Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting - Page 20
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #191
Mommy, who lights the sun?
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Wow. There's quite a bit of differing opinion here. Some of it is even expressed intelligently. Hopefully I'll fall into that category, though given the variety I'm sure I'll disagree with most of you on some point or other.

In Oklahoma there is a specific list of places you can't carry. That list includes the obvious courthouse / airport references as well as bars (but not restaurants), schools, pari-mutuel betting places, etc. One of the types of places that is NOT on the list is the private, posted GFZs.

I won't try to carry into places protected by metal detectors. I also try not to have to go there.

I won't carry into a bar because I think guns and booze are a bad mix. I do go to a bar once in a while, for a beer tasting event as an example. I leave my gun locked up in the car mainly out of respect for the proprietor (an English lady running an English pub). The area is a pretty safe area. If the area started to get a little run down, I'd probably carry concealed despite the laws to the contrary.

As far as the posted GFZs are concerned, I'll carry concealed there. I agree with a previous poster that doing so is really equivalent to carrying cigarettes and a lighter into a smoke-free zone. If the owner discovers that I'm armed and asks me to leave, I will leave immediately and not come back. I intend to carry some of those cards that have been posted above for just such occasions.

The other day I was open carrying and went to a pizza place for my grandson's birthday. I didn't see any signs. No one said a word to me about the gun. On my way out I saw that they have a gun buster sign on the door. It was thin lettering, clear background and damn near invisible. If they don't care enough to make their restrictions clear, I don't intend to inspect every surface of every door before passing through it. If they do make the restriction clear, then I won't go there.

As others have posted, laws differ from state to state. Personally, I believe that the laws regarding guns should be uniform across the nation and should respect 2A. Changing the laws that are unconstitutional costs a lot of money that I don't have. So I'm unwilling to become the test case.

I'll try to comply with the laws as they are written unless doing so puts me or my family at risk. When that happens, I'll do what I need to do to protect myself and my family and I'll try to do it in such a way that I do not become the test case. In this situation, that means (for me) carrying concealed in GFZs when I have to go into such a zone and trying not to have to go there in the first place.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #192

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I won't be caught in a GFZ if I don't go there.
Sometimes it's unavoidable...

I did not "want"'to spend several hours in the local hospital after my mothers last Ambulance ride...and I highly doubt any "cute" business card or threatening to take my business to another hospital would have any impact.

The point I think is getting lost here is "'concealed carry".

Anyone not confident they can pass through an unsecured GFZ without there Roscoe being noticed may want to rethink carrying.

I don't think either Frank or I are out looking for confrotation with business owners. This is NOT like the Open Carry fellow who try to get video reaction to what there doing.

It's simply taking responsibility for our safety, wherever we may find ourselves, and doing so in a manner that does not draw attention...unless we are unlucky enough to be present at the next mass shooting.

Some of us will take that responsibility regardless of the law because the possibility of watching innocent people die "and knowing We could have stopped it" is really much more frightening than anything the system might wish to do to us, after the fact.

Responsibility is the moral courage to do whats right...especially when others disagree.

...and of you want your property rights but don't want guns in your business. Invest in armed security and metal detectors...anything short of that is public endangerment and as I've said before...I ceased suffering fools a long time ago.

Tack
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #193
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
If nothing else I guess this thread shows who will and who will not give up there guns when "laws" are passed making them illegal. Some folks follow the law no matter how Unconstitutional or idiotic that law is because it's how they've been conditioned to be. Other, FREE THINKING folks know better and can understand that a "law" isn't necessarily "THE LAW" when it jeopardizes our safety or our Constitutionally Guaranteed Freedoms. Just because Hitler made a "law" saying guns were banned didn't mean all those folks should have followed that law and just because Obama makes a similar law doesn't mean we should either. God given, inalienable Rights are just that, Rights that come from God and no person or government can take those Rights away with any law. I have the Right to defend myself by any means necessary. I'd rather break a stupid law and be alive then be law abiding and dead.
If I understand you correctly I have to agree. If as a result of this recent tragedy Congress were to declare the United States a "Gun Free Zone" in any measure, how many of us here would do as it appears many if not most Australians and Brits did and willingly turn in their guns?

Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #194
Mommy, who lights the sun?

Liked 1932 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
If I understand you correctly I have to agree. If as a result of this recent tragedy Congress were to declare the United States a "Gun Free Zone" in any measure, how many of us here would do as it appears many if not most Australians and Brits did and willingly turn in their guns?
What guns? You mean the ones that went down with the FTF sinking? The ones that accidentally flew out my window and fell in the lake? What guns?

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 4th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #195

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
What guns? You mean the ones that went down with the FTF sinking? The ones that accidentally flew out my window and fell in the lake? What guns?
It will be stupid. Because if they ban anything and you get caught with a banned item then you become the criminal. Can anyone remember Ruby Ridge.... and that was only one guy.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #196

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
It will be stupid. Because if they ban anything and you get caught with a banned item then you become the criminal. Can anyone remember Ruby Ridge.... and that was only one guy.
apparently you cannot ... Ruby Ridge had NOTHING to do with banned firearms! Here's a little refresher for you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 12-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #197

Liked 112 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 85

It's a felony to carry a firearm onto school property in NC. We tried to get it amended with to a misdemeanor just as a stepping stone, but that language was struck and ultimately the bill never passed. In the new session I will urge my congresspersons to revisit the issue.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Terry V Ohio Commentary

Old 12-27-2012, 01:01 AM   #198

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
apparently you cannot ... Ruby Ridge had NOTHING to do with banned firearms! Here's a little refresher for you - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Ridge
I am from Idaho, the FBI asked Weaver to cut off a shotgun and then arrested him for doing it.
The parallel is if you go to jail because the guns you have now become illegal and you don't turn them in because the government traps you into being a criminal.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #199
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8274 Times on 4781 Posts
Likes Given: 10702

I cannot imagine that we (law abiding gun owners) will get through this impending legislation without more restrictions, but I hope that I am wrong. As to how they might affect me and my guns is immaterial, as I believe it is my duty as a citizen (and as a sworn defender of the Constitution) to voice my objections as loudly as I can.

If laws are passed that require registration or confiscation of firearms it is my opinion that many Americans will become criminals with the stroke of Obama's pen in signing it into law, as many will not comply. I will not argue that people should act in one way or another because I do agree with the people who say that it would be an "illegal law", so it is therefore not binding. Nor will I argue that people should turn in their guns or not.

But what do we achieve by those actions? Very little or even nothing in my opinion. The only way we can achieve anything of any real measure is if we protest vocally and peacefully. What sort of peaceful protest could we engage in that would get our message across to the anti-gunners that we are a law abiding bunch, and we do care about our children and the other innocent victims of these unspeakable acts?

Do we march on Washington DC city limits? If so then we cannot concealed-carry while doing so inside the city. How about we lay siege to Washington DC? What are Maryland and Virginia's reciprocity laws on CCW? I figure the city limits border runs about 15 miles or so, give or take. How many people would it take to blockade the entire city with people linking arms (of course boats would have to be used to cover the Potomac), but can you imagine the impact?

Any other ideas?

Old 12-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #200

Liked 4787 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Viking...the only way on earth to convince librals that they are wrong about guns is to mug there men and rape there women.

When the **** does hit the fan, these latte sipping sicophans will be the first to suffer the new reality.

Me and mind will continue to keep our faith in our god and our guns...and god help those who coming looking to change that.

Tack