Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ill. Supreme Court Rules permitted non-residents can transport firearms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Ill. Supreme Court Rules permitted non-residents can transport firearms.

This is very good news out of Illinois.

The Associated Press
Posted Apr 07, 2011 @ 04:56 PM

SPRINGFIELD —
The Illinois Supreme Court says people permitted to carry guns in other states may transport them here without an Illinois license.

The court ruled unanimously Thursday in the case of an Indiana resident who was arrested in May 2005 with a gun in a closed backseat armrest of his car.

Leonard Holmes was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of weapon because he lacked a Firearm Owners Identification card and didn't have the gun in a case.

Holmes had a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Indiana, and the court held that Illinois law does not require a FOID card too. It also ruled the armrest served as a case.

___

The case is People v. Holmes.

Copyright 2011 pjstar.com. Some rights reserved

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #2

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

How the hell did that ruling come out of Illinois?

Don't get me wrong I think it's great news, but from Illinois? Shocked!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5289 Times on 2759 Posts
Likes Given: 333

im surprised they didnt behead the guy for daring to refuse to submit to criminals by having a ccw and firearm. how dare he do such a thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 AM   #4

I'm guessing he was arrested because it was improperly tranported. How they got to that level of a charge is beyond me. If you can legally own a firearm you can transport and use it..ie. (hunting) in Illinois. The fact that they are honoring recoprocity when no such law (ccw) exists is astonishing.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero

Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The Ill. Supreme court reversed the ruling of the Cook County Court and the Appellate Court. Here is a link to the docket with Judges opinions. Good on them! http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

wow, great ruling, goes to show how messed up the Chicago courts are that they can't even read and interpret their own laws. That provision is clearly stated and somehow they screwed that up. Way to go Illinois Supreme Court

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1353 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Amazing. High five to the High Dudes!

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 04-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Angry gun charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
This is very good news out of Illinois.

The Associated Press
Posted Apr 07, 2011 @ 04:56 PM

SPRINGFIELD —
The Illinois Supreme Court says people permitted to carry guns in other states may transport them here without an Illinois license.

The court ruled unanimously Thursday in the case of an Indiana resident who was arrested in May 2005 with a gun in a closed backseat armrest of his car.

Leonard Holmes was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of weapon because he lacked a Firearm Owners Identification card and didn't have the gun in a case.

Holmes had a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Indiana, and the court held that Illinois law does not require a FOID card too. It also ruled the armrest served as a case.

___

The case is People v. Holmes.

Copyright 2011 pjstar.com. Some rights reserved
it just amazes me that he was charged in the first place, does Ill. not know about the 2nd amendment?

Old 04-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #9

Liked 2442 Times on 1391 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

The police were trying to open a can of Leonard Holme's money.

Not surprising, at least to me.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #10

The "ARM REST" served as a case....remember that but don't use the arm rest as a case. Same thing goes for the glove box, even if it locks. If the gun is cased and unloaded(ammo seperately) you should be fine. I spent 27 years in that eastern bloc state and that ruling is very surprising. I doubt that I would have been granted that type of judicial sympathy.

NRA Member
Sustaining Member Southern Poverty Law Center
"Lighten Up Francis"
Semper gero sub gero