Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/ignore-gun-free-zones-case-point-co-shooting-68653/)

Tackleberry1 07-21-2012 02:37 PM

Ignore Gun Free Zones...Case in point, CO Shooting

I have been advocating and exercising a personal policy of ignoring "gun free" zones for many years now.

1. Concealed means concealed
2. Consequences for ignoring GFZ's are MINOR
3. Consequences for obeying GFZ's are DEALDY

Let the debate begin...:)

Tack

Zombiegirl 07-21-2012 02:39 PM

Glad you brought this up. What exactly are the consequences for ignoring the sign?

sputnik1988 07-21-2012 02:42 PM

It varies by state, in KY there are no consequences... venture a guess where my Glock 19 stays.

vincent 07-21-2012 02:42 PM

You can be asked to leave the premises...if you refuse, a simple tresspass charge...at least that's the law here.

I ignore the crap out of those signs unless a metal detector is involved (couthouses) and I don't feel a bit bad about it...CONCEALED IS CONCEALED. I jumped through all those hoops just do get the stinkin' permit Im not about to be hamstringed by some idiotic sign...

Argyle_Armoring 07-21-2012 02:45 PM

I'm exempt from those signs but I tell my friends and family, "Concealed is concealed. What they don't know can't hurt you."

dsstrpc_88 07-21-2012 02:53 PM

Here you just can't go into government buildings ie post office etc.....

Tackleberry1 07-21-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombiegirl (Post 876862)
Glad you brought this up. What exactly are the consequences for ignoring the sign?

On private property a business owner, "if they notice it" can ask you to leave. If you comply there are no consequences...if you refuse, they can trespass you which would mean a possible citation for trespass.

On public property, such as schools, penalties differ by jurisdiction but tend to fall into the "misdemeanor" category...pay a fine and your done with possible loss of your CCW.

My point is that CONCEALED MEANS CONCEALED, if a person lacks the intellect to successfully conceal a handgun, perhaps they should reconsider carrying all together.

History has proven that the MOST DANGEROUS places we visit are GFZ's. Why on earth would any rational person who's already exercising there right to personal security sacrifice this right when the potential consequences on both sides are SOOOO completely lopsided?

Many CCW holders refer to non gun folks as sheeple. I maintain that any CCW holder who obeys GFZ's are the BIGGEST sheeple walking the earth. :rolleyes:

For you Zombiegirl, being an educator, the penalty of carrying at work could very well end your career. :eek:

My company too has a "no weapons" policy which I choose to ignore because for me, my safety and the safety of my coworkers trumps my current paycheck.

Paychecks can be replaced...lives can not.

Tack

sputnik1988 07-21-2012 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsstrpc_88 (Post 876874)

That's here too, schools, post office, court house, police station/sheriffs office.

Can't carry in a business that makes a majority of profit from alcoholic beverages either, but I don't go to bars so I'm good.

Tackleberry1 07-21-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsstrpc_88 (Post 876874)

A GFZ not backed up with metal detectors, a secure perimeter, and armed guards is NOT a GFZ. It's simply and extention of some liberal utopian wet dream...:rolleyes:

Are you willing to die or watch others die to satisfy someone elses utopian ideals?:rolleyes:

My local courthous and Airport are the only real GFZ's I encounter and I do obey these...not because "it's the law" but because they meet the criteria of a secured perimeter, metal detectors, and armed security.

Tack

Flat Tire 07-21-2012 03:57 PM

It would be best to just say what each state has for violating this law and not go into who is doing what.