Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5007 Times on 2428 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

In WA State all schools are GFZ's but there is a specific exemption for CCW holders "while dropping off or picking up a student" which I suppose is fortunate since I ignore them anyway...

Tack

Old 07-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #82
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Guys, I want to point out that this gun free school zone varies by state, you need to check your local laws to make sure your in the clear.

In Mississippi, on your property, is ON YOUR PROPERTY. Also, a CC permit holder has leniency with a firearm in their vehicle on school property, and there are laws similar to the peaceable journey laws some states have. Such as, if you pass through a school zone on your way to a hunting, range, sporting event, or in the process of your daily life with a legally possessed firearm, no one is going to bust your balls. And this DOES NOT apply solely to Mississippi's new E-Permit. I could go on, and with details, having studied gun laws in Mississippi for a college class report, but it's way to extensive to do via my phone's keyboard.
My gun range is actually about a mile from a school zone, and the only way to get to it is to literally pass within 50 feet of the actual school (small private school).
Technically, you couldn't even enter the city of Paris with a gun without passing through a school zone. (unless you like a lot of backroads, and dirt roads.)
If you are coming from the North, you will have to pass two schools if you stay on the highway. Otherwise, have fun navigating the backroads. They are basically mazes in a lot of spots.
If you come from the East, you will have to pass another school a few miles out of Paris, but you will have a slightly easier time making it into the city.
If you come from the south, you will have to pass yet another school. Once again, have fun on the backroads.
Finally, if you come from the West, you will have to pass at least 2 more schools. Both are right off the highway.
Not to mention that there are about 3 more schools, and a college throughout the rest of the (small) city.

Gun free zones are complete BS. We just ignore them for obvious reasons.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 07-23-2012 at 05:27 PM.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #83
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
If somebody lives within 1000' of a school, does that mean he/she cannot have a gun in the house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
So if you live within 1000 feet of the school, then your home isn't your home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Well it is California after all.
There are exceptions for your home. But I am sure that there could be (and often is) confusion with these exceptions. Some schools in my area have implemented more stringent rules regarding guns, one of which (I forget the name of the school at the moment) had banned all guns from the campus and inadvertently included LEOs in the ban. police were prohibited from having firearms on campus and would have to give their service firearms to the school principal while they were on campus. That sounds like a good idea, doesn't it?

I also read about where a mother at a school (I believe it was in Washington or Oregon) was effectively banned from campus because she worked for the FBI and was required as part of her job to be armed at all times, off duty and on. Because of the school ban on firearms she could not come into the classroom. I'll see if I can dig up the story.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #84

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Obviously there should be exceptions for law enforcement. I trust them less and less every day, but in general, I tend to believe that they are not the ones that are going to shoot up the local schoolhouse.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Obviously there should be exceptions for law enforcement. I trust them less and less every day, but in general, I tend to believe that they are not the ones that are going to shoot up the local schoolhouse.
Neither am I..."likely to shoot up anything" I mean.

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

My club is home to many members of our local LEO community and while most all are good guys and competent shooters...none of them display skill or judgement beyond that of any of our non LEO members.

As far as I'm concerned, you a man first and an occupation second. Judging the man should not be effected by his choice of work and any cop who does not trust me with my gun in any zone looses my respect for his badge within that same zone.

Exemptions for cops are BS. Shoot next to as many of them as I have, get to know them, and you figure out pretty quickly that while there's nothing malicious about them, there's also nothing above what you or I bring to the table.

Tack

Old 07-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #86

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Neither am I..."likely to shoot up anything" I mean.

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

My club is home to many members of our local LEO community and while most all are good guys and competent shooters...none of them display skill or judgement beyond that of any of our non LEO members.

As far as I'm concerned, you a man first and an occupation second. Judging the man should not be effected by his choice of work and any cop who does not trust me with my gun in any zone looses my respect for his badge within that same zone.

Exemptions for cops are BS. Shoot next to as many of them as I have, get to know them, and you figure out pretty quickly that while there's nothing malicious about them, there's also nothing above what you or I bring to the table.

Tack
^ He's got a point. Imagine how many shooting would have been stopped had someone else had a gun. What if that teacher would of had a gun? Would Columbine, or Virgina Tech had happened the way they did? If someone would of had a gun in that theater, would there still be 12 people dead?
Gun free zones has cost us a lot of innocent lives. How many more must die before people see that?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #87

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I'm only pointing out that a gun is a required acccoutrement to the profession. And they're usually in the school under the pretense of keeping the children safe. They are by no means better or more competent than all the rest of us, not just based on who writes their paychecks.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #88
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I fully support your decision to ignore the wishes of property owners regarding your personal and concealed armament, so long as you don't REQUIRE all visitors to your home to be carrying firearms during their visits (allergies, ya know) and so long as you are compliant with any requests of GFZ owners/administrators to leave should they happen to notice your concealed carry.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I fully support your decision to ignore the wishes of property owners regarding your personal and concealed armament, so long as you don't REQUIRE all visitors to your home to be carrying firearms during their visits (allergies, ya know) and so long as you are compliant with any requests of GFZ owners/administrators to leave should they happen to notice your concealed carry.
17 years of daily CCW and I have not been made yet...think I've got this chore figured out...

Private residences ARE the one place where I will lock it in the car unless it's a close friend and I already know there comfortable with it.

Not too many mass shooting going down in peoples homes.

Tack

Old 08-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
One thing to consider when deciding whether to ignore GFZs is the state of mind of the owner. Now, we generally believe that a GFZ is a "Liberal Utopian" exercising his right. But let's consider another possibility, a gun store. Private property that are sometimes GFZs. If you carry unannounced into the store, a robbery begins and you unholster, all of the owners, their employees and stockpeople think you are WITH the burgular and engage you until you are down. Now, consider the same thing happening at a florist...or fruit stand. Any business can be equipped with armed employees and their way of determining who the bad guy is is whoever is armed in the building, besides them.

I am NOT arguing for GFZs nor do I think they should be allowed for licensed, trained, background-checked adults. However, other scenarios should be considered if we re going to be responsible for ourselves and our actions.
All good points Greg, which is why I don't carry a gun to be a hero, to stop an armed robbery, or to take command of a situation.

M gun is present to defend my life if NO OTHER OPTION is available. Short of bad guys showing up on uniform, it would be difficult, maybe impossible, to tell the difference between multiple assailants and multie employees OR "other" CCW Holders drawing down on a threat.

The last thing anyone wants is to give or take a bullet due to mistaken identity.

^^THIS^^ is why you do not "present" your weapon in a crowd unless you've already decided that it's use is needed.

Tack