Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Illinois gun laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Default Illinois gun laws

As I've been reading the other thread on California and its gun laws, it has been mentioned a few times there that they in line with or Illinois might be worse for gun ownership.

Can someone tell me what makes Illinois so bad? I grew up in Illinois and with the exception of 1 year of my 36 years have lived in this state. The one year was spent in Northern Nevada and I wasn't as interested in guns as I am now.

Possibly it is that I am so used to the way that Illinois does things in regards to guns that I am semi-unaware of how bad it really is? Someone please enlighten me.

I know that we in Illinois have these things different from other states:

FOID card-$10/10 year expiration-have to have one to handle a gun in a store or transport in vehicle. Don't technically have to have one to own a gun. If I let mine expire, they aren't going to show up the next day and take my guns. I did let mine lapse on accident a couple years ago and it was no big deal.

1 day wait on long guns/3 days on pistols. I know other states have no waiting period.

We have no CCW and that really pisses me off.

We have no magazine size restrictions/folding stock or specific weapons that aren't allowed based on looks that I'm aware of. I think Class III weapons are allowed with the proper permits but I have never been rich enough to worry about looking into it.

So what else is there that is allowed in other states that I'm not getting here in Illinois?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #2

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
FOID card-$10/10 year expiration-have to have one to handle a gun in a store or transport in vehicle. Don't technically have to have one to own a gun. If I let mine expire, they aren't going to show up the next day and take my guns. I did let mine lapse on accident a couple years ago and it was no big deal.
Really? That's insane! If you want an idea of what a state should be like in regard to firearms ownership and purchase, look into Arizona. Essentially, many members here read the Second Amendment at face value, which I also agree with.

Shall not be infringed is a big part of that. In my opinion, any regulation is in effect an infringement on my Second Amendment right. I'm not saying that the legitimate crazies should be allowed to purchase firearms, but even if they did, assuming everyone else had one as well, the crazies would be dealt with when they showed themselves as such.

Others will be along to share wisdom and knowledge I believe...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 298 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Really? That's insane! If you want an idea of what a state should be like in regard to firearms ownership and purchase, look into Arizona. Essentially, many members here read the Second Amendment at face value, which I also agree with.

Shall not be infringed is a big part of that. In my opinion, any regulation is in effect an infringement on my Second Amendment right. I'm not saying that the legitimate crazies should be allowed to purchase firearms, but even if they did, assuming everyone else had one as well, the crazies would be dealt with when they showed themselves as such.

Others will be along to share wisdom and knowledge I believe...
The application to get a FOID card issued is essentially the same as the application that you fill out everytime you buy a gun at a liscensed dealer. If you can't pass the application/backround check to buy a gun, you're not going to pass the same checks to get issued a FOID card.

I agree that the FOID card is a pain in the butt to remember to reregister and if you don't send in a good enough photo they take the one from the DMV data base. It averages to the cost of $1 per year.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 4028 Posts
Likes Given: 7911

[QUOTE=aandabooks;565825]FOID card-$10/10 year expiration-have to have one to handle a gun in a store or transport in vehicle. Don't technically have to have one to own a gun. If I let mine expire, they aren't going to show up the next day and take my guns. I did let mine lapse on accident a couple years ago and it was no big deal.[QUOTE]

I disagree here. If you let your FOID card lapse, they won't come take your guns but if you get caught driving them to a range without a FOID card, there could be trouble. Then, once you got to the range, you would need to show your FOID card to shoot.

Without a FOID card, you can't look at guns at a gun shop, you can't transport them legally, you can't shoot them unless you are with someone else who has a valid FOID card. Also, I need to show my FOID card to buy ammo. So, I think you DO technically have to have one to own a gun in Illinois. Unless your gun is just going to sit in a safe and never be used.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Smile IL-A-NOID Gun Laws

They are horrible by comparison with most any other state. Chicago is it's own nightmare. I don't live there so I am not completely familiar with their laws, but I know it took court action to make having a gun in your home legal. Now you have to register them and many are not registerable. Court action again is necessary as Chicago has banned ranges.
Illinois residents must have a FOID to touch a gun or ammunition. If you are at the range you can shoot without one, if you are under the instruction of someone who has one, this took some legal wrangling to get.
If you have access to firearms or ammuntion and no valid FOID, it is a felony. Someone with a valid FOID must have control of the firearms. No they won't come and take your guns away, but if the police come to your home for some other reason, and they find you have firearms and no valid FOID, you will be arrested (depending on the LEO of course) and this has happended.
Illinois' main trouble is Chicago controls the state and they are very anti-gun (and crooked). The results of that show up in the news regularly with plenty of shootings and murders. Of course there is a TOTAL ban on carrying firearms for self-defense. The last of the states to have some kind of right to carry (RTC) law. But, were workin on that too. Join the ISRA or Illinoiscarry to help the effort.
Some of the laws aren't so bad such as transportation and Illinois does not need a Castle Doctorine as there is no duty to retreat, but it is a real patch work of good laws that are in the minority. That's my opinion.

Last edited by jonbouy; 08-19-2011 at 01:38 PM.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
Without a FOID card, you can't look at guns at a gun shop, you can't transport them legally, you can't shoot them unless you are with someone else who has a valid FOID card. Also, I need to show my FOID card to buy ammo. So, I think you DO technically have to have one to own a gun in Illinois. Unless your gun is just going to sit in a safe and never be used.
uhh, does this sound as batsh*t insane to anyone else or just me? its like an ID card for you types. got your FOID card? "yea its right here" ohh, your one of them people. even if that is the only true thing, thats enough to not make me look at illinois on a map let alone go.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #7
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6660 Times on 4028 Posts
Likes Given: 7911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbouy View Post
They are horrible by comparison with most any other state. Chicago is it's own nightmare. I don't live there so I am not completely familiar with their laws, but I know it took court action to make having a gun in your home legal. Now you have to register them and many are not registerable. Court action again is necessary as Chicago has banned ranges.
Illinois residents must have a FOID to touch a gun or ammunition. If you are at the range you can shoot without one, if you are under the instruction of someone who has one, this took some legal wrangling to get.
If you have access to firearms or ammuntion and no valid FOID, it is a felony. Someone with a valid FOID must have control of the firearms. No they won't come and take your guns away, but if the police come to your home for some other reason, and they find you have firearms and no valid FOID, you will be arrested (depending on the LEO of course) and this has happended.
Illinois' main trouble is Chicago controls the state and they are very anti-gun (and crooked). The results of that show up in the news regularly with plenty of shootings and murders. Of course there is a TOTAL ban on carrying firearms for self-defense. The last of the states to have some kind of right to carry (RTC) law. But, were workin on that too. Join the ISRA or Illinoiscarry to help the effort.
Some of the laws aren't so bad such as transportation and Illinois does not need a Castle Doctorine as there is no duty to retreat, but it is a real patch work of good laws that are in the minority. That's my opinion.
You got it right, Jon. I live in DeKalb County, Illinois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcprofessional View Post
uhh, does this sound as batsh*t insane to anyone else or just me? its like an ID card for you types. got your FOID card? "yea its right here" ohh, your one of them people. even if that is the only true thing, thats enough to not make me look at illinois on a map let alone go.

Yes, I agree it's not the best situation but really, I don't have much of a problem with it. I am a law abiding citizen, I have a FOID card as the law in Illinois stipulates and I legally own two guns. I do not live in "The City" but in a small farming community about 50 miles west of Chicago.

Now, Chicago proper is where the problem is. Guns are further restricted there so the only people who have guns are the "thugs". They either steal guns from law abiding gun owners or they buy them illegally. Until Chicago makes it easier for the law abiding citizens to own guns, the thugs are going to be killing the innocent every night, as is happening right now.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #8

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
Can someone tell me what makes Illinois so bad? We have no CCW and that really pisses me off.
With all due respect to your home state... There it is!! It's (soon to be) the only "No Issue" state left, despite the will of it's people. Illinois, Wisconsin, and the District of Columbia are No-Issue jurisdictions (although Wisconsin allows open carry without a permit whereas Illinois and the District of Columbia forbid both open and concealed carry). While technically May-Issue under state law, Hawaii, Maryland, and New Jersey and certain cities and counties within California and New York are No-Issue jurisdictions in practice. Wisconsin will become Shall-Issue in November 2011.

A Federal lawsuit brought by the NRA and several other gun-ownership is currently challanging the Illinois government's stand. I have a LOT of friends and business associates up there... I wish them luck. If all else fails, I've told them they can always move down to where I am in Nawth Cackalakee!! We'll always welcome gun-loving Yankees looking to live free.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:04 PM   #9

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

when i spoke with any gun store owners while the chicago handgun ban was being overturned, what i found most of them would tell me is.."well, no real increase in business, whoever lives in chicago and wanted or wants a gun, has one all ready."

do you think the chief of police (which was Weis at the time) even looked at my required C&R letter to him

i almost wonder if anyone did, but i aint complaining.

thank God i went in on the investment property my dad got in AZ, thats my trump card out of this city's towering dilemnas....

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default I hope so

The ISRA and the NRA, SAF and Illinoiscarry have two suits, one each, against Illinois for their total ban. HB148 was shot down recently thus we end up in court with two law suits. Yes, you have states that do not and have not issued, but they have something on the books, which IL does not, total ban.
I am hoping it is coming. I think cracks are beginning to form, just don't know if they are enough of a crack in the machine yet or not. I think the FOID card would be good if it would suffice for concealed carry! Why not? Other than that I think it is silly and really only serves to harass gun owners. I don't think it has kept a single gun from a felon. Waiting periods are similar. I wait 1 day for long guns, 3 days for pistols. Why? So I don't order a gun in haste and shoot someone? I have gun cabinets full, why would I buy a new one. I just ordered a gun from Ruger, waited 4 weeks to get it to the FFL holder. Now I have to wait 3 more days to pick it up. It's just harassment in my mind. Sounds like something Cuba would have.
Anyway I am hoping some of this changes. If a RTC law is passed I am sure it will have a bunch of hoops to go through etc, but at least something will be on the books and you can work with that.