Ihop is a pistol free zone
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ihop is a pistol free zone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Ihop is a pistol free zone

No guns, just pancakes at Jefferson Avenue IHOP | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Quote:
You want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs. "I tell people, 'If you're complaining, that means you've got something to hide,' " Jefferson says.

From The Detroit News: No guns, just pancakes at Jefferson Avenue IHOP | detnews.com | The Detroit News

Contact them and tell them how you feel about your right to carry.
IHOP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good, I hate their friggin food anyway!

Old 04-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #3

I'm going to check my local IHOP's...if it's the same in my area I won't be eating at them.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #4

that is hilarious. They can ask all they like but they can't actually DECLARE themselves a pistol free zone and have it stand up to the law (for their workers yes, patrons no). Our bank says that too, but you can bet I carry at the bank. maybe they missed the whole part about *concealed* meaning you will never know I have it on me...Detroit is full of morons

Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3485 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I am kind of failing to see the problem here.

This is a private business that is leased, or was leased at one time, from a main company that has very little to do with the problem at hand.

It's private property that the representative of the owner wishes to enforce a security belief based on previous experiences.

They are in Detroit: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
And not the upper high end, "I live in peace and comfort next to the business moguls and Sports Stars" part of Detroit. They be in the "less than" district.

Have you been to Detroit??

I have, and at night, the manager/owner has a point - people aren't showing up after church practice.

So, this person doesn't want guns on his property for the safety of his clients.

If this offends you, then you don't go there. As this is Detroit, with some of the most arcane gun laws are anyways, I don't imagine a ton of our members are booking reservations there.

JD

Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #6

Liked 1441 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

It's Detroit for God's sake!

He will never have a customer if this is enforced!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #7

This is private property and the owner has the right to ban guns.
I think this would be a better sign to post.
handbill-crimezone-s.jpg  

Old 04-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

JD is right. This area is on the fringe of downtown Detroit. Although vastly improved since I worked the area in the 70's and 80's its an area that after dark in contolled by the nightcrawlers. After concerts and other events you either stay within the confines of downtown to eat or you head out to the suburbs. There isn't a "safe" in between place to go. Sure there are some foolish suburbanites (kids) that will try anything and go to these places but by the end of the night it isn't fun and games anymore for them. Beaten up, robbed, car, wallets, purses, cell phones stolen, even kidnapped and raped.

No one in that area bothers to abide by the law where you apply for a permit (no longer used) to purchase a gun, register it (still valid), then if you wish to carry it, get a concealed permit. Here, the right of passage is you better have a gun with you or near you by time you are 14 otherwise you might not make it to 15. Doesn't matter what you carry, the cheaper the better. We used to call them "Saturday night specials"

My partner and I took 14 guns and made arrests on each one in a span of 6 days from an area 1/2 mile north of this area, including three who were going inside to rob a liquor store.

So rest assured those attempting to eat in this particular IHOP are not you and me and your brother and his friend, other law abiding citizens, nor the pillars of the community. They are down right thugs who will put a bullet in you just because. Further, why else would off duty or retired cops be hired there and using wands to check for guns if it wasn't a problem?

BTW, sure brings back a lot of memories...good and bad.
"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

There's no problem with a private business doing that. If you don't like the policy, go elsewhere.

The biggest problem I had with the article was:

You want to make an omelet, you have to break a few eggs.

That's an awfully famous line with some really bad underlying meaning. It didn't belong in this piece regardless of the business IHOP is in.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
That's an awfully famous line with some really bad underlying meaning. It didn't belong in this piece regardless of the business IHOP is in.
The article screamed anti-gun to me. But, then again, that's just the point of view of the writer I suppose. I can totally see why a business like that IHOP bans weapons and hire security to make sure that there are no gangbangers in there at 4am in the morning slinging 9mms at each other over an argument about a bottle of syrup.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!