Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Ill. Supreme Court Rules permitted non-residents can transport firearms. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/ill-supreme-court-rules-permitted-non-residents-can-transport-firearms-41068/)

Car54 04-10-2011 05:02 PM

Ill. Supreme Court Rules permitted non-residents can transport firearms.

This is very good news out of Illinois.

The Associated Press
Posted Apr 07, 2011 @ 04:56 PM

SPRINGFIELD —
The Illinois Supreme Court says people permitted to carry guns in other states may transport them here without an Illinois license.

The court ruled unanimously Thursday in the case of an Indiana resident who was arrested in May 2005 with a gun in a closed backseat armrest of his car.

Leonard Holmes was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of weapon because he lacked a Firearm Owners Identification card and didn't have the gun in a case.

Holmes had a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Indiana, and the court held that Illinois law does not require a FOID card too. It also ruled the armrest served as a case.

___

The case is People v. Holmes.

Copyright 2011 pjstar.com. Some rights reserved

dog2000tj 04-10-2011 05:17 PM

How the hell did that ruling come out of Illinois? :eek::confused:

Don't get me wrong I think it's great news, ;) but from Illinois? Shocked! :eek:

JonM 04-10-2011 05:39 PM

im surprised they didnt behead the guy for daring to refuse to submit to criminals by having a ccw and firearm. how dare he do such a thing.

556plinker 04-11-2011 03:16 AM

I'm guessing he was arrested because it was improperly tranported. How they got to that level of a charge is beyond me. If you can legally own a firearm you can transport and use it..ie. (hunting) in Illinois. The fact that they are honoring recoprocity when no such law (ccw) exists is astonishing.

pandamonium 04-11-2011 05:19 AM

The Ill. Supreme court reversed the ruling of the Cook County Court and the Appellate Court. Here is a link to the docket with Judges opinions. Good on them! http://www.state.il.us/court/Opinions/SupremeCourt/2011/April/109130.pdf

collegekid20 04-11-2011 12:13 PM

wow, great ruling, goes to show how messed up the Chicago courts are that they can't even read and interpret their own laws. That provision is clearly stated and somehow they screwed that up. Way to go Illinois Supreme Court

7point62 04-11-2011 12:29 PM

:eek: Amazing. High five to the High Dudes!

eaglesnester 04-12-2011 03:48 PM

gun charge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 483533)
This is very good news out of Illinois.

The Associated Press
Posted Apr 07, 2011 @ 04:56 PM

SPRINGFIELD
The Illinois Supreme Court says people permitted to carry guns in other states may transport them here without an Illinois license.

The court ruled unanimously Thursday in the case of an Indiana resident who was arrested in May 2005 with a gun in a closed backseat armrest of his car.

Leonard Holmes was charged with felony aggravated unlawful use of weapon because he lacked a Firearm Owners Identification card and didn't have the gun in a case.

Holmes had a permit to carry a concealed firearm in Indiana, and the court held that Illinois law does not require a FOID card too. It also ruled the armrest served as a case.

___

The case is People v. Holmes.

Copyright 2011 pjstar.com. Some rights reserved

it just amazes me that he was charged in the first place, does Ill. not know about the 2nd amendment?

therewolf 04-12-2011 08:19 PM

The police were trying to open a can of Leonard Holme's money.

Not surprising, at least to me.

556plinker 04-13-2011 12:31 AM

The "ARM REST" served as a case....remember that but don't use the arm rest as a case. Same thing goes for the glove box, even if it locks. If the gun is cased and unloaded(ammo seperately) you should be fine. I spent 27 years in that eastern bloc state and that ruling is very surprising. I doubt that I would have been granted that type of judicial sympathy.