Idiot With A Gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Idiot With A Gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9137 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Dad- source is the FBI Uniform Crime Report, down 3.9 % over past year- number has been shrinking for some time. My point on NYC- article seems to espouse that guns are the problem- if so, why does NYC - where legal gun ownership is rare- have that many murders?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Dad- source is the FBI Uniform Crime Report, down 3.9 % over past year- number has been shrinking for some time. My point on NYC- article seems to espouse that guns are the problem- if so, why does NYC - where legal gun ownership is rare- have that many murders?
simple, NYC restricts law abiding citizens access to firearms and CCW for self defence, but allows the criminals to have them! another argument that gun control doesn't work and never will.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:51 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8453 Times on 4897 Posts
Likes Given: 11020

Quote:
Oh. OK. That makes more sense then. I expect that the FBI statistic is a 2009-2010 comparison since 2011 just ended.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:53 AM   #14

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

What a f#(king idiot.

American laws are put into place to punish the law abiding vast majority for the actions of the minute minority whose parents simply didn't love them enough.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #15

Liked 1777 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

Quote:
My point on NYC- article seems to espouse that guns are the problem- if so, why does NYC - where legal gun ownership is rare- have that many murders?
(All averages are per 100k people.)

The US gun homicide rate is 3.6. The NY State gun homicide is 2.67.

Starting in 2005, New York City achieved the lowest crime rate among the ten largest cities in the United States. Zeranski, Todd (2006-06-12). "NYC Is Safest City as Crime Rises in U.S., FBI Say". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2006-10-30.
The '08 NYC homocide rate is 6.8. This includes everything, guns, knives, bats, hands, curses, etc. I couldn't find a breakdown by weapon.

From someone's post on the ‘Ccw and crime’ thread:

As far as correlation between gun violence and regulations:
Among states without restrictive firearm regulations;
New Hampshire has the lowest gun violence rates per 100k people at 0.43.
Louisiana is the highest with 10.13.

Among states with restrictive firearms regulation;
California has the fourth highest gun violence rate at 4.82.
Hawaii has the third lowest with 0.54, right after NH & VT.

(Figures from various recent years of FBI stats, the Brady website, CDC., etc.)

Personally I think there is a higher correlation between gun violence and population density regardless of the level of regulation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
simple, NYC restricts law abiding citizens access to firearms and CCW for self defence, but allows the criminals to have them! another argument that gun control doesn't work and never will.
Not exactly.

The following is from a pie chart I can’t find again, but this is what I recall:
Something like 60-70% of gun violence is between family and ‘friends’;
Another 10-15% are suicides;
The next largest group is accidents;
AND THE SMALLEST
number of homicides were good guy bad guy confrontations, police and self-defense.

The point of the (NYC) gun regulations is primarily to limit the first bunch of stupid idiots who can’t control their temper from killing their family & friends, not to prevent citizens from defending themselves. That’s just a side effect.

Last edited by Vincine; 01-03-2012 at 03:14 AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9137 Times on 3946 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Vincine- purely anecdotal- long time friend worked in the prison system. We were discussing long term inmates, personalities. He indicated that in general, murderers were a nicer class of inmate (!!).

When I pressed him he explained- frequently had never committed any other crime, killed someone they knew, were remorseful. NOT to be confused with the psychopath that killed for the thrill.

And if you find any data on the number of deaths attributed to curses (include hexes, voodoo, and negative vibes) keep us posted, will ya?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #17

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

Oh but that's because other states don't have gun control, and that evil Gun show loophole lets you just bring guns right in to NYC :rollseyes:

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #18

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Whenever I think of NYC, I think of Kitty Genovese.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #19

Liked 199 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
... purely anecdotal- long time friend worked in the prison system. We were discussing long term inmates, personalities. He indicated that in general, murderers were a nicer class of inmate (!!).

When I pressed him he explained- frequently had never committed any other crime, killed someone they knew, were remorseful. NOT to be confused with the psychopath that killed for the thrill ... .
FBI stats (you can google this and find it for yourself) tell us that you are twice as likely to be killed by someone that you know versus a stranger.

Ergo, the less people you know, the more safe you are.

Tobacco still kills more people than everything else added together however.

Traffic is in 2nd place.

Then a whole host of other diseases.

AIDS is still a 100% killer, only it kills slowly, taking up to 15 years, while it spreads within the sexually active and needle sharing communities.

But the potentially most dangerous virus is the influenza virus. We are long overdue for a major plague.

So murder is probably the least of your worries.

Don't worry, be happy.

Last edited by Shoobee; 01-03-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #20

Liked 1777 Times on 918 Posts
Likes Given: 1351

Quote:
When I pressed him he explained- frequently had never committed any other crime, killed someone they knew, were remorseful. NOT to be confused with the psychopath that killed for the thrill.

And if you find any data on the number of deaths attributed to curses (include hexes, voodoo, and negative vibes) keep us posted, will ya?
When I interviewed for a RN position at an FCI. the doctor said the same thing. She said about half the inmates had the ‘criminal mind’, the other half did the wrong thing, in the wrong place, at the wrong time, once. (I didn't pursue the position, I was already working nights.)

Because of this I’m of the opinion that the punishment should fit the criminal NOT the crime. That there is more of a threat to the population from career criminals who’s ‘job’ is robbery, even if they haven’t actually killed anyone, than from murders who found their spouse in bed with someone else and lost it onetime.

Transylvania was one the most crime free places in Europe at one time. You could leave a gold cup at the town fountain and it be still be there a year later. The civil government was also notably corruption free. It was because Vlad would impale thieves alive on poles. I think the murder rate was pretty low too, except for him.

As far as curses go, there’s some powerful mojo in various corners of NYC. I’m of Sicilian decent and the family knows a few curses. Consequently I grew up in one of the most crime free places Queens. That we were around the corner from an ‘Italian Business Mens' Social club’ had absolutely nothing to do with it, nothing. Gabish?

Last edited by Vincine; 01-03-2012 at 02:41 PM.