Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Illinois Governor at it again (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/illinois-governor-again-69603/)

mkett39 08-04-2012 04:03 PM

Illinois Governor at it again

http://nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation.aspx?st=10477

Just to let those in Illinois know if they dont already.
If you live in Illinois contact your representatives.

locutus 08-04-2012 05:24 PM

I'm not familiar with the Illinois constitution, but can a governor amend a law without the consent of the legislature???:confused:

dog2000tj 08-04-2012 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 892706)
I'm not familiar with the Illinois constitution, but can a governor amend a law without the consent of the legislature???:confused:

yep
Quote:

The current Illinois constitution, written in 1970, granted the governor four kinds of veto power:

-- Total veto, which rejects entire bills;
-- Item veto, which removes line items from appropriation (spending) bills;
-- Reduction veto, which reduces the amount of an appropriated line item;
-- Amendatory veto, which suggests changes in the text of a bill.

What the hell were the people of Illinois smoking when they let that one through? :eek: :(

Rarity 08-04-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dog2000tj

yep

What the hell were the people of Illinois smoking when they let that one through? :eek: :(

It really wasn't hemp lol

locutus 08-05-2012 12:18 AM

If "amendatory veto" suggests changes in a bill, wouldn't it then go back to the legislature for re-vote before becoming law????:confused:

If not, the governor would have dictatorial powers, and I would be surprised if the federal courts would allow that.

CourtJester 08-05-2012 12:26 AM

What an effen tool

dog2000tj 08-05-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 893078)
If "amendatory veto" suggests changes in a bill, wouldn't it then go back to the legislature for re-vote before becoming law????:confused:

If not, the governor would have dictatorial powers, and I would be surprised if the federal courts would allow that.

Bingo .... "tell him what he's won Johhny ..... that's right, a fabulous set of steak knives!!!" :rolleyes:

it's been that way since 1970 .... somehow I don't think the Fed's give a shit about Chicago corruption .... take a look at how they are operating now :cool:

WebleyFosbery38 08-05-2012 11:35 AM

Very often the wrong laws are written for the right reasons. Im sure in 1970, the people must have been confronted with an out of control electorate and decided to give the governor the power to fix it. 10 governors later, the laws still on the books and can be used by any and all in the mansion to rewrite the legislation they sign the way they want.

They do the same thing differently at the federal level. If The POTUS knows he lacks support, he can just decree it be done and/ or extend and amend current legislation to fill the gaps until they can get a solid majority. They havent passed a single budget in Washington since GW left town.

Amend, extend, revise and threaten to shut down the whole damn system but they will not fund the operations of our Gov the way we in our homes must, with a friggin budget!

alsaqr 08-05-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

If "amendatory veto" suggests changes in a bill, wouldn't it then go back to the legislature for re-vote before becoming law????
"Amendatory veto" comes from the IL Constitution of 1970. The IL legislature
has three options.
1. Confirm the governors action by a majority vote.
2. Veto the governors action by a 3/5 vote.
3. Do nothing: The governors "amendatory veto" becomes a dead issue.

mkett39 08-05-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 893078)

Yes it will go back for a vote, they return Aug 17. People always say vote them out however, The Gov. was elected by only 2 or3 counties. Those being in the Chicago area. This is where things really need changed is in the way votes are counted. You figure 98% of the state (county wise) did not want him but because a couple of the chicago area counties have such a high number on the electoral he wins. Absolutely Idiotic.