An idea im trying to polish - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > An idea im trying to polish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Reverse psychology sounds like a particular method of reasoning or argumentation to me. Pretty sure that's the definition of logic.
No. Logic is " the science of correct reasoning". Reverse Psychology is saying one thing to mean something else. Just not the same thing.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #22
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

forumrunner_20120726_095448.jpg  

I don't need No stinking signature.

PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I get the idea, I like the idea (in my line of work I usually try to trap people in their words for the fun of it) but I think the biggest problem was mentioned previously. Trying to use logic or any form of intellectual conversation to overcome emotion can be a difficult task, since all they have to do is fall back on the good ol' "It's for the children" rant.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #24

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
It's the paperwork filled out when purchasing a firearm. They just added a new box to it.
Latino or not Latino. Lol
Yea I just filled that out Friday!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00

Yea I just filled that out Friday!
Nice. I did it Sunday. Tried to skip that box because its so stupid. Ffl wouldn't let me.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #26

Liked 2390 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

That is stupid I filled one out last week. Laughed when I saw it.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #27

Liked 1096 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Alot of the questions are pretty funny.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #28

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I noticed that on Saturday when I filled out the form. I checked white, but the ffl told me I still had to check if I was Latino or not, we both laughed, although I guess you could be both.
Oh and to add to the topic. Anyone who thinks Prime is not 110% in favor of 2A rights can't see past their own nose. He is very active on both this site and his (not a)blog. He is a fellow freedom loving American that is stuck in the same boat I am in. Unfortunately the water is pouring in faster than we can bail and our little boat (Illinois) is about ready to go under completely.

Last edited by JD1969; 08-07-2012 at 04:15 PM.
PrimePorkchop Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #29
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
A bad idea isn't "logic". Logic isn't about reverse psyschology. The title of this thread is "An idea im trying to polish".
Well, yeah, it is about logic. If you posit an argument for one set of circumstances and you flip the subjects, will the argument remain valid? If so, it may be a sound argument. If not, then it's a fallacious argument.

My older brother is a hard-core lefty. He embraces communism (conceptually, not the way it has been applied every single flippin' time it has been tried). After the Aurora shooting, I started an email thread with him on gun control to do as PPC wants to do: to discuss the issues, present facts, look at history, come to a sound conclusion, and have a meeting of the minds where we come together in agreement.

He presented all of the fallacious arguments the left tends to present: crime is lower in countries that ban guns (it's not), guns are too easy to get (for criminals, yes, but it's actually downright onerous for law-abiding folks), there are too many guns (277 million estimated, yet 0.03% of those legally owned are used to commit crimes, so quantity doesn't matter), assault weapons must be banned (extremely few so-called assault weapons are used in crimes), and on and on. Gunfacts is a wonderful resource for poking holes in gun-control-related arguments, by the way.

He didn't take issue with anything I said and got an education he didn't expect.

The upshot? He still wants tighter gun control and "fewer guns in the hands of the public."

My brother has a Ph.D. in philosophy and on topics unrelated to political issues can wield logic like nobody I've ever met - the guy's a genius. But once facts contradict his leftist ideas, he shelves logic and resorts to emotion. Raw, unfounded, childish emotion.

The frustration I've felt over the last several days is profound; I want to get him to think objectively about this, but he flatly refuses. Ideology trumps reason.

You can make progress with fence-sitters - I've done it many times myself. But for folks who are firmly in the statist camp, you may not make much headway.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #30

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post
So how about this: how about enabling our police to profile anyone walking down the street who looks like a gang banger and immediately conducting a search of their person for a firearm?

Let's take it a step further: how about identifying all known criminals and allowing law enforcement to randomly search their domicile for firearms?

Seems to me the knee jerk reaction from a gun grabber would be "those people have rights too!" to which we can grin and respond "you won't march into the home of a known criminal and disarm them? But you'll march into mine and attempt to disarm me?"

Discuss?

it would be a terrific idea, IF IT DIDN'T LEAVE THE BACKDOOR OPEN FOR PROFILING....RACIALLY OR NOT. anyone that looked suspicious to the police could and WOULD be detained for any action.............."papers please!!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin 1759

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me