Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #71
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

In some states violating a GFZ means that if the property owner/manager tells you to leave, and you don't, you are tresspassing - a misdemeanor.
But in South Carolina, violating a GFZ is a felony, with a 5 year prison term, plus they do you for possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM   #72
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6018 Times on 3152 Posts
Likes Given: 431

In wisconsin its 1000$ fine with no criminal liability pretty much a keep off the grass fine. So i just ignore it. My life and my wife's life is worth more to me than 1000$.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #73

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
In some states violating a GFZ means that if the property owner/manager tells you to leave, and you don't, you are tresspassing - a misdemeanor.
But in South Carolina, violating a GFZ is a felony, with a 5 year prison term, plus they do you for possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony.
Thats the harshised I have heard of in any state. Thays bad bews!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 07-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #74

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

So if you are driving in your truck and you go through a school zone with a firearm in the truck, is that a violation ? Lots of times in the city I don't know where the schools are.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:22 PM   #75
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8843 Times on 5118 Posts
Likes Given: 11547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
So if you are driving in your truck and you go through a school zone with a firearm in the truck, is that a violation ? Lots of times in the city I don't know where the schools are.
In a word, yes, you might. At least you would be here in CA. There was a guy arrested a few years back who was unloaded open carrying adjacent to a school zone (it seems to me as I recall that he was actually one block over from the school, but still within 1000 feet of the school.)

Here is an article on the incident, I do not know what ended up coming of the case but since then CA legislators have made open carry illegal here.

Quote:
Saturday, December 19, 2009
San Jose Man Arrested for Unload Open Carry
As reported in the San Jose Mercury News, Sherman Fontano was arrested to carrying an unloaded .357 Magnum revolver.

Fontano, who seems to think that this is all a big misunderstanding, is about to get a lesson in the arcane, convoluted, and sometimes nonsensical gun laws in California. His plight should serve as an object lesson to all people who own or are contemplating purchasing a gun in California: know and follow the gun laws in this state, or you will be sorry.

California gun laws are complex, containing provisions surprising even to long-time gun owners. Many gun owners do not study the laws regulating guns, relying on the advice of friends or relatives, which is often outdated or incorrect. I am not a lawyer, and nothing I write in the post should be considered legal advice, but one can read about California gun laws in the excellent book "How to Own a Gun & Stay Out of Jail - California Edition", by John Machtinger, who is a lawyer. California gun owners, in my opinion, should read and understand everything in this book. My statements below about the substance of California gun laws are based on Machtinger's book.

But nobody should take my word for ANYTHING! Read the book, or better yet, read the Penal Code sections for yourself.

If Fontano had read this book, he would have understood that everything that a gun owner can legally do with a gun, even possess it inside their own home, is a listed exception to the law that states that possession of a concealed firearm is a crime, and to the law that states that possession of a loaded firearm is a crime.

Fontano's gun was not loaded at the time he was arrested, so he did not break that law. But he was in possession of a concealed firearm (i.e. firearm in a waistband is considered concealed). California law defines a concealed weapon to be a weapon carried on one's person or in one's vehicle with any part of the firearm concealed from view. Belt holsters are explicitly exempted from this provision, but other garments are not exempted, including the part of Fontano's pants that covered a portion of his .357 Magnum.

The exception that allows Californians to carry their legally owned firearms outside of their homes states that the firearm must be unloaded, and secured inside a locked container. Firearms transported in this way, either in a car, or by a person on foot, or on any other private conveyance, is not a concealed weapon.

So, why did Fontano think he could carry his pistol legally? Fontano had heard of unloaded open carry from relatives:

After his brothers watched a newscast about the national movement to carry guns in public, they told Sherman "Tony" Fontano he could do that himself. Two San Jose police officers also said it would be OK.

The "national movement" referred to above is the practice of law abiding citizens carrying firearms openly to exercise their Second Amendment rights, and to demonstrate to the non-gunowning public that people with guns are not automatically criminals. The web site OpenCarry.org explains what this movement intends to accomplish and how members go about their open carry activities.

Fontano's problem was that his information was incomplete. As explained extensively on the web site OpenCarry.org, it is up to the individual to know and follow the gun laws of the state in which they openly carry weapons. In California, one needs to be especially careful because of all the exceptions that may apply to where a person may possess or carry a weapon. While unloaded open carry (UOC) is legal in many places in California, carrying a firearm into a school zone is not, and Fontano was arrested by police while carrying his gun in a school zone.

School zones comprise the school grounds and encompass the surrounding neighborhood up to 1000 feet from school property. Second, school zones apply to most any school: K-12, public and private, and college campuses. It is up to the person carrying to know the school zone boundaries, and either avoid them, or secure their firearms prior to entry. Fontano, in his ignorance, failed to do so, and was thus arrested.

Fontano can't believe the fuss his morning walk with his never-been-fired Magnum has caused.

I can. Gun owners, at 21%, are a minority in this state. Many people think that anyone who owns a gun is a potential threat to other citizens, and anyone carrying a gun in public, who is not a police officer, must be a criminal. These views are a large part of the reason California gun laws are so complex that even District Attorneys and police officers are often confused by them, and why the gun laws are becoming more, not less, restrictive, as illustrated by the signing of AB 962 into law this year.

Fontano, with his "never-been-fired Magnum" is obviously not a dangerous person, but he is a careless one. While charges have not yet been filed, he may fined himself subject to jail time, be prevented from owning firearms for ten years, or perhaps even for life. His education on the extent of the gun laws in California may well prove to be expensive.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #76
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

If somebody lives within 1000' of a school, does that mean he/she cannot have a gun in the house?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM   #77

So if you live within 1000 feet of the school, then your home isn't your home.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:44 PM   #78
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
Well it is California after all.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-23-2012, 04:50 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Well it is California after all.
I would think if you owned the home before these GFZ's where put into place....... this is a lawyers dream. There are a lot of questions that come into play with this.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #80

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
If somebody lives within 1000' of a school, does that mean he/she cannot have a gun in the house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire
Guys, I want to point out that this gun free school zone varies by state, you need to check your local laws to make sure your in the clear.

In Mississippi, on your property, is ON YOUR PROPERTY. Also, a CC permit holder has leniency with a firearm in their vehicle on school property, and there are laws similar to the peaceable journey laws some states have. Such as, if you pass through a school zone on your way to a hunting, range, sporting event, or in the process of your daily life with a legally possessed firearm, no one is going to bust your balls. And this DOES NOT apply solely to Mississippi's new E-Permit. I could go on, and with details, having studied gun laws in Mississippi for a college class report, but it's way to extensive to do via my phone's keyboard.