Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #31
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21641 Times on 12276 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

for what it's worth, i will say this, i think everyone who carries, has to make this decision based on their own conscience, and not what others say or do. a person needs to make this decision based on their own beliefs and what they feel is important. i personally don't in any way condone breaking the law, but i fully understand many of your reasons for wanting to do as you will do. many of you have made some excellent a valid points and some i agree with, and some i dis agree with.

personally, i will vote with my wallet and avoid any so-called GFZ! i will respect a business owners right to limit or restrict guns on his property, even though i don't agree with it, because it's his property. but as such, i will not do business with him and will do it elsewhere that doesn't restrict my right to carry. so as i said i may agree with many of your reasons to disobey these signs and restrictions, i just can't in good conscience do it myself, but have to follow my own path on this matter. so personally i will refuse and avoid such places until they see the error of their ways.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #32

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by libwguns

No offense taken. But the issue is the rights and wishes of the property owner, not the action (even if silent) of the person ignoring them.
Agreed, no one right can be placed above another (rights to personal protection and property rights in this case) BUT, not allowing me to protect myself should make a company liable for any harm caused there as a result of their policy...and I can and will always go where my rights are permitted to be exercised by a private property owner.

Choosing to go to a gun free zone is no less ignorant on our part than it is for those that believe they make them safe...

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

People Like This 
Old 07-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #33

Liked 4825 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by libwguns View Post
No offense taken. But the issue is the rights and wishes of the property owner, not the action (even if silent) of the person ignoring them.
I respect and observe the rights of others right up to the point where there wishes put me in harms way.

Tack
Old 07-22-2012, 04:55 AM   #34

Liked 72 Times on 42 Posts

some FAQ from MN Bureau of Criminal Apprehension on ccw https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca-divisions/administrative/pages/permit-to-carry-faq.aspx

Old 07-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #35

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

If a SD situation ever should arise while I'm in a GFZ, I'll defend myself from whatever charges I'm hit later on with VERTICALLY...thank you very much.

Thankfully, in my travels out among the English, I've seen a grand total of 1 (one) 'no guns' sign on a private business, so at least in this area, it's a non-issue. People in the south just seem to understand...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 07-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #36

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
If a SD situation ever should arise while I'm in a GFZ, I'll defend myself from whatever charges I'm hit later on with VERTICALLY...thank you very much.

Thankfully, in my travels out among the English, I've seen a grand total of 1 (one) 'no guns' sign on a private business, so at least in this area, it's a non-issue. People in the south just seem to understand...
"Funny" how the media has said not one word about how that theater was a "gun free zone" isn't it. Probably because they don't want intelligent Americans making the connection that criminals don't care about laws. Huh imagine that, criminals don't follow laws.

I've only seen two no guns signs in my area. The first wasn't a legal sign as it looked like it was made by my 3 yr old son with crayons. I disregarded it and walked in with my .45. The other is at our local FCU.

Edit: Just remembered the local county hospital also has one.

However I just read on a site that no firearms signs in Indiana have no legal weight, except for the givens like aircraft, jails, courthouses, and post offices, etc.

Here's the link to back it up.
http://www.indygunsafety.com/FAQ.html

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 07-22-2012 at 02:41 PM.
vincent Likes This 
Old 07-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #37
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2170 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 786

Here in Iowa, there's no real teeth behind any GFZ sign. If the owner of the property asks you to leave and you refuse, it's a simple trespass order. That's the same for any circumstance a property owner asks you to leave.

As many others have pointed out, concealed means concealed. I'm not going to advertise it.

The only place I leave my gun in the car is when I go to the chiro. It plane hurts to roll over on top of it.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #38
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6576

I worked in a movie theater as a kid, I will never go to one again, I wont go into the details but there is a reason the lights dont allow you to see very much, also, dont do the yellow butter ooze, ever.

Going into a gun free zone unless Im required to by law isnt something I need to do. If they chose to post that sign, I will chose not to cross it. Its like saying, do your bad deeds here, nobody can stop you.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #39

Liked 4825 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Here in Iowa, there's no real teeth behind any GFZ sign. If the owner of the property asks you to leave and you refuse, it's a simple trespass order. That's the same for any circumstance a property owner asks you to leave.

As many others have pointed out, concealed means concealed. I'm not going to advertise it.

The only place I leave my gun in the car is when I go to the chiro. It plane hurts to roll over on top of it.
Same thing here is WA State regarding private business and trespass. I just remembered our closest hospital is also posted with "no weapons". Noticed it last week after a 911 ride for my mother.

Of course taking our business elsewhere was not an option so this was ignored as is my policy.

Tack

Old 07-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #40
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

One thing to consider when deciding whether to ignore GFZs is the state of mind of the owner. Now, we generally believe that a GFZ is a "Liberal Utopian" exercising his right. But let's consider another possibility, a gun store. Private property that are sometimes GFZs. If you carry unannounced into the store, a robbery begins and you unholster, all of the owners, their employees and stockpeople think you are WITH the burgular and engage you until you are down. Now, consider the same thing happening at a florist...or fruit stand. Any business can be equipped with armed employees and their way of determining who the bad guy is is whoever is armed in the building, besides them.

I am NOT arguing for GFZs nor do I think they should be allowed for licensed, trained, background-checked adults. However, other scenarios should be considered if we re going to be responsible for ourselves and our actions.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This