Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   illinois ccw permits? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/illinois-ccw-permits-35023/)

remington7mm 11-30-2010 10:04 PM

illinois ccw permits?

when are illinois and wisconsin going to be able to carry and concel? i have been listing to the news and i just heard about 5 shootings in chicago. When are they going to help us help them?

Nomad 1 12-01-2010 12:33 AM

Illinois Carry

There is nowhere in Illinois that a civilian can legally carry, either open or concealed. In addition the City of Chicago has a permit system to own or possess and handgun. You can find information on the legal transportation of firearms at the Illinois State Police website. The Illinois Carry Group and the Illinois State Rifle Association (ISRA) also have information on their websites.

Wisconsin is a big question right now. The state attorney general has issued a statement that open carry is legal. That said, cities like Milwaukee and especially Madison have made it a practice to aggressively harrass open carry proponents. Concealed carry is currently not allowed. There has been one case where this has been ruled as unconstitutional by a state court. It was a case involving a knife, not a gun. Not a laywer but you are at risk if you try to rely on this and carry. Especially true given the high regard WI police have for residents of Illinois. Wisconsin voters did elect a strong civil rights govenor in November. It is hoped that when the corrupt democrat (Doyle and company) is out of power in January there will be a move to legalize concealed carry.

Will Illinois ever get a carry law passed? Hard to tell but as long as three out of 102 counties can elect a govenor like Qinnn and the leadership of the house and senate it does not look good. The politicians in Chicago really do like unarmed subjects.

Join the ISRA and get engaged in the fight. This is the group that teamed with the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) in challenging and overturning the fascist gun laws in Chigaco and Oak Park in the Case of McDonald vs. Chicago at the US Supreme Court..

Your rights as a citizen are only as strong as your willingness to defend them.

winds-of-change 12-01-2010 12:39 AM

It's looking good for Wisconsin but not much in the horizon for Illinois.

schwefel 12-01-2010 01:07 PM

Wisconsin's gov elect, Scott Walker, said he would sign a concealed carry billif it came across his desk. So there is hope there.

WI also has both houses of the legislature and the senate majority leader and the assembly speaker (not sure if that is the right title) are brothers. They are also from the area where I grew up and that area is quite rural and has LOTS of hunting heritage. While hunting != concealed carry, it has been my experiance that hunting advocates and CCW advocates overlap to a great degree.

Personally, I do not expect a CCW bill to be in front of Walking until late summer. WI has a LOT os more pressing issues at the moment, specifically around the budget. It will happen, just will not be at the very top of the list.

remington7mm 12-01-2010 03:23 PM

i was just wonder and i dont know if it had been brought up before or not cause im new here. But do you really think there will be more shootings in chicago if them gang bangers did or didnt know who was armed? i think it would help alot however like said our rights are only as good as we push them as citizns!

NGIB 12-01-2010 03:26 PM

Logic has nothing to do with the situation in Illinois (or NYC, or California). The liberals hate guns and think guns are evil. Nothing will change until they are voted out and it's doubtful that will ever happen...

Nomad 1 12-02-2010 12:16 AM

Illinois CC

Remmington,

You raise the fundamental point of disagreement between gun rights and gun control advocates.

Those in favor of gun rights tend to believe that most people are good,responsible citizens who have a fundamental human right to protect themselves from aggression by the few who are not good.

The control advocates believe that most prople are bad and can only trusted if they follow the rules laid down by the elite few. Individualism is rejected in favor of collectivism. In other words it is acceptable to lose a few to random violence to maintain the general peace.

Anyway, I have found this link to be a good collection of information on issues relating to the civil rights of free citizens.

Handgunlaw.us

Enjoy

Join the ISRA

JonM 12-02-2010 03:25 AM

in wisconsin the upcoming ccw argument seems to be boiling down to whether the people are going to have no permit carry or a highly regulated govt taxed carry law. ideally people shouldnt have to wait until the govt "lets" us carry. the 2nd ammendment already says we can.

hunter Joe 12-02-2010 11:07 AM

I'm looking to take an NRA Handgun Safety Training Instructor Course as a precursor to teaching CCW classes here in Wisconsin. Oddly enough, the closest course to my location for the NRA training is in Illinois and the cost is twice as much for NRA course in Illinois as the same course that is offered in Iowa. Go Figure.