anywho....so why harrass the LAW ABIDING CITIZEN!

Lastly, check the crime rates in IN then compare them to the UNfree state of IL!

Keep it up and keep "not caring" over there in IL....your HIGH tax rates and HIGH crimes are driving businesses to IN in a mass evacuation. We can use the jobs and tax revenue!

Thanks!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #17

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Illinois is the Nazi state linked firm to California. I lived there for about 3 years. Their gun laws are unbelievable. I lived right on the Indiana boarder and hunted in Indiana only so I always got my ammo in Indiana. Like showing a card to buy ammo is going to save the world in some way.... Come on...
Their gun laws are the reason Chicago is so dangerous.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 10-14-2011, 01:44 AM   #18
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Their gun laws are the reason Chicago is so dangerous.
NO NO NO Chitcago is the safest place on earth....just like DC and Commiefornica. Just ask Paul Helmke and the Brady bunch, they will tell you the truth!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #19

Illinois is awful. Especially if u live in chicago as I do. for illinois, u just need a FOID card to get a gun. that takes like 2 months to process and get back.

but if u live in the city of chicago, its a lot worse. not only do u have to have a FOID. but u have to have a CFP (chicago firearms permit). and u are only allowed to get one of those, if u take a course. then after paying for that, u have to pay another 100 bucks to the city to get the actual permit after showing proof u went to the firearms class. sh*t is ridiculous. then after u buy a gun, u have 5 days to take it to ONE place in the city between 830 and 330 to register the gun for 15 bucks. luckily, I'm not far from the place u register at, but for people who aren't, its total bullsh*t. by the way, this is ONLY so u can have a gun in your own HOUSE!!!

and u know whats the kicker. all this time, it took me to get the legal gun and what not, my house got broken into, and I caught the guys stealing my sh*t, and I had no gun!!!

total bullsh*t. I can't wait til we hopefully get concealed carry out here!

its so weird. I'm a social liberal, but a fiscal conservative. I totally believe in abortions and gay marriage, but hate bailouts and wasteful spending.

btw, I just bought a glock 23 last night, and I had to fill out a sh*tload of paperwork plus do another background check. I mean its not like the FOID background check I paid for, and the Chicago police fingerprinting I did to get a CFP wasn't enough tho.....

Last edited by beaniemac; 10-14-2011 at 03:28 AM.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:44 AM   #20

We won't get CC for a LONG time if ever. They are about to meet on it again though, i believe this month. I found this though...
DIVISION 4. - BLAIR HOLT ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

I'll try to find some more useful pages and post them here, i know sorting through the BS and checking the last year something was altered is a pain.

Last edited by BioInclined; 10-14-2011 at 08:52 AM.