Illegal gun control laws - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Illegal gun control laws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronguyton View Post
Maybe I'm wrong, but I see the Bill of Rights as freedoms from the government on the federal level,
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

That is correct, you are wrong.

This is the from the Declaration of Independence. Our rights, as ACKNOWLEDGED by the Bill of Rights, are endowed by our creator, not granted by the government, you are born with your rights, the government can only grant privledges.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-07-2010, 03:00 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
There has to be some kind of rules to follow. If there are no rules then how would you punish wrong doers?
Tango. there ARE rules to follow, commiting a crime with a firearm, murder with a firearm, violent crimes, etc...

Those who commit violent crimes, go away foreverthose who murder or try to murder with a firearm, get the death penalty. Those who get life sentences can have the choice of a lethal injection. Law abiding citizens should not be punished for crimes they have not committed. All gun control laws do just that!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM   #13

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness

That is correct, you are wrong.

This is the from the Declaration of Independence. Our rights, as ACKNOWLEDGED by the Bill of Rights, are endowed by our creator, not granted by the government, you are born with your rights, the government can only grant privledges.
How can we have a death penalty then? Are we not taking a right granted by the creator?

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

The BoR applies to the federal government, not state governments. At least, that's how it was intended when it was written. Now that much of the BoR has been incorporated against the states, it doesn't matter whether or not state constitutions specifically acknowledge rights; the incorporation of the BoR does it automatically. (I'm pretty sure I'm against incorporation, but that's a topic for another time.)

If a felon is considered a danger with a firearm such that banning felons from legally acquiring them is impossible, then those felons shouldn't be released back into society. Keep them incarcerated or execute them. 2A doesn't qualify who may or may not own and carry arms and to attempt to tack on an addendum to 2A without the proper process of actually amending the Constitution is illegal.

The 9th Circuit Court actually DID incorporate 2A against the states, but that is the most overturned court in the nation. So it remains to be seen how this will play out and whether or not state laws making it difficult and costly to legally own firearms will be upheld or nullified.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #15

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
How can we have a death penalty then? Are we not taking a right granted by the creator?
Thank you for raising a point that I am too dumb to answer!!

You are correct, but on the same note, liberty is an unailienable right also, should we not be able to incarceate those who commit crimes? I hate to try to answer a question with a question but I will have to ponder this.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ok, my take, if a person violates the rights of another, or breaks the law, then this person must be removed from society, no arguements on this point. With that said, the punishment should fit the crime and also be a deterent to others to want to commit the same crimes. I am torn by your question still Yunus, part of me says you are right, who am I or any one else to take away someones right to life or liberty. On the other hand, if someone violates someone elses rights, I personaly say lock their arse up or give them the D.P., I am a firm believer that incarceration needs to be so horrendous that in and of itself would be the biggest deterrent to breaking the law.

Now, in MY perfect world, folks can carry whatever type or number of firearms in whatever fashion they like, THAT in itself would be deterrent to much of the violent crime we suffer today.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #17
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
Ok, my take, if a person violates the rights of another, or breaks the law, then this person must be removed from society, no arguements on this point. With that said, the punishment should fit the crime and also be a deterent to others to want to commit the same crimes. I am torn by your question still Yunus, part of me says you are right, who am I or any one else to take away someones right to life or liberty. On the other hand, if someone violates someone elses rights, I personaly say lock their arse up or give them the D.P., I am a firm believer that incarceration needs to be so horrendous that in and of itself would be the biggest deterrent to breaking the law.

Now, in MY perfect world, folks can carry whatever type or number of firearms in whatever fashion they like, THAT in itself would be deterrent to much of the violent crime we suffer today.
I just wanted to quote this. I would love to walk around in a society where EVERY citizen had the right, and indeed exercised said right, to carry an assault rifle over their shoulder everywhere they went. Talk about safe. One nut job going off would immediately be so filled with lead that they would have to use the heavy duty stretcher to get him off the pavement. Hey, I can dream, can't I?

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:13 PM   #18

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
I just wanted to quote this. I would love to walk around in a society where EVERY citizen had the right, and indeed exercised said right, to carry an assault rifle over their shoulder everywhere they went. Talk about safe. One nut job going off would immediately be so filled with lead that they would have to use the heavy duty stretcher to get him off the pavement. Hey, I can dream, can't I?
It's a dream of a society with nothing but responsible people in it. It's a utopia. I hate to make this comparison but it's no more realistic than a perfect communist society where everyone works for the benefit of everyone else and shares equally. It's just not possible IMO.

Although it is a nice dream, a place where people are actually held responsible for their actions and treated fairly based on their actions and have real freedom to do what they like so long as they are not hurting others.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #19
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 305 Times on 170 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
It's a dream of a society with nothing but responsible people in it. It's a utopia. I hate to make this comparison but it's no more realistic than a perfect communist society where everyone works for the benefit of everyone else and shares equally. It's just not possible IMO.

Although it is a nice dream, a place where people are actually held responsible for their actions and treated fairly based on their actions and have real freedom to do what they like so long as they are not hurting others.
I'm aware that it will never happen, and you are correct in comparing it to communism on the level of it requiring that people are inherently righteous. I just wish it could work, however, I'm not stupid enough to push for it, unlike out current idiot on high.

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_bald_guy View Post
I would love to walk around in a society where EVERY citizen had the right, and indeed exercised said right, to carry an assault rifle over their shoulder everywhere they went.
I bowled for a few years in a late night mens league where there were drunken brawls in the bar afterward every week. Guys who were best friends on the same team would get totally blotto, beat each other bloody and then stumble out carrying each other mumbling "I love you bro" over and over like idiots. Assault rifles would not be a good thing in that environment