Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Illegal gun control laws (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/illegal-gun-control-laws-31331/)

clip11 09-04-2010 09:27 PM

Illegal gun control laws

Since the 2nd amendment gives citizens the right to bear arms, where does government get the right to make restrictions. I don not believe in concealed carry permits or gun registration. If I have to pay a fee, get fingerprinted, fill out an application and then wait a month or 2 to be told yes or no, that sounds more like a privilege and not a right. As far as registration goes, why should the government know what kind of gun and how many I have? So that when they decide I can't have one anymore, they can come get them?

They sell gun control laws in the name of public safety. The general public is led to believe that being required to have a cpl to carry a concealed handgun somehow make them safer. Therefore they dont fight it, because who doesnt want to be safe? The same with gun registration.

cpttango30 09-05-2010 05:38 PM

Well regulated is where that comes from man.

RevDerb 09-05-2010 11:03 PM

ALL gun control is illegal according to the 2A to the Constitution.

bkt 09-06-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 344954)
Well regulated is where that comes from man.

Nope. "Well regulated" in the context of 2A means "working well together" as a mechanical clock is well regulated. It does not mean "overseen and managed".

There might be some dim bulbs on the left who presume that's what it means. They'd be wrong.

opaww 09-06-2010 08:50 AM

The only gun control I believe in is being able to hit your target

cpttango30 09-06-2010 05:06 PM

There has to be some kind of rules to follow. If there are no rules then how would you punish wrong doers?

clip11 09-06-2010 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 345434)
There has to be some kind of rules to follow. If there are no rules then how would you punish wrong doers?

There are. It's illegal for felons to own firearms, its illegal for people to use guns in the comission of crimes. Those laws need to be enforced, not a law saying you're a felon for carrying a legally owned pistol under your shirt w/o a govt. I.D. or you need to pay the feds $200 to own a sawed off shotgun. Thats infringing!

cameronguyton 09-06-2010 11:05 PM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I see the Bill of Rights as freedoms from the government on the federal level, and up to the states whether or not to restrict these items.

So any law that the feds pass that restricts gun ownership would be illegal. Even the ones to keep firearms out of the hands of violent criminals.

This is kind of a double edge sword. You restrict the violent ones, then it isn't truly free. I think the states should be in charge of items like this. Look how well regulations work in California. :D

Yunus 09-06-2010 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clip11 (Post 345460)
There are. It's illegal for felons to own firearms, its illegal for people to use guns in the comission of crimes. Those laws need to be enforced, not a law saying you're a felon for carrying a legally owned pistol under your shirt w/o a govt. I.D. or you need to pay the feds $200 to own a sawed off shotgun. Thats infringing!

You use the 2A to say that carrying is legal, even though another law says it is not. Yet your now saying the 2A doesn't apply to felons because another law says it doesn't. Which is it?

clip11 09-07-2010 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 345661)
You use the 2A to say that carrying is legal, even though another law says it is not. Yet your now saying the 2A doesn't apply to felons because another law says it doesn't. Which is it?

Felons should be given their rights back once they're finished with their sentence. For instance, a parolee not being able to own a firearm until he finishes his parole. What I'm saying is, we already have laws against a current felon, like someone on parole or probation, owning a weapon. We do not need stricter laws against everyone else.

I had a friend who was murdered in a robbery in 2007. He was on leave from the Navy. The guy that killed him was on parole from prison on another armed robbery charge. Since he was currently on parole, it was illegal for him to have a gun anyway. And the gun was probably stolen, which is also illegal. Thats an existing law. Yet he still had one, despite what the law said. So saying that because this guy had a possibly stolen gun and used it to commit a crime, that a 75 y/o great grandmother in rural MI has to have greater restrictions on her firearm rights is wrong.

Key points:

-Felons, once their sentence is up, should have their firearm rights restored. Especially non-violent felons.
-Stricter gun control laws on the rest of the population is pointless when the group these laws are suppossed to keep guns from get them anyway. In my example of my friend being murdered, his killer wasn't supposed to have a gun, but no gun control law stopped him from getting one. Maybe he stole it, borrowed it or bought it from a friend or family member, had someone with a clean record buy it from a gun shop for him or whatever, the point is, he still had a gun.