Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Wisconsin frowns on it also, 9 months and $10,000 fine. And Tack, I'm really not that thin skinned, just a little "jumpy" sometimes when it comes to that subject. Had some one dish out the ultimate insult on a forum once (stated that I never served a day in uniform) so hope you understand if I seem a little touchy. By the way... Jar head or Squid?

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 08-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #102

Liked 4824 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdrduck View Post
Wisconsin frowns on it also, 9 months and $10,000 fine. And Tack, I'm really not that thin skinned, just a little "jumpy" sometimes when it comes to that subject. Had some one dish out the ultimate insult on a forum once (stated that I never served a day in uniform) so hope you understand if I seem a little touchy. By the way... Jar head or Squid?
No worries, I would double check your state law on "private" GFZ's. Public property such as parks and buildings may carry that step of a penalty but I'd be surprised if you faced the same weight of law for ignoring a retailers gun buster sign.

Oh, and neither. I server 6 years US Army Infantry 11B, or as the Airmen would say, 11 "Bullet Stoper".

Tack

Old 08-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #103

Liked 90 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I misspoke, the $10,000 is for carrying while intoxicated, it's $500 for carrying in a posted area and they can pull your license and put you in jail for 30 days. We don't have too many public owned places that you can't carry... schools, court houses, jails and I think all post offices are few. What I find odd is when I go to the nearest town of about 500 the bank has a sign, when I go to the "big city" of about 60,000 I have yet to run into one.
And Tack, thanks for your service.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 08-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #104
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

You need to be careful about GFZ's, also. They can sneak up on you. I went to an indoor shopping mall, entering via the outside door of a JC Penney store, where there was no sign indicating a GFZ, then went into the main mall to go to a food court. I left via the main mall entrance. As I left, I turned and looked at the door to see what hours they are open, and right there in my face was a proper sign indicating it was a GFZ. I'm glad my piece was well concealed and I didn't get made. I think, with the strict law and stiff penalty here (5 years mandatory), they should have a sign on every outside entrance.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #105

Liked 16 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
You can be asked to leave the premises...if you refuse, a simple tresspass charge...at least that's the law here.

I ignore the crap out of those signs unless a metal detector is involved (couthouses) and I don't feel a bit bad about it...CONCEALED IS CONCEALED. I jumped through all those hoops just do get the stinkin' permit Im not about to be hamstringed by some idiotic sign...
From what I see in N.C. according to the states website. It is not just a trespass if you do not leave, it is a misdemeanor and you lose your license. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #106

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptAhab View Post
From what I see in N.C. according to the states website. It is not just a trespass if you do not leave, it is a misdemeanor and you lose your license. Please correct me if I am wrong.
That sounds about right...I stand corrected...

That's the thing, if you are 'made' and asked to leave but DON'T, then you deserve whatever punishment you get...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 08-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #107

Liked 4824 Times on 2337 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
You need to be careful about GFZ's, also. They can sneak up on you. I went to an indoor shopping mall, entering via the outside door of a JC Penney store, where there was no sign indicating a GFZ, then went into the main mall to go to a food court. I left via the main mall entrance. As I left, I turned and looked at the door to see what hours they are open, and right there in my face was a proper sign indicating it was a GFZ. I'm glad my piece was well concealed and I didn't get made. I think, with the strict law and stiff penalty here (5 years mandatory), they should have a sign on every outside entrance.
I would suggest writing a letter to JC Penny explaining the gravity of the situation. Malls are typical owned by local investment groups who will follow there own politics but national retailers are usually much smarter than that and carry tremendous influence via the rent they pay and the vacancies they fill simply by being there.

I understand that Pennies is not to blame but IF they understood that your Familly could no longer shop there due to the landlords rules outside of Pennies perimeter, I'm quote certain you'd see the signs come down.

Personally, I'd take it a step further and write every national retailer who rents in that mall and does or does not have there own GFZ signs.

Tack

Old 08-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #108
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8322 Times on 4809 Posts
Likes Given: 10792

Here in CA a property is not properly posted unless there are signs at every entrance as well as every 100 feet of property line. I would check to see if that is the same for GFZ posting in your state. If the shopping mall owner does not have signs at every entrance then you could be off the hook legally (not that I would want to put this to the test....)

Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #109

Liked 2474 Times on 1607 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
The mall I USED to shop at had one entrance that was not posted. Of course, that's the one I always used. They have since put the p.c. no carry graffiti on it, and I no longer shop there.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #110
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1361 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 3426

Aside from the obvious places here in NW Florida (Gov Buildings, Polling Stations, Schools, oh yeah and Bars), I can pretty much carry my Px4 any where I want, and often do.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur